GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
a lot of the signings will be in WBS all season or only play a handful of games in the NHL. We saw it last year with all of these around league minimum deals. I think Beauvillier will likely make the team, but his salary isn't hard to bury if he sucks, either. I'm hoping Ponomarev is ready straight out of camp.
For sure some of the signings. I am more focused on the forward group and I am not 100% with that.

Injuries are gonna happen, plus it wouldn’t surprise anybody if Beauvillier didn’t even make the team. If he plays like last year in training camp he’ll get waived.
Injuries do happen but Sully going to Sully.

Also Malkin on this new contract is worth every penny. He will not be bought out and only traded if he asks.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At the very least, it would get Karlsson to waive his NMC.
The year is 2050 and we look at at how the Penguins won back to back cups in 2026 and 2027.

The 24-25 Pens roster was looking bleak. Plagued by older players with solid contracts and an underwhelming prospect pool, it was tough to see how they could compete in Crosby's twilight. Kyle Dubas was receiving criticism since his days in Toronto but little did anyone know he was about to hatch an ingenious plan. Erik Karlsson was an all-star dman but wasn't providing what the team needed at the moment. Locked into a $10mil deal for the next 4 years, Dubas felt this was a prime candidate to move to bolster other positions. Problem was...an NMC and NTC. In a brilliant move, Dubas leverage the previous wives' drama from Karlsson's days in Ottawa. He signed over-the-hill winger Mike Hoffman. The presence of Hoffman on the roster and his wife in the city of Pittsburgh sat uneasy with Karlsson and his wife. Wanting to help Erik, Dubas offered him a solution - trade to another team. Not wanting the drama to ruin anymore of his life than it already had, he agreed. Dubas sought out Steve Yzerman who was under scruity for the rather bizarre ways he was "building" his team. Knowing they needed a solid presence on the backend, Dubas approached Yzerman, explained the situation, and merely asked for a 1st round pick back and a cap dump to help facilitate the trade. Dubas knew it was under market value though. After a couple days of consideration, Yzerman accepted. He was hopeful about Karlsson's impact on the ice and was sure it would help propel the Wing forward. It did not. Red Wings finished bottom 5 in the league that year while the Penguins finished 10th. This gave the Penguins two top 10 draft picks which excited them. In a surprise that shocked the hockey world and disgusted 31 fan bases, the Wings "won" the draft lottery moving them from 5ov to 1ov. This elated Dubas as it meant Jack Hagen was available for selection. Hagen had recently been dominating the USHL and was the consensus 1st OV who was being projected as a franchise 1C. The Penguins promptly selected him 1ov and Michael Misa with the 10th OV. To no one's shock, both made the Penguins roster out of camp. Situated nicely behind Sidney Crosby with Misa and Pens legend Evgeni Malkin on his wing, Hagen excels, potting 75 points in his first season and helping Misa pot 65 points, which included 39 goals. Everyone knew this was the resurgence the Penguins needed. Two seasons later, thanks to some schrude trades and signings by Dubas, the Penguins made it their 7th Cup finals. Squaring off with the Dallas Stars, the Penguins quickly dispatched them in 5 games winning their first cup at home. While this was a great send off for the great Evgeni Malkin, they weren't done. They built on their success the following year and made it to the Cup finals again in what was dubbed Sid's Last Ride. With the flare for the dramatic, the Penguins won their 7th cup in a thrilling game 7 OT thanks to a Sidney Crosby breakaway goal set up by non other than Jack Hagen. While Sid was the first to raise the cup in celebration, he quickly handed to Hagen telling him "it's all you now". This was captured in the iconic photo dubbed "passing the torch".

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would say the Penguins could try forcing him out but he's still here after last season so no luck there, either.
I dont think Geno will be forced out but I could see him retiring after this season to maybe play in in the KHL…he’s not making much money next season…contract was designed that way…it’s too hard to play in the NHL for very little money and the contract will be easy to sell

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I dont think Geno will be forced out but I could see him retiring after this season to maybe play in in the KHL…he’s not making much money next season…contract was designed that way…it’s too hard to play in the NHL for very little money and the contract will be easy to sell
35+ contract.

Unsure how that works cap wise if he went to the KHL in his last year.

He wouldn't be retiring but he'd also be abandoning ship.

If anyone knows the specific rule on how that works please let me know.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Sid really only wants to get his last Olympics under his belt, so he'll sign through 2025-26. Maybe he signs longer but that's probably the only thing he really cares about anymore imo. Wouldn't be shocked to see him retire after that season, and that's when Geno's deal is up too.

Reactions: BobCole

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I want to see Sid, G & Letang retire as Pens. And I'd say the odds of that happening are 95%, 90% and 70%, respectively. They're highly, highly unlikely to win another Cup together, and I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Andy99

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think Sid really only wants to get his last Olympics under his belt, so he'll sign through 2025-26. Maybe he signs longer but that's probably the only thing he really cares about anymore imo. Wouldn't be shocked to see him retire after that season, and that's when Geno's deal is up too.
I'm fairly certain he's going to sign a 3-year contract. I don't know what happens after that one, but I believe he wants to play 3 more years

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, capping off a career with an extra gold medal will ease the suffering of many not winning another Cup. You have to think with McDavid and MacKinnon that a gold or silver is all but guaranteed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm fairly certain he's going to sign a 3-year contract. I don't know what happens after that one, but I believe he wants to play 3 more years
God bless the idiot then. This team in three more years is gonna be a full on shitshow. :laugh: I wonder if that's the delay--he knows this team is headed for a steep nosedive and probably wants no part in that, but at the same time, hockey's all the dude's ever known and hanging up the skates is probably gonna be akin to losing a loved one.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Interesting thing about a 3 year extension is that puts him on the ice for 4 more seasons. If he can clip 80 points a year and you add that to his current 1596 he lands at 1916. Jagr is second all time at 1921.

I think Sidney Crosby is competitive enough to know that, but too humble to say what he's really chasing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Interesting thing about a 3 year extension is that puts him on the ice for 4 more seasons. If he can clip 80 points a year and you add that to his current 1596 he lands at 1916. Jagr is second all time at 1921.

I think Sidney Crosby is competitive enough to know that, but too humble to say what he's really chasing.
if he's actually going to chase those numbers, I wish he'd swallow his humility and go to Colorado

Sideline

May 23, 2004
if he's actually going to chase those numbers, I wish he'd swallow his humility and go to Colorado
It's definitely the smarter place to chase stats, but I don't know if the ultra competitive mindset that creates a Crosby type human allows for that kind of admission of weakness.

Reactions: IcedCapp

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Maybe if after those three years he knows he can get to #2 all time with one more good season. Who knows where Colorado will be in 4 years though. Not like they have a solid young roster or a thriving prospect pool. The idea that Mac alone is enough is questionable that far down the road.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

So many variables there though. Could get injured. Could get tired of losing.

If he does sign for 3 I think we can say he’ll be the franchise leading point getter. 4 more years he’ll pass Mario easily.

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, I don't think he even needs to be #2ov in points. I don't think that changes anything honestly. He's at 1600. If he gets 200 more over the next 4 years and gets into the 1800s, that will be enough. Bonus if he gets past Messier. #3 without tanking his career PPG stats is better than what Jagr did at the tail end. I'd rather his be at 3/4/5 at and go out well above PPG. The added legacy of consistency of high-performance is as much part of his legacy as total points. I can easily go back and say "well, add the 100 games he missed in his prime and you can easily add the 120pts."

Would suck if he got close to 2000 pts because then the what-if stuff creeps in. Him adding an extra season to chase 2000 would be tits.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So many variables there though. Could get injured. Could get tired of losing.

If he does sign for 3 I think we can say he’ll be the franchise leading point getter. 4 more years he’ll pass Mario easily.

Honestly, I don't think he even needs to be #2ov in points. I don't think that changes anything honestly. He's at 1600. If he gets 200 more over the next 4 years and gets into the 1800s, that will be enough. Bonus if he gets past Messier. #3 without tanking his career PPG stats is better than what Jagr did at the tail end. I'd rather his be at 3/4/5 at and go out well above PPG. The added legacy of consistency of high-performance is as much part of his legacy as total points. I can easily go back and say "well, add the 100 games he missed in his prime and you can easily add the 120pts."

Would suck if he got close to 2000 pts because then the what-if stuff creeps in. Him adding an extra season to chase 2000 would be tits.
I agree with both of you, but I was trying to figure out why he allegedly wants 3 years specifically. Shorter gives him more flexibility and if he wants money the Penguins would surely give him whatever he asked for on term.

Reactions: SEALBound

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yeah 3 years seems a bit odd for an extension. More likely than not, I think Geno probably retires after his current contract. I cant imagine him wanting to keep playing in his 40s. Its possible that Geno/Letang are gone and Sid is by himself for his last 1-2 years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm honestly really concerned that they're going to re-sign Malkin after 2025-2026 and give him another year or two.

The best case scenario for the rebuild is that Crosby re-signs for the 2025-2026 season, both Crosby and Malkin go to the Olympics in 2026 and both retire after the 2026 season. Then you can tear off the bandaid and really start selling the roster, with Karlsson at 1 year left as the crown piece to trade.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah 3 years seems a bit odd for an extension. More likely than not, I think Geno probably retires after his current contract. I cant imagine him wanting to keep playing in his 40s. Its possible that Geno/Letang are gone and Sid is by himself for his last 1-2 years.
Not really, 3 years makes the MOST sense since that will put him the same as Letang.

I'm honestly really concerned that they're going to re-sign Malkin after 2025-2026 and give him another year or two.

The best case scenario for the rebuild is that Crosby re-signs for the 2025-2026 season, both Crosby and Malkin go to the Olympics in 2026 and both retire after the 2026 season. Then you can tear off the bandaid and really start selling the roster, with Karlsson at 1 year left as the crown piece to trade.
Always comes down to cost. Malkin at $3mil as 3C would be fine by me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad