GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Why can't Hughes unload those awful Bergevin era contracts?

Why isn't Hughes signing UFAs today?

You can't say both of those things without irony. The only contract that truly makes sense is Teuvo Teravainen's. Most of the contracts signed today are time bombs.
Exactly. We are not ready to win. It makes sense signing some of those contracts if you are in the middle of a window (not at the end of it like MB did with Gallagher). But for us it makes 0 sense.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Debrusk is a 40 points guy signed until he's 34. This would be Anderson 2.0.

Marchessault I would have taken for 2 years, not 5.

I swear people are obsessed with us getting dead wood back while we still have a lot.

We have young guys coming in, no reason to butcher the future this summer, we are not going for the Cup in 2024-2025.

BTW Marsseault it's only 4 years! and 5 million/per. Insane great contract.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Spoken like

a true denier of facts lol

View attachment 890701

Are you truly this dense? They let you pilot aircraft?

200w.gif

Not sure how low you're flying for that joke to go over your head :laugh:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Only guy that fit the time frame on contending was Debrusk

And the likelihood he had MTL on a list is very low

Stay the course. If you can add where it makes sense, fine, if not continue on

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean if Connor and Drai can handle a few years of a rebuild. Oilers missed the playoffs in 15,16,18,19

It was reported late last season that young vets were raising concerns to management.

And I honestly wouldn't want to risk goofing off for years like Edmonton did after getting McDrai. They were awful and stupid. They're not a good example.

Reactions: Archijerej

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hopefully Suzuki and Caufield won't ask for trades after getting their ass kicked for another year.

They are aware of the plan.

The summer is also not done. Hughes is smart keeping away from all the overpayments of July 1st.

I think we'll get someone for the 2nd line on a short term deal.

Skinner, Tarasenko, Henrique, Wennberg, Pacioretty....

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Honestly, I’d look into a guy like Lyubushkin, big RD that can play physical. Liked what he shown in the playoffs the last two years.

With young guys on D, he could insulate a bit on the third pair and keep the physical side alive. He’s also a good bet to trade at the deadline so young guys like Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron will get a chance + a free asset.

If not Hakanpaa could be useful, but I think Lyubushkin is a better bet.

On offense Kubalik could be a bet that pays off. Adds a bit more offense in case someone is injured.

Matt Martin/Blais could be nice on a fourth line for size and more physical play.

Reactions: vokiel

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Holy crickets so far. Feel like we needed a Monahan replacement for the PP. Defense upgrade too but I don't think there were any truly good fits in this UFA class.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It was reported late last season that young vets were raising concerns to management.

And I honestly wouldn't want to risk goofing off for years like Edmonton did after getting McDrai. They were awful and stupid. They're not a good example.
I get that those 2 don't want to lose forever but I think its overblown. Its been 3 years since they made the finals.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Debrusk is a 40 points guy signed until he's 34. This would be Anderson 2.0.

Marchessault I would have taken for 2 years, not 5.

I swear people are obsessed with us getting dead wood back while we still have a lot.

We have young guys coming in, no reason to butcher the future this summer, we are not going for the Cup in 2024-2025.

Yeah, I'm good with not signing these long-term contracts. Montreal is specifically looking at short term, bonus structure type contracts like the Kane contract.

We're looking at 1-3 years. Unfortunately, everyone is going long-term. Monahan is getting 5 years. Edmundson 4 years. Carrier 6 years.

Teams have money and are spending it with term.

Reactions: Treb

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They are aware of the plan.

The summer is also not done. Hughes is smart keeping away from all the overpayments of July 1st.

I think we'll get someone for the 2nd line on a short term deal.

Skinner, Tarasenko, Henrique, Wennberg, Pacioretty....

Arpon Basu reported late last year that 'young veterans' were starting to be concerned about all the losing and that they didn't want to be Buffalo/Ottawa.

The summer is not done, sure, but we've had no indication that HuGo are looking to do something concrete. A 4th straight season of just getting our asses whooped isn't a positive in any shape or form. How deflating is that if you're Suzuki/Caufield? It's not even like you have a contract to play for to keep you motivated. You got your money.

Reactions: Habaneros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad