GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It’s almost as if they’d like to have cap space to re-sign Slafkovsky and Guhle.

How much do you think they'll cost? Nor have their contracts coming up this summer? More money will be freed up next year. If you're suggesting that the Habs don't have the coins to make moves this summer that's dumb as f***.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How much do you think they'll cost? Nor have their contracts coming up this summer? More money will be freed up next year. If you're suggesting that the Habs don't have the coins to make moves this summer that's dumb as f***.
Yeah lots of reasonably priced one year deals handed out today

The only thing that’s dumb as f*** is whining about a rebuilding team not handing out bloated contracts 2 hours into free agency.

Mcdonaldz

Jul 26, 2021
It’s cute how these fake insiders and journalists are having each others backs to pretend they have any info lol

Oh oh David Ettidegui says habs are shifting gear on Laine… let’s pretend he knows something because he had a pic with Gally lol

• Haha
Reactions: CapSpace

ohiohabsfan29

Mar 16, 2022
I think the last point you make is already happening. I'm 32 years old and it really feels like people my age and younger don't give a f*** about the Canadiens and haven't given a f*** about them in a long time besides the Cup run.

Whenever I'm shooting the shit with people my age it's always about NBA/NFL/European soccer than the NHL. I've certainly had a ton more fun following the Ravens (I have no ties to Baltimore) than the Canadiens for a while now. I'm going to fly there for a game this year. Unless my nephew wants to catch a game I have little incentive to actually go to the Bell Center. And even the IRL friends I used to follow the Habs with have all fallen off when it comes to Habs talk because of a combination of they suck/they're not fun to follow and my time is more limited than it used to be so I'll do something else.

That’s total BS. Half of the people on this board have been rooting for this team to deliberately lose every game the last three years, and then telling those of us who actually root for our favorite team to win each night that we are idiots who don’t see the big picture and all that nonsense.

If you can’t find watching Suzuki and Caufield and Slaf and those guys fun to follow you’re probably right it’s probably time to find something else to watch.

Signing a bunch of plugs at 4x4 just so the team can make news today because some fans feel left out is just silly.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Again, I’m going to ask the people whining here:

Which UFA signings handed out today do you wish would have been signed by the Habs instead? Again, add probably 1 or 1.5 mill per due to the Quebec taxes factor.

I’m genuinely curious.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I think the last point you make is already happening. I'm 32 years old and it really feels like people my age and younger don't give a f*** about the Canadiens and haven't given a f*** about them in a long time besides the Cup run. They def feel like an old people hobby and a habit more than anything else.

Whenever I'm shooting the shit with people my age it's always about NBA/NFL/European soccer than the NHL. I've certainly had a ton more fun following the Ravens (I have no ties to Baltimore) than the Canadiens for a while now. I'm going to fly there for a game this year. Unless my nephew wants to catch a game I have little incentive to actually go to the Bell Center. And even the IRL friends I used to follow the Habs with have all fallen off when it comes to Habs talk because of a combination of they suck/they're not fun to follow and my time is more limited than it used to be so I'll do something else.
Even older folks don't give a f*** anymore. These guys saw Stanley Cup in Montreal, they only care about playoff hockey. Most of the 40+ folks I talk to don't get the "rebuilding" mentally, think it is complete BS.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That’s total BS. Half of the people on this board have been rooting for this team to deliberately lose every game the last three years, and then telling those of us who actually root for our favorite team to win each night that we are idiots who don’t see the big picture and all that nonsense.

If you can’t find watching Suzuki and Caufield and Slaf and those guys fun to follow you’re probably right it’s probably time to find something else to watch.

Signing a bunch of plugs at 4x4 just so the team can make news today because some fans feel left out is just silly.

I still watch the Habs and follow because I'm in the habit of doing it. I'd be lying if I don't get burnt out on them midway through the year though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Chicago also need to speed up their rebuild with Bedard entering the 2nd year of his ELC and much more cap space.

Had Bergevin not handcuffed us with Anderson, Gallagher, and Dvorak taking up a combined 16.5mil (Almost 20% of our cap space), Kent would have more room to work with and be aggressive.

Marchessault just said Montreal was his second favorite destination on RDS. Don't know how much true there is to it in this. Like what the new management is doing.
It's true. We were. We have always been and always will be every Quebecois' 2nd favorite destination.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It’s almost as if they’d like to have cap space to re-sign Slafkovsky and Guhle.

They have 20M in cap space. Armia, Dvorak and Savard are gone next summer. AND the salary cap is still bound to increase by another 4 or 5M.

That's like 35-40M in cap space almost exclusively for this.

One of those guys has had ONE good half-season and the other one is a second pair D.

This is a non-argument.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Literally a tax accountant could do it in a minute, you take the average tax across the entire league, then each team gets a credit or a deduct from the cap. When it was just Canadian teams it wasnt a problem but now that the northern us teams are getting screwed it’ll be a bigger problem. Especially when those southern us teams also get transfers from the rich northern teams. You better believe the owners are going to be bitching about it soon

ould I

Will there be credits for weather, lack of privacy, and then offsetting for greater endorsement potential? How about credits for teams in markets that have insane travel?

That's a slippery slope.

Regardless, tax is a super complex issue. Even guys on the same team with similar salaries can have completely different tax bills based on how they structure their affairs. Matthews for example is paying a very favorable tax rate despite playing in Canada.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They have 20M in cap space. Armia, Dvorak and Savard are gone next summer. AND the salary cap is still bound to increase by another 4 or 5M.

That's like 35-40M in cap space almost exclusively for this.

One of those guys has had ONE good half-season and the other one is a second pair D.

This is a non-argument.
Damn you convinced me. We should have given Edmundson an extra year and $4m per.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad