GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree, ABB was a pretty good deal.

I think Hughes will get a top6 forward this summer, either via trade or FA.

But as he said, no older guys on long deals, so DeBrusk, Marchessault, Stamkos, Lindholm, Toffoli and the like were not options.

Duclair, Skinner, Tarasenko, Pacioretty still out there. But you'd think if they took a one or two year deal it would be with a contender.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hughes doesn’t even need to come out for a press conference, we can just recicle one of bergevin’s old oops we tried but it’s hard.

No way Hughes says anything close to that. He's going to say we weren't interested in signing long-term contracts this summer. Which if you've been paying attention is what he said previously.

Montreal said they would do very little in UFA this year, and to not expect much.

They're not trying at all - deliberately.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Impossible to manage some 25 different locales & taxation plans

If the biggest markets in the league continue to be pissed off about it, they'll find a way to do something. The league is and always has been controlled by what the owners want, not what Bettman or anyone else wants.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Of course he won't say something publicly but when 4 of the last 5 cup winners won exactly because they could sign player at a much lower price than markets dictacte, just like Reinhart who you've asked notrh of 10M in NY, TO or MTL. It's getting more and more obvious each year. Players target those places.

And why the player's association would be against that...it's just more money for the players in the end. Riche teams are the ones sharing the most their revenues and they are mostly the ones suffering from these differences, I'm sure they are not too happy about it.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Literally a tax accountant could do it in a minute, you take the average tax across the entire league, then each team gets a credit or a deduct from the cap. When it was just Canadian teams it wasnt a problem but now that the northern us teams are getting screwed it’ll be a bigger problem. Especially when those southern us teams also get transfers from the rich northern teams. You better believe the owners are going to be bitching about it soon
Impossible to manage some 25 different locales & taxation plans
ould I

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
REALLY!!?? Some people are mad that their doing nothing today!??Going crazy and signing players in their late 20s-early 30S to 6-7 yrs expensive contracts is the reason were stuck with Gallagher, Anderson and just finish paying Alzner, it was also the main reason we were mid for 30yrs

ohiohabsfan29

Mar 16, 2022
Why guys are losing their minds Hugo has not signed some washed up vet to rediculous $ and term is beyond me!!

The $ and term being giving out today is garbage. We need more anchor contracts, lol.

People never learn. Some of the comments on here are laughable.

Exactly. The same people losing their minds that KH hasn’t signed some vet to some ridiculous contract are the same people whining KH can’t deal the ridiculous contracts he inherited.

Rinse. Repeat.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad