GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
This team is still handcuffed by crap contracts and will be until names like Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak and Armia are out the door.
After this season dvorak and armia are gone for sure due to contract's finishing. that's what like 6 mill in cap space?

Anderson and gallagher are gonna be a lot tougher to move. with 2 more years each and still lots of cash to pay out (that is way above their value) kent will have to pay teams to take them. maaaaaaaybe anderson goes somewhere for free due to a GM thinking he can "fix him" next summer, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: Habs13

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Hell yeah it's Slaf summer ☀️

1000004350.png

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Man so many whiners in this thread. We already have bloated garbage contracts and people want them to have others? Why? To maybe hope for the 2nd wildcard spot?
Discouraging seeing teams like Boston adding good players and Lindholm or Zadorov free. We spend all those years joke of a team to draft high up. But nobody will sign here

Just going in a circle. Going to be same thing as Bergevin era, Gainey era before him, Andre Savard era before him. Suck for many years. Get playoff caliber after about 5 years but can't get players to put team over the top. Have to over pay to get them here. Have a window of year or two but end up with Scott Gomez contracts or Josh Anderson contracts.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Discouraging seeing teams like Boston adding good players and Lindholm or Zadorov free. We spend all those years joke of a team to draft high up. But nobody will sign here

Just going in a circle. Going to be same thing as Bergevin era, Gainey era before him, Andre Savard era before him. Suck for many years. Get playoff caliber after about 5 years but can't get players to put team over the top. Have to over pay to get them here. Have a window of year or two but end up with Scott Gomez contracts or Josh Anderson contracts.
Lindholm for 7 years and over $7m isn’t really the contract I’d reference to make that point.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Not an explicit tank but a "eh, let's see what happens", yes. I was totally wrong in my outlook the previous off-season. I really thought they should try to win with the axis around Suzuki-Caufield but Reinbacher, Hutson, Demidov and Slaf are the franchise's workhorses. We will sink or swim with them not with Suzuki-Caufield.

One more year of whatever and then we'll see.

I still think we can add someone to the top6, and I expect to see it happen. They offered a deal to Marchessault, that we know as a fact. Laine is right there for the taking, Necas and Zegras too maybe. We have a lot of picks in future drafts...
You sir are sadly mistaken about Suzuki. He will be the Habs number one center and deservedly so. Could be a 100 pts player playing with Demidov and Slaf

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Maybe we are going to use a new way to qualify the next season, if the management does not make corrections to improve the team for 2024-2025, without deliberately making it worse: Passive tanking.

Combine that with the fact that some teams will have improved in the Atlantic Division and you end up with a losing record, and a nice top 5 pick once again.
Not even. The players will all be pushing unless they become frustrated with the lack of support.
For me a Tank has always been at a signal from management by divesting talents and jerry building rosters.
The players react by not giving that extra second or third effort and the results are clear.
We did everything right in year two except the jerry building the roster part.
Bringing in all those rookie D wasn't jerry building they had talent.
The players continued to push and we all of a sudden started talking about CULTURE. :laugh:
There is no comparing what we did with what Chicago Columbus and those two west coast jokes did.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
After this season dvorak and armia are gone for sure due to contract's finishing. that's what like 6 mill in cap space?

Anderson and gallagher are gonna be a lot tougher to move. with 2 more years each and still lots of cash to pay out (that is way above their value) kent will have to pay teams to take them. maaaaaaaybe anderson goes somewhere for free due to a GM thinking he can "fix him" next summer, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Pretty much the point I was hinting at. And by that time, we will have kids ready to slide into NHL roles and replace them. Demidov is one year away and could potentially be in the NHL next year. Could conceivably start on the 3rd line next season. Maybe Beck too. They could be take Armia's and Dvorak's spots. If the contracts of Gallagher and Anderson can't be moved - which is what I think the case will be, they'll be overpaid 4th liners so replaced by players that are destined to play that sort of role.

So, yeah, we are building from within and not through free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad