GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Marchessault has spent his entire career playing in no tax states - he’s not about to start paying heavier taxes on what’s his retirement contract …
Careful, you'll get super smart people telling you that the tax advantage isn't real. Players can just play around with accounting, so the story goes, to make it so they don't lose much more in taxes then the lower tax areas.

Just don't think for more than 5 seconds after that, because you might realize that the lower tax areas have access the same loopholes.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
About 2025...how should I put it...

I wouldn't expect premium free agents to come rushing to sign with a perennial loser all of a sudden. That's what some of us are trying to say: the transition between rebuilding and competing is not a switch. You can't just hunt for a bottom 5 pick one year and expect to make the playoffs year after that.

Building a team is a continuum.

Anyways, I'm also certain the management understands that and will be active on the trade market. It just pisses me off that some on this board are ready to rationalize everything and try to paint going into next season with the same roster as some kind of smart move. It's hilarious.
Well said….we need to make some progress and health willing we should….jumping 5 spots would be amazing for the progress of our young guys and would signal to free agents we are a serious contender to make that next move up, especially considering they’d be adding

Reactions: Archijerej

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It's ridicules the amount of money and term that these teams are giving out.
Glad we are staying away from this lunacy.
It’s only the beginning w cap about to skyrocket for 25-26 season driven by Sea & Utah revenue…salary inflation is inevitable

Reactions: Gustave

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Aim for Laval. Sign Benoit-Olivier Groulx. Riley Tufte. Alexander True. Jaret Anderson-Dolan. Dmitri Samorukov. Filip Zadina!!!! Kole Lind. Kristian Reichel

For Habs...maybe Max Jones? Brett Leason? Jesper Boqvist? Alex Nylander?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
One thing I do like is Hughes picks targets and doesn't take backup plans. Bergy used to blow his load on offers for top free agents then use whatever cap was available to sign third tier scrubs every summer.

I'm sure HuGo pitched to Marchessault and Stamkos and backed off when it seemed unreasonable. Then didn't do edmundson/tanev contracts that sink future years.

I'm sure they'll still try and get McGroarty but we'll see.

Not a fan of our current forward roster to start the year though. Maybe they're expecting bigger steps forwards from prospects than I am.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Bruins sign Max Jones.

Habs probably getting pushed around again, so hopefully Demidov signs an extension in Russia. Maybe later the Habs will realize you need size and toughness
I get that some people get emotional about the team, especially on July 1st when they expect everyone to want to sign with the habs, but this is such a stupid opinion that you've got.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I get that some people get emotional about the team, especially on July 1st when they expect everyone to want to sign with the habs, but this is such a stupid opinion that you've got.
I get you don't like fighting and whatnot, but toughness is apart of the game and the Habs are lacking.

I see why you're happy, though a soft team that can't win seems to be right up your alley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad