GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What does the rest of it say ?

I'm currently out in the sticks abit and my internet is being stupid and won't load anything but hf and even then it's slow.

Just Engel's speculating as to who Montreal might go after. DeBrusk, Marchessault and Perron got write ups and HMs were:

Teuvo Teravainen
Vladimir Tarasenko
Viktor Arvidsson
Sam Carrick
Keifer Sherwood
William Carrier
Alexandre Carrier
Daniel Sprong
Stefan Noesen
Michael Amadio

The Gorton quote is from his pre-draft media availability.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So according to Engels, Gorton said that he won't sign an old player to a long term deal since it could stunt the growth of one of the younger guys they are developing which sets back the rebuild.

That being said, Engels also said that he knows that there will be a lot of changes on the roster between now and training camp. There doesn't seem like any ambiguity for once with what Engels said. I'm not sure how these changes will occur given our roster situation, so I have no expectations besides signing a 4th liner that can PK.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that one of Marchessault or Perron will join Montreal from free agency. The question is why one?

Perron makes more sense as he will likely accept a shorter term. 2 year deal would be perfect for us.
You didn't see Gordon's post draft comments Habs not signing any older players leaving room for the younger players.

Stamkos (2x11M) and Debrusk (7x5.75M) signings incoming

🤤

very possible but not with the habs

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You didn't see Gordon's post draft comments Habs not signing any older players leaving room for the younger players.

very possible but not with the habs
I think Gorton's comments indicate that they wouldn't want to sign someone that would take the spot of a younger player.

The reality is that we don't have a young F that we can plug into the top 6 this year BUT they want to try and make a push for the playoffs.

It makes me think that a guy like Kane or Stamkos on a 2-3 year deal on a high cap hit could very much be possible.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
He only said no long term contract, not no vets at all.

I don't see why he wouldn't at least inquire about the requests from high-profile UFAs that could help our young core make the transition toward being a competitive team.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Realistically, I wonder what Marchessault would cost and if he would be willing to take a bit of a home town discount? As long as it was only a 2-3 year deal, he could be an intriguing option for a top-6 role. Will be 34 in December, but scored 42 goals last season and he’s clearly a 60-65 point guy. 2 years would be ideal but 3 might be necessary to get it done.

But I guess the question also is, is he THAT much of an upgrade over Perron who will likely command quite a bit less? Marchy is clearly better at this point, but is he the better fit?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If David Perron wants to play at home for 2 years I say we should accommodate him. The Vegas 33 year old son just scored 42 goals and will command many years at a high AAV, and that's a pass. We just need good , veteran placeholders for a year or two.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
As far as buyouts are concerned, I think they'll wait one more year for Gallagher and/or Anderson. Buying out Armia after his last season would surprise me somewhat. They could also try to trade Anderson but I really don't see a fit

The forwards look like:

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Armia-Dvorak-Gallagher
RHP-Evans-Anderson
Pezzeta

The bottom 6 is absolutely bloated with Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak and Armia taking 4 spots. Dvorak is easily the most tradeable, but he's also a center. We then have Armia who had a bounce back season. I could the front office trying to make a few trades and two UFAs being brought up to reorganize the roster a bit

Ideally, two or three members of the bottom 6 would go and a top 6 winger would sign for 1-3 years along with a strong physical 4C. Evans would then take 3C duties (he already kinda does honestly) with Roy and Armia

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So according to Engels, Gorton said that he won't sign an old player to a long term deal since it could stunt the growth of one of the younger guys they are developing which sets back the rebuild.

That being said, Engels also said that he knows that there will be a lot of changes on the roster between now and training camp. There doesn't seem like any ambiguity for once with what Engels said. I'm not sure how these changes will occur given our roster situation, so I have no expectations besides signing a 4th liner that can PK.
All depends on what Engels means by "a lot of changes". To me that would mean at least a 1/4 turn over (~5-6 players)

And since the roster is full, that means moving that many players to bring as many "new" faces. I would consider Hutson or Beck making the NHL new, but not Roy too.

Is Columbus even planning to ice a team
Looks like they aren't interested in going to arbitration with any RFAs, also new GM...

Reactions: habsfan891

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
When free agency opens then that is the start of the new fiscal year and Edmundson's contract comes to an end and is no longer retained

July 1st I think

That I was assuming as capfriendly has it so the Habs have 1 free, but I'm wondering if they've just went ahead and reset things and it becomes available at midnight
Anderson at 50% retained please. Dvorak stinks but at 50% retained he probably still has little to no value. Might as well keep him for the PK so Suzuki doesn't play like 25 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00