GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I am starting to think that the UFA concept is not smart. It is critical that you draft and develop and also make smart trades.
Someone help me find a UFA signing in the last 20 years that made it to end of the contract and was deemed a huge success....

I think having a respected Russian veteran on the roster would be huge for Demidov.

Many long term contracts for ufas signed on July 1 dont not age well, and the GMs know full well that they likely won't age well either.

It's considered the cost of doing business, and I think it's a combination of ownership impatience and a mentality from GMs that they need to win now to keep their job going.... they can worry about the back end later, or whoever else comes in later to clean things up.

Reactions: Tyson

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The problem for Ottawa wasn't to trade away Chychrun. It was acquiring him in the first place.

He's so bad. Forget the name on the back of the jersey, he was useless. Soft, poor defensively and gave garbage effort. It reminds me of Dadonov absolutely dogging it when he was here.

Reactions: morhilane and 417

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
To add to that, their big return from the Mark Stone trade in Brannstrom wasn't qualified and just walked for nothing lol.
Just put this together, since the 2022 Trade Deadline they have traded:

Nick Paul
The 7th overall pick in 2022
The 12th overall pick in 2023
The 39th overall pick in 2022
2nd round pick (2024)
2nd round pick (2026)
3rd round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

In exchange for:

2 years of overpaid Mathieu Joseph
1 year of Alex DeBrincat
1 year of Jakob Chychrun
1 year of overpaid Dominik Kubalik
Nick Jensen
3rd round pick (2026)
4th round pick (2024)
4th round pick (2024)

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
I would have done the Mathieu Joseph trade

he would have fit the Habs identity with his speed
I absolutely would too as I always liked that player all the way back to junior. I also had a couple of run-ins with him in real life and he seems like a great dude as well. In a way, he's what Ylonen should've been by now.

Reactions: Vachon23

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Being a terrible organization - which the Senators have been, and continue to be - gets you ridicule. Especially when their fan base acts as they do.

The Habs deserved all the ridicule they got during the Bergevin tenure.
We're a great organization? By what standard? I don't get the hubris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad