GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I like Duclair but it won't happen since he'll probably want a long term contract.
I think we may sign a vet to a short term deal or don't sign anyone.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I would have no problem tanking another year. But I am torn because I wonder how much longer Suzuki and Caufield are going to enjoy it. I think sometimes it's good for the players to experience a little progress.
We can't actually tank but it'd be stupid to push it artificially with, say, a Kadri or Stamkos. We still need that one good draft and giving experience/testing players to see what they really have to work with. After next season, so many pieces fall in the right position. 2024-2025 tdl, pre-draft, draft and post-draft will be wild for the habs.

I expect some minor moves this season and a team competing well but selling on TDL and finishing last 8-12th. Dumping Armia/Dvorak/Anderson/Gally? at TDL or before draft.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
This!!!

I have tickets that cost me 25k a year. Its hard as hell to sell and its boring to do traffic and shit to see a loosing team against Nashville a tuesday night. But you know what? I dont care, cauze the process is going right.

Id rather finish bottom10 again. Then signed a 34yoStamkos who will « help » us finish 10-15. This wont help long term. Its a difference between a Demidov and a Helenius. Huge.

We need a last hard year. Then we can start going upward when Demidov/Reinbacher/Hutson will have all graduated.

No stupid patchwork that will destroy our chances of a cup.

This top of the draft picking is fun,ok almost addicting ....but I for one would like to end it this year.
Every year we tank is one more year wasted and NHL careers are short enough.
What more do we need that we can't trade for or snap up at UFA time.?
Personally I do not want to be back here again next year picking in the top 5 or 10.
We got the superstar in the making in Demidov, time to turn the corner now.
It really looks over for Stamkos in Tampa, and if he landed in Montreal it will be
with a big chip on his shoulder, which will be a good thing.

If Stamkos did choose to come to Montreal, that is huge news , every bit as big
as when Kovelev showed up. The city of Montreal would be pumped, big buzz.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Can't have Demidov come in as a 20 year old rookie and put him into a situation where he needs to be the difference maker right away.

He needs to come in as a compliment to a team of guys who are hungry and know what it feels like to win.

I never said that.

We can add pieces next July, not this July.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
No one.

Tank 1 more year, then start competing when Demidov comes over in 2025.
It doesn't work that way. You can't just switch it on once you decided you've accumulated enough prospects.

Good luck explaining tanking to young players already on the roster. Not to mention the owner. Especially after what the management said at the end of last season.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It doesn't work that way. You can't just switch it on once you decided you've accumulated enough prospects.

Good luck explaining tanking to young players already on the roster. Not to mention the owner. Especially after what the management said at the end of last season.

Why not?

Is there a rule that states we have to turn on the jets right now and start trying to compete immediately and go out and sign top FAs?

durojean

May 29, 2007
I feel like we should try to get good UFA like Stamkos, Monahan, Reinhart or Kane.

I also feel like the plan is for us to be really competitive in 2025, not this year.

It does not mean we should not try because we need to see progress but even if we do not perform this year. It makes sense with the age of the group.

But it’s in 2025 that Reinbacher, Hutson and Demidov will really enter in the team and make the big difference that we want.

Patience is a vertu and a last big draft will really put us over the edge for years to come.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Why not?

Is there a rule that states we have to turn on the jets right now and start trying to compete immediately and go out and sign top FAs?

Caulfield turns 24 this year...Suzuki turns 26 in August......you wanna tank another yr or 2? Your wasting prime years of careers .

Tanking another yr or 2? No.....playoffs \wildcard this year...and see where it takes us.

Suzuki Caulfield Demidov Slafkovsky...what more can we tank for?

TRADE and pick up the high impact UFa's over next few years and lets go.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Yes please.

He fits everything we need.
I'm just guessing, but I think the cost is Guhle.

If Demidov was gone at 5, we would have taken a D and traded Guhle for Mcgroarty.

I think that's why it went away after Demidov was there.

Both Guhle and Mcgroarty were drafted around the same slot too, which is usually how these 1 for 1 deals involving young players work, like Drysdale for Gauthier.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I'm just guessing, but I think the cost is Guhle.

If Demidov was gone at 5, we would have taken a D and traded Guhle for Mcgroarty.

I think that's why it went away after Demidov was there.

Both Guhle and Mcgroarty were drafted around the same slot too, which is usually how these 1 for 1 deals involving young players work, like Drysdale for Gauthier.
difference is one has 115 games in the nhl and can play minutes
while the other one has 0 game played.

Idk why someone would do that trade 1v1 Guhle is better and proven to be better.

Seems like a reach trading that value for a player that wants out .

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I feel like we should try to get good UFA like Stamkos, Monahan, Reinhart or Kane.

I also feel like the plan is for us to be really competitive in 2025, not this year.

It does not mean we should not try because we need to see progress but even if we do not perform this year. It makes sense with the age of the group.

But it’s in 2025 that Reinbacher, Hutson and Demidov will really enter in the team and make the big difference that we want.

Patience is a vertu and a last big draft will really put us over the edge for years to come.
We are still in the grey zone, improving but not enough to be considered a playoff team. If you are looking for one ‘last big draft’, adding a costly short term fix that marginally improves the team, will also simultaneously, undermine our draft position. That would be a classic example of one step forward and two steps backwards.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why not?

We have a hole in our top 6 that was filled by Monahan last year. This means Dach doesn't have an established winger to play with. Hardly a good thing when we rely on this guy to develop into a 1B centerman, since Suzuki probably won't be a top-10 C in this league.

We have old man Savard logging heavy minutes and he's gone next year and needs a replacement.

We have Xhekaj, Barron and Struble being roughly handled by the opposition, because we don't have veteran partners and proper roles for them.

We have young, core players going public about how they are tired of losing, the owner who expects us to be in the mix for the playoffs next year and the management team stating loud and clear that this phase of the rebuild is over and they intend to initiate the next one.

Nobody is advocating hampering ourselves with albatross contracts, but the dread of signing a veteran forward to a 3-year deal is comical. A rebuild is not just sitting on your hands and collecting top-5 picks. That's how poor rebuilds look like. You actually have to address needs. BUILD the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We are still in the grey zone, improving but not enough to be considered a playoff team. If you are looking for one ‘last big draft’, adding a costly short term fix that marginally improves the team, will also simultaneously, undermine our draft position. That would be a classic example of one step forward and two steps backwards.
I think it's safe to say that another botom-5 finish would be seen as a failed season by this management, ownership and key players. And rightly so.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
There is none , but you think this team lineup is going anywhere right now even if we add Kane?

There are deals out there for younger vets .Example..we just seen Sergachev go yesterday.
Another IMPACTFUL trade or 2..For some younger blood ....and adding in some old vet with Championships that can still impact ..yes this team is ready to run.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
There are deals out there for younger vets .Example..we just seen Sergachev go yesterday.
Another IMPACTFUL trade or 2..For some younger blood ....and adding in some old vet that can still impact ..yes this team is ready to run.
yeah but then you target who? Sergachev has an heavy contract coming from a heavy injury. Tampa also wanted to shred salary.

you have to give to get someone nhl ready

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
difference is one has 115 games in the nhl and can play minutes
while the other one has 0 game played.

Idk why someone would do that trade 1v1 Guhle is better and proven to be better.

Seems like a reach trading that value for a player that wants out .
That's exactly the Drysdale and Gautheir deal. Drysdale had 100ish games and was traded for Gauthier still in college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad