GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Who's left?

I still think we should be looking at a stop-gap top 6 winger to play with Dach on a 1 or 2 year deal, who can latter deal for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

- Duclair
- Skinner
- Terravainen (Chicago?)
- Bertuzzi (Chicago?)
- Henrique
- Tarasenko
- vrana (?)
- Pacioretty
- Olofsson
- Zucker

Some past Habs killers on that list.

Skinner, Henrique, Tarasenko, Vrana, Pacioretty & Olofsson are the only ones left from your list.

I'd go with Henrique but he's probably getting a 5 x $5m from somebody.

Not really interested in anyone else.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At one point though, for the sake of the kids...we will need some truculence on the bottom 6. We will have to address that at some point.
What’s the point of Xhekaj then? Because he’s not particularly good offensively and not much of a shutdown defenceman.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Management wasn't going to fix the team on July 1st. They still need to find a top6F willing to sign for 2 years top or work a trade for a player with very little terms.
Laine has 2 years left, should be super cheap to acquire. He just need to be cleared from the player assistance program and not get injured.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Canes getting gutted. Won't be surprised if they miss the playoffs. They really don't have a strong core it was depth and cohesion pushing them.

They might just have a worse forward line than us after today depending on if necas is still moved.

They can't afford to move Necas now. They'd be a one line team. On D, they still have Slavin, Orlov, Burns & Chatfield, but they have lost a ton of depth. They're a grinding team now for sure.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Edmundson wasnt even good for us
He was before he got injured.

He also wasn't good for Washington during the regular season. But players can get healthy again and/or play a role in the playoffs. Look at Monahan.

Happy TSN mentioned the ovvious advantage city will less taxes has.
This has to be rectified in the next CBA.

4 of the last 5 cup winners are place without taxes....it's time to leveled the playing field.
The Salary cap should be an after taxes salary cap, not pre-taxes cap.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Laine has 2 years left, should be super cheap too acquire. He just need to be cleared from the player assistance program and not get injured.

Yes that would work, altho that would be a PlanB unless we manage to drop some of our deadwood on CBJ in the process.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Nobody wants to give bad deals. I don't want it. But not every deal signed today is a bad deal.

I agree, ABB was a pretty good deal.

I think Hughes will get a top6 forward this summer, either via trade or FA.

But as he said, no older guys on long deals, so DeBrusk, Marchessault, Stamkos, Lindholm, Toffoli and the like were not options.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
so frustrating to hear both huge free cap space and vets log jamming the roster at the same time. Also hf slooooow…
Next year and then two years after that are when the bad contracts come off of the books:
2025: Armia, Dvo, Allen
2027: Gallagher, Anderson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad