GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Posters are so brain broken they think NHL players think like tank fetishizers.

An NHL player isn't going to see 'Ah wow, the 14th place Canadiens lost a lot of one-goal games after finishing at the bottom for 3 years, add in Martin St.Louis, the great Reinbacher and surely they're on the cusp!'

No, they're going to see: 'Perpetual losers with constant bright lights.'

And that's going to lead a to a version of pay me or pass.
Sooo... overpaying for 7 years on Mid 6 wingers til their late 30's

Will turn us from the 'perpetual losers' in your mind to .... what exactly..?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Desharnais would be a good vet on the blue line. He's good defensively even if he doesn't do much with the puck. Maybe he could be paired with Hutson.

Desharnais has one full year in the NHL, I wouldn’t call him a veteran.

I’d rather Lyubushkin or Hakanpaa to a certain extent. Both can dish out hits and block shots.

I for one wasn’t happy with Kovacevic trade, they needed someone out but I expected it to be on the left side and not one of the two natural right D.

Clearly they want to give a chance to one of Barron/Reinbacher/Mailloux, just injuries are quick to happen, sometimes you need a safety net.

Reactions: viceroy

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Who's doing that though?

We just don't want to give bad deals for no reason.
I don't think anyone here is worried about terrible ufas at long term.
People want to make space in the bottom 6 and get better. We have enough assets to get rid of some contracts.

You cannot ice the same exact same team that just finished 5th last in the league and expect the team to grow.

like id rather have a prospect on the third line over Anderson Dvorak Gallagher or Armia.

We all know no big UFAs are coming here.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Marchessault just said Montreal was his second favorite destination on RDS. Don't know how much true there is to it in this. Like what the new management is doing.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
thor-yes.gif
Lol….well you guys can keep thinking that

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Please don't sign Alex Carrier.

Habs have a bunch of d, so I'm not too worried, but he's French and sucks and I'm use to Montreal loving thar combination

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I swear 80% of this board wants us to be active every July 1st just for the sake of that shiny new toy. It’s an annual tradition here.

I completely understand not wanting to ice the exact same club, but have you guys SEEN the contracts being handed out? Surely we can all agree that handing those out would have made zero sense…right?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sooo... overpaying for 7 years on Mid 6 wingers til their late 30's

Will turn us from the 'perpetual losers' in your mind to .... what exactly..?

These kinds of specific exercises are futile in the sense that projecting an entire roster or cap situation 5-7 years into the future is completely useless you actually work the cap for an NHL team.

I don't know and neither do you or anyone else here. That's why I avoid into getting nitty-gritty specifics and talk about general direction. The former is very much for the GM and his guys to figure out, not the fans.

We have a lot of money coming off the books soon and we should be trying to improve for the sake of our young players every single summer, whether through trades or FA. That's what I know. And the more years of losing go by, the less attractive this team looks to outsiders.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
All of the contracts between 5-6 million at 5 years are less are great contracts except maybe a couple. People here don’t realize that these numbers won’t be that bad with the cap going up more and more every year. Why can’t we get a bottom 6 player though who can kill penalties? Hilarious

Reactions: MadMslm

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think anyone here is worried about terrible ufas at long term.
People want to make space in the bottom 6 and get better. We have enough assets to get rid of some contracts.

You cannot ice the same exact same team that just finished 5th last in the league and expect the team to grow.

like id rather have a prospect on the third line over Anderson Dvorak Gallagher or Armia.

We all know no big UFAs are coming here.

We are not reading the same thing then.

People are complaining we haven't gone for Debrusk, Marchessault etc.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
But that is exactly my point. Once again, I'M NOT EXPECTING US TO BE A CUP CONTENDER WITH AN FA SIGNING.

I want continuous progress, especially after 3 full seasons of bottom finishes. I want this to help our young veterans. I want this to help our prospects.

Barkov and Ekblad watched the Panthers continuously make moves to try and improve in the present. So did Ovechkin.

And don't talk to me about Edmonton - they're a terrible example and we should not want to go through what they went through.

A 4th year of spinning our wheels is a disastrous plan.
Overpaying for old men is a sure way to cap hell.

Reactions: overlords

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I swear 80% of this board wants us to be active every July 1st just for the sake of that shiny new toy. It’s an annual tradition here.

I completely understand not wanting to ice the exact same club, but have you guys SEEN the contracts being handed out? Surely we can all agree that handing those out would have made zero sense…right?
We wont ice the same team though. One of Reinbacher or Mailloux will make the lineup almost guarantee. Hopefully Dach will remain healthy for more than 40 games. Roy will likely spend the whole year in Montreal unless he has a terrible camp. After the deadline couple of guys will be out which will leave some space to give 20-30 games to guys having a good AHL year (Beck, Mesar, Farrell).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad