GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
They won't be tanking for another top 5 pick, nor should they. The people on this site are insufferable with tanking year after year. It was ok for a few seasons but time to move on a bit and stop being full out losers. We got a 1st and 2x 5th in the last 3 years.
Well if you look at teams that will likely be fighting for a wild card spot next year, several of them made several moves toward improving their roster today, including Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, Tampa Bay and Washington.

Montreal has zero chances of going up much unless there are huge surprises from the current roster.

So in short, not happening for Montreal. They will not catch up with those teams this year.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think this is 2016 all over again. Way too much term and dollars getting handed out.

There's basically not a single top6 F I would have signed on the Habs to the deals they signed today.
Haven’t you heard? This is the darkest day in Habs history since the Kostitsyn debacle. I think the franchise might fold.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, because those were my words. You people make up shit in your heads and run with LMFAO. I never even spoke about the UFA period.
How are you not tanking if you don't add free agents? Am I missing something? You have the players you have and it's either good enough to win more games or it's not. So you're talking about trading young players for mid level trash then? Nobody is talking about trading Suzuki or Caufield to lose more games. They're talking about not signing 3rd liners for stupid contracts so we get another 10 points in the standings.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Next offseason should be a fun one for us.
-Another high 1st
-FLA 1st could be better than expected with half of their top 4 gone and Reinhart going back to his 30 goal pace
-Petry/Allen/Dvorak/Armia off the books
-Anderson/Gallagher buy outs
-Full year of development for Mailloux/Reinbacher/Hutson and Demidov comes over
-Could see Price contract getting traded since it will be in its final year

All our top prospects will be in the NHL and we will have a shit ton of money to add impact players. I'm going to be judging Hughes based on next year.
Calgary could come in 11th last, you never know.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It takes more than 2-3 seasons to tear down and rebuild. Everyone wanted the team to do that, but many didn't realize it wasn't a 1-2 year thing.
I am talking since 1993....over 30 years of teams that were only good if the goalies stole a game or a series. No exciting forward since Kovalev.

Reactions: habsfan891

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
How are you not tanking if you don't add free agents? Am I missing something? You have the players you have and it's either good enough to win more games or it's not. So you're talking about trading young players for mid level trash then? Nobody is talking about trading Suzuki or Caufield to lose more games. They're talking about not signing 3rd liners for stupid contracts so we get another 10 points in the standings.
You obviously have no clue what tanking is or what building properly is. Let me educate you....tanking is the deliberate selling off of players to go the lowest possible in the standings. I don't blame you since 90% of this board calls what we did last season tanking (which it's not). You need to improve a bit each season and win a bit to encourage the young players, whether you like it or not.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
They won't be tanking for another top 5 pick, nor should they. The people on this site are insufferable with tanking year after year. It was ok for a few seasons but time to move on a bit and stop being full out losers. We got a 1st and 2x 5th in the last 3 years.
That's exactly what they are doing.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Agreed totally but the cycle continues...I didn't expect the Habs to become a contender today, I am just tired of the mediocrity.

I get it. I feel the same way but for once I see this org has a plan. In a matter of 2 + yrs they have added Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Rein, Demidov, Hutson, Hage, etc.

This mgt team has a plan and it is starting to turn around. UFA day is mostly garbage.

Lots of time this summer to add.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It’s f***ing 3pm on July 1st. If I’m Copernicus, you’re Christopher Columbus thinking he found India by going West.

I’m assuming you’re one of those that thought Bergevin wasn’t that bad.

Guy like 30 minutes ago "We HaVe To KeEp MoNeY tO SiGn SlAf AnD GuHlE"

Guy now: "ThErE'S PlEnTy Of TiMe To Do SoMeThInG We'Re JuSt JuLy 1st"

Literally speaking both sides of your mouth.

Just say you'll take whatever turd they serve you and eat it like it's chocolate cake ffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad