Olympics: 2024 Summer Olympics-Paris

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Absolutely ridiculous

I don't even hate on Lebron - I know he has a ton of haters and I'm not one of them. But giving an NBA player - any NBA player - that honor is stupid. He doesn't need the fame. Give it to an athlete who can really benefit from the extra fame instead.
It's not just handed out, it's voted on by the athletes, specifically the team captains of each sport.

Reactions: adsfan and Jussi

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's not just handed out, it's voted on by the athletes, specifically the team captains of each sport.

I know I read that. I still think it's unfortunate. Team USA should just pick someone - Lebron is uber popular, not surprising he'd win a popularity vote among athletes.

If this was team canada and winter olympics, I'm sure Sidney Crosby would probably win an athlete vote. But it'd be better for it to be a non-professional athlete imo

• Haha
Reactions: Ben Grimm

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I know I read that. I still think it's unfortunate. Team USA should just pick someone - Lebron is uber popular, not surprising he'd win a popularity vote among athletes.

If this was team canada and winter olympics, I'm sure Sidney Crosby would probably win an athlete vote. But it'd be better for it to be a non-professional athlete imo
If you look at the list of athletes who have carried the flag for the US, there are quite a few not-so-famous names there. I think a big factor is who is "big" at the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron's longevity played a role here. They could have voted for him any of the three previous Olympics he's gone to. I think this year, at his age, is kind of special.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Rugby quarterfinals already on the way.
Ireland so close but so far, Fiji made it difficult for themselves but no upset in the end. An entertaining match. New Zealand already out against South Africa in the biggest game so far. Also kind of demonstrated how tough Japan had it in the same group with three of them.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
The opening ceremony hasn't even taken place yet and the Olympics are ruined in Ireland

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm personally not a big fan of the fact that they're not only letting a child rapist compete, but giving him special treatments to protect him because some people don't like child rapists.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Anyone else care about the lead climbing and bouldering event? I’m glad they have a separate speed climbing competition this time.

Hoping Janja wins again and then starts trying stuff like El Cap

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

The US HAS someone else, Coco Gauff, who is a pro tennis player.

In the past, lot of Track and Field athletes were US flag bearers. In 1960, it was Rafer Johnson.
In 1964, it was Perry O'Brien. He was the first person in the shot put to make a 180-degree turn.
In 1984, it was hammer thrower Ed Burke. In 1988, it was Evelyn Ashford, the 1988 100M Gold Medal winner. There have been some wrestlers and a swimmer named Phelps in 2016 for the opening ceremony and a gymnast named Biles for the closing ceremony.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Canada's Women's soccer team has been docked 6 points, and their coaching staff has been banned from coaching for 1 year. i mean. why not just dock them the 3 against NZ and go on. 6 points you might as well go. okay pack it up and go home.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I didnt watch the rugby whats the meaning of seven? seven teams or.... is it generally as highly touted as rugby world cup winning the olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad