GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I'm just guessing, but I think the cost is Guhle.

If Demidov was gone at 5, we would have taken a D and traded Guhle for Mcgroarty.

I think that's why it went away after Demidov was there.

Both Guhle and Mcgroarty were drafted around the same slot too, which is usually how these 1 for 1 deals involving young players work, like Drysdale for Gauthier.

Pretty sure that ain’t the cost.

And Winn won’t have a « Guhle » type of return for him.

Mailloux is quite enough.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
The team needs to add some talent in the short team. Next year can't be another holding pattern because (1) it'll further contribute to jading the young core and (2) a top5 pick is not guaranteed (ie the juice isn't worth the squeeze).

Monahan is gone but Dach is coming back, call that a wash. We need another top6 forward and HuGo knows this... hopefully something encouraging comes from the next few days.

Out forward depth is utterly trash. We can't go into another year with Anderson, Armia, or Gallagher in a top6 role. Not one of them deserves a second of PP time either.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - ....?
Armia? - Dvorak?- Anderson
WhoCares - Evans? - Gallagher?

How fun would it be to see Patrick Laine on Dach's wing? (I didn't include Roy because he isn't an established NHLer yet)

I'm not desperate to sell Matheson and hearing how Hughes talks about him, I don't think the Habs will sell him. Savard has a lot of love in the organization for his professionalism etc. He's a TDL candidate not a summer sale.

Kovacevic is in his last year, he's going to try to cash in because he's been relatively underpaid. I think we can leverage him + some extra futures to get a defensive upgrade. I'd look into doing more quantity for quality moves.

Overall looks like our team can look a whole lot different with just a few low-impact acquisitions because our bottom6 and bottom3 are so fluid. If we add a single top6 player I'd be a lot more confident in challenging for a playoff spot.

Last edited:

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I think we need to look at the type of team they have and Hughes said something about looking for type of players we don't have in the lineup.

I do not dislike our current lineup. Just by substraction of Allen we should be better. Then consider a full year of Newhook, Dach and Dvo with a more mature and consistent Slaf. Just that would bring us a better record in my opinion.

One type of player we do not have is a guy like Debrusk. I think he could be a nice compliment to this team but not at any price

So yes 2025 should be better when Demidov arrives but I think we need to develop our core and insure that few guys make a significant step forward this year.

Mailloux, Hutson, Dach and Roy needs to improve and so does Anderson. So I would look for a lineup like this:

Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield
Debrusk, Dach, Roy
Armia, Newhook, Gallagher
Dvo, Evens, Anderson

Matheson, Ghule
Hutson, Savard
Xhekaj, Mailloux

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’d be down to give him 7 years if he was 30. But turning 35 halfway through this season and 50% of his production being on an elite PP is just not the right fit in my mind.
You keep saying that…. Habs PP w Hutson as QB will be top-10 this season, add Stamkos & it’s also elite

I just really feel we need a vet like Perry to come in and help things along. I don't think another tank year is good for this core.
Fortunately Suzuki, Caufield and Newhook have experienced playing meaningful games - Slaf, Dach, Young Dman, Montembeault NEED to experience the same now.

Reactions: Garry Valk

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hutson will never see a day in the AHL IMO, except for injury rehab
Habs already have 8 Ds for next season, they aren't sending Guhle or Xhekaj down to make place for Hutson on the line-up...and those two are the only one with anything kind of long term waiver exemption left (Struble only has 14 games left).

Since Hughes doesn't appear to have any interest in trading anyone this off-season again...Hutson will have to wait.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Habs already have 8 Ds for next season, they aren't sending Guhle or Xhekaj down to make place for Hutson on the line-up...and those two are the only one with anything kind of long term waiver exemption left (Struble only has 14 games left).

Since Hughes doesn't appear to have any interest in trading anyone this off-season again...Hutson will have to wait.
Offseason hasn’t even really started..

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I just really feel we need a vet like Perry to come in and help things along. I don't think another tank year is good for this core.

It's not. Towards the end of last year The Athletic was already reporting rumbles that the younger vets were starting to express a wish to not have this losing going on any longer and that management was attentive to that.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Hughes definitely has some decisions to make in the next couple months.....do we hang on to Dvorak, Armia, and Savard? They will be great trade bait at the deadline. We are pretty much going to be icing the same lineup as last year plus Dach.....so a bottom 10 finish is eminent....which I'm fine with.....unless management thinks we can make some moves this summer to strengthen our position? Time will tell.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
It has been reported by several people that the trade for rutger was plan b if demidov wasn’t available, so imo we can discount that.

Imo we are going to go after one of the vets that can come on 3 year deals, I mean Kane - stamkos - marchessault to provide some scoring, and if that doesn’t work then go back to the trade market.

Until we get rid of Anderson and Dvorak I don’t see us going after a bottom 6 player.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - dach - Kane

For now.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Getting some grit who can play for the top-6 would be great, guys like Tyler Bertuzzi or Jake DeBrusk, perhaps more top-9, but they'd bring another dimension for sure. Would love Zadorov on the back-end, but he'll probably end up wayyyyy too costly for what he brings.

Also wouldn't mind gritty bottom-6 players, but we'd have to move players for that, guys like William Carrier, Sam Lafferty, Yakov Trenin... unless Anderson finds his nuts back, Armia starts being consistent, and Dvorak starts giving a f***... Gallagher is there, and he tries, but won't hurt anybody but himself trying to get chippy.

I just don't expect top players.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Signing DeBrusk can definitely be an important piece to the puzzle going forward when we are ready to compete in 2-3 years. I'm good giving him a 5-6 year deal

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
David Perron would be a perfect fit IMO. Excellent 5v5 player, good defensive game, good offensive game, cup winner, most likely to sign in our market than guys like Stamkos or Kane, over 45 points in his last 8 seasons, perfect for the second line with Dach or can even slot in the first line being a right shot with Suzuki and Slafkovsky. Good vet for the young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad