GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Nah, it's one retention spot. We have Petry & Allen on retention. We can move Dvorak at 50%, which would give him a $2.225m cap hit.

I think the priority should be to trade Anderson. If there's a potential trade with a retention, they should do it asap. The sooner we get rid of him and Gallagher, the better it is. At least with Gallagher there's a chance he ends up on LTIR.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So they traded Hayes along with a 2nd round pick to turn around and pick up Joseph and a pick to help out another team? Not sure I get it from a SL point of view
Hayes might have asked to be traded and only the Pens were interested. Not every player's agent does their negotiation via the public.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think the priority should be to trade Anderson. If there's a potential trade with a retention, they should do it asap. The sooner we get rid of him and Gallagher, the better it is. At least with Gallagher there's a chance he ends up on LTIR.
We have the Penguins 2nd next year and a bunch of 3rd's, I'd definitely attach that to Gallagher leaving to Anaheim and I'd even offer them a young d like Barron or Harris in the process

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So, the Habs aren't going to sign anyone, which is fine, but they're not going to take on contracts for more assets ?

I mean, once they have totally given up on adding a top6f by any possible routes, that's something they will be probably try to do. But it's not a July 2nd kind of move, more like August.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
We have the Penguins 2nd next year and a bunch of 3rd's, I'd definitely attach that to Gallagher leaving to Anaheim and I'd even offer them a young d like Barron or Harris in the process

The Pens are trending down, their 2nd will be a good one. I think in Gallagher's case he's going to stay until the end. We're not too tight against the cap and he's a good vet and the team/fans love him. Ideally, and I don't wish it on him, he's going on LTIR.

Reactions: rahad

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Should only cost a 3rd to dump Dvorak.

Anaheim might have interest if the Habs actually want to dump someone.

Might be a wait and see what the youngsters do, but by then the Ducks will be at the cap floor..

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't see the point in wasting assets to move Gallagher or Anderson this summer. The Habs don't need the cap space, and it's not as if they are blocking roster spots for some top prospects at forward. Why spend draft capital just to open a spot for someone like Farrell?

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
How is a player whose not even signed more proven?

The team that drafted doesn’t even think he is now
I never said he was “more proven” than anything but he’s certainly more proven than 95 percent of what I offered in the trade. The only NHL player I included was Barron and he’s a bottom pair right shot defenseman at the moment. Sure he has offensive upside, but I think it’s a small cost to pay. The rest is a futures package, and McGroarty and what he is style wise/along in his development NOW, is worth more than a player who may not come over from Russia (and may not translate well in the North American game/lifestyle, and draft picks (in my opinion).

And comparing where Montreal are and where Winnipeg are in their respective spots in the league, to say “the team he drafted doesn’t even think he is now” is disingenuous at best. Winnipeg is a playoff team with a solid structure to potentially advance past the first round (*if they hadn’t run into a buzz saw in Colorado) and paid the price to add pieces accordingly. They didn’t have a spot for a rookie in their top 6. The Habs are nowhere near that, thus the reason behind acquiring the asset - to organically grow as part of our developing core.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Doesn't seem to be much interesting left on the UFA market. With the Habs still having a decent amount of cap space I wouldn't mind getting another 1st round pick or something decent to take on another teams short term contract dump like the Monahan trade.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The Pens are trending down, their 2nd will be a good one. I think in Gallagher's case he's going to stay until the end. We're not too tight against the cap and he's a good vet and the team/fans love him. Ideally, and I don't wish it on him, he's going on LTIR.I like the guy as well and I'm ok with him this coming season, but for next off season and him having 2 years left at that point, we will need the cap space if he isn't on LTRI

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I never said he was “more proven” than anything but he’s certainly more proven than 95 percent of what I offered in the trade. The only NHL player I included was Barron and he’s a bottom pair right shot defenseman at the moment. Sure he has offensive upside, but I think it’s a small cost to pay. The rest is a futures package, and McGroarty and what he is style wise/along in his development NOW, is worth more than a player who may not come over from Russia (and may not translate well in the North American game/lifestyle, and draft picks (in my opinion)
And he can turn into the Forward version of Barron for all we know.

He’s a solid prospect but so was Barron once upon a time.
And comparing where Montreal are and where Winnipeg are in their respective spots in the league, to say “the team he drafted doesn’t even think he is now” is disingenuous at best. Winnipeg is a playoff team with a solid structure to potentially advance past the first round (*if they hadn’t run into a buzz saw in Colorado) and paid the price to add pieces accordingly. They didn’t have a spot for a rookie in their top 6. The Habs are nowhere near that, thus the reason behind acquiring the asset - to organically grow as part of our developing core.
I wasn’t being disingenuous, it’s a valid argument to question why they don’t feel he’s ready to turn pro.

This isn’t a situation where he doesn’t want to sign in Winnipeg, as far as I know he does. I mean, do they have to explicitly state that he has to be in a top 6 role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad