GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I’m not sure why you’re surprised by this, Hughes is not going to panic and sign a bunch of players and block his prospects from filling spots.

Next year is going to be the final tank year, and it always was going to be.
Not an explicit tank but a "eh, let's see what happens", yes. I was totally wrong in my outlook the previous off-season. I really thought they should try to win with the axis around Suzuki-Caufield but Reinbacher, Hutson, Demidov and Slaf are the franchise's workhorses. We will sink or swim with them not with Suzuki-Caufield.

One more year of whatever and then we'll see.

I still think we can add someone to the top6, and I expect to see it happen. They offered a deal to Marchessault, that we know as a fact. Laine is right there for the taking, Necas and Zegras too maybe. We have a lot of picks in future drafts...

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Panic? How long are we going to f***ing rebuild? The Sharks and Hawks have both added talent to their rosters. Surrounding their franchise players, what are we doing? Going for Hagens again? Suzukis about to be 30 years old and we won't start competing lol.
And they. like Detroit, will never win anything.

Panic? How long are we going to f***ing rebuild? The Sharks and Hawks have both added talent to their rosters. Surrounding their franchise players, what are we doing? Going for Hagens again? Suzukis about to be 30 years old and we won't start competing lol.
And they. like Detroit, will never win anything.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I laugh when I hear the T word.
We weren't tanking last season what makes people think we will be tanking this season?
Circumstances led to our draft selection spot not tanking.
The previous year we were tanking we just weren't good enough at it.
Maybe we are going to use a new way to qualify the next season, if the management does not make corrections to improve the team for 2024-2025, without deliberately making it worse: Passive tanking.

Combine that with the fact that some teams will have improved in the Atlantic Division and you end up with a losing record, and a nice top 5 pick once again.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You guys are the ones who are not in touch with reality lol.

"Yeah next year is the year where we go big time hunting on the UFA market"

Because guys like Draisaitl and the others will be drooling at the idea of joining a team that is coming off 4 consecutive lottery pick. Makes total sense.
"Because St. Louis good coach" 🤣

Don't worry about my life pal. I've been completely MIA from these boards for the past 2+ years because I had better things to do than watch this crappy team play thrice a week.

Turns out I'll just be doing more of the same going forward. I just have myself to blame for hoping this summer would be interesting.

With a dumb fanbase like this I perfectly understand why this management isn't bothered with being stuck in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

Good luck with that
I’d say good riddance but I don’t even know who the f*** you are. You just showed up to complain one day.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Who? Lol

Attachments

• 1719856089302.gif
    1719856089302.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1719856249124.gif
    1719856249124.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
See

Because guys like Draisaitl and the others will be drooling at the idea of joining a team that is coming off 4 consecutive lottery pick. Makes total sense.

Don't worry about my life pal. I've been completely MIA from these boards for the past 2+ years because I had better things to do than watch this crappy team play thrice a week.

Turns out I'll just be doing more of the same going forward. I just have myself to blame for hoping this summer would be interesting.

With a dumb fanbase like this I perfectly understand why this management isn't bothered with being stuck in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

Good luck with that
See ya in two years broheim

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Habs fans working 9 to 5's, hoping their team will be competitive one day, hoping for something more than a yee yee ass bottom 6.

20M worth of third liners on this god damn team when they hear about your feelings :

• Haha
Reactions: iamtalbot and Mrb1p

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’m also happy Montreal stayed away from the long term contracts given out today. July 1st has always been a day when GM’s across the NHL make their biggest mistakes and today was no different, imo.

This rebuild was always going to take patience and it hasn’t even been that long. It was in February of 2022 (less than 2 1/2 years ago) that Hughes made his first significant move, replacing Ducharme with St. Louis. At that time the team had 8 wins in 45 games.

Since then, imo, this management has set Montreal on the right path. Of course it hasn’t been perfect, no rebuild is ,but they’ve been able to add a lot of quality players, especially through the draft and a couple good trades. They’ve also shown they have a strategy in place for the rebuild, adding players that will be able to grow together, while keeping a couple good veterans (Matheson, Savard) in place to make sure certain players aren’t taking on too much too quickly.

I expect this team to take another step forward next season. I expect Dach to return and fill that much needed 2nd line centre position, Caufield’s shooting % to improve, the defence to take another step forward as they get more experience, and Slafkovsky to be consistent and build off his 2nd half of last season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were another 8-10 points better next season while cutting their goal differential in half from last season.

Also, even though they didn’t add any players as of now it’s still a long offseason. They can still add, make trades, and improve over the next few months.

Reactions: MeanMugging91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Good luck with that
Free agency isn't what it used to be, you don't build a roster with free agent signings…you can compliment it if you're already strong contender.

But otherwise, its a bunch of anchors…today made me even more sure of what Hughes and Gorton are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad