Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Why do we need another young striker?

I know Hojlund might not be the long term answer, but we’re much weaker at other positions.
Because United don't have a second striker in the first place. Zirkzee's profile is also much different than Höjlund's. He's also the type of player INEOS are looking for in the transfer market. 25 or under, room to develop and above all, doesn't cost a fortune.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

I know Hojlund might not be the long term answer, but we’re much weaker at other positions.
As someone who's seen both in Serie A I'd say Zirkzee is MUCH better. But I've never been a fan of Hojlund, and he's done better for you than I expected him to.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Because United don't have a second striker in the first place. Zirkzee's profile is also much different than Höjlund's. He's also the type of player INEOS are looking for in the transfer market. 25 or under, room to develop and above all, doesn't cost a fortune.
I'm not saying he's a bad buy, my point is that second striker is less of a priority than first DM, first DB, first RB, or first right winger.

As someone who's seen both in Serie A I'd say Zirkzee is MUCH better. But I've never been a fan of Hojlund, and he's done better for you than I expected him to.
I haven't seen Zirkzee enough to really comment on him vs Hojlund, but the difference between him and Hojlund can't be as big as the difference between a competent DM and the corpse of Casemiro or a competent CB and whatever else we're rolling behind Martinez or a number of other positions.

Either upgrade or strong backup to Hojlund is maybe 5th or 6th on my list this summer so dropping 35-40m right at the start of the summer with those other positions unaddressed seems silly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm not saying he's a bad buy, my point is that second striker is less of a priority than first DM, first DB, first RB, or first right winger.

I haven't seen Zirkzee enough to really comment on him vs Hojlund, but the difference between him and Hojlund can't be as big as the difference between a competent DM and the corpse of Casemiro or a competent CB and whatever else we're rolling behind Martinez or a number of other positions.

Either upgrade or strong backup to Hojlund is maybe 5th or 6th on my list this summer so dropping 35-40m right at the start of the summer with those other positions unaddressed seems silly.
Ugarte seems to be the target for midfield, I don't know what DB is but DeLigt seems to be fairly close on the defensive end and United aren't looking for a right winger as Garnacho and Amad can play there.

From what I've read of Zirkzee, he seems to be the type of player that can both compliment Rashford and Garnacho but also Höjlund. This was posted on RedCafe:

I researched a lot more about him and read up the Bologna fan sentiment.

He appears to be more technical than Hojlund and has good dribbling qualities, deceptively agile and quick on a turn for a 6ft 4 player. Capable of playing deep and in the channels, but not a target man. He is best as a false 9 or as part of a front 2. He'd suit Rashford and Garnacho, also Hojlund because he thrives in link ups and getting other team mates through.

Not exactly a beast in the air, not someone to throw his weight around too much and I don't think he has an in-box presence, but appears to thrive on his late runs in to bag a goal or assist.

Also seems very active defensively, not shying away from blocking shots etc.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
This is what I wanted to specify as well, Zirkzee works a lot harder defensively than Hojlund, although it isn't hard to be fair ...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ugarte seems to be the target for midfield, I don't know what DB is but DeLigt seems to be fairly close on the defensive end and United aren't looking for a right winger as Garnacho and Amad can play there.

From what I've read of Zirkzee, he seems to be the type of player that can both compliment Rashford and Garnacho but also Höjlund. This was posted on RedCafe:

Also seems very active defensively, not shying away from blocking shots etc.
Was a typo of CB

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This is what I wanted to specify as well, Zirkzee works a lot harder defensively than Hojlund, although it isn't hard to be fair ...
I think Höjlund's no slouch either, he was pressing very aggressively early in the season but it looked like he ran out of gas later in the season. Can't blame him, since he basically had to play many games from start to finish due to lack of options on the bench. He got a bit of rest before the last couple of games and the FA Cup final and it showed. He looked to have more energy and potted a couple of goals too. So in that sense someone like Zirkzee would be good to have so that Rasmus doesn't have to play all the games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

This is reminiscent of the Edmonton Oilers constantly adding wingers and not fixing one part of their defence or goaltending.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Even though his numbers were a bit disappointing in his first year in Ligue one, Lyon made Nuamah loan permanent for a rich 28.5 mil

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Interesting rumour that Arsenal could try to pick up Rabiot on a free since he hasn't agreed a new contract. Of course there are also other teams in the mix as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad