GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
They don't need more picks - they need a trustworthy 4th C who anchors their PK unit and takes big faceoffs, which is what he is. He isn't moving until someone supplants him and that won't happen any time soon.
Evans is underrated but he maybe want to test the market, after all the crazy contracts given this year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Evans is underrated but he maybe want to test the market, after all the crazy contracts given this year.
If he doesn't want to come back, it's a different deal, but we have no indication of that as of now.

They could also decide they want to bank on Beck and Kapanen, but that's risky.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
If he doesn't want to come back, it's a different deal, but we have no indication of that as of now.

They could also decide they want to bank on Beck and Kapanen, but that's risky.
Agree with you that if he agrees to a reasonable contract to stay, they should keep him. For me, he's ahead of Dvorak in the depth chart. Looking at what Edmonton got for McLeod, filling the 3rd and 4th C via a trade could cost a lot too.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
They don't need more picks - they need a trustworthy 4th C who anchors their PK unit and takes big faceoffs, which is what he is. He isn't moving until someone supplants him and that won't happen any time soon.

And he's a versatile player who can be moved around the lineup and easily be shifted to the wing in the future if guys like Beck, Xhekaj, Kapanen show they deserve a spot as a bottom six C. As opposed to deadweight like Gallagher/Anderson who take up spots in the bottom six and not even be able to help on special teams.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Anderson killed penalties in Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to squeeze some value out of him by putting him on the PK this year. Roy will likely be a regular penalty killer too.

The best thing Montreal can do to limit Suzuki's usage on the PK is to stop taking so many penalties. They were one of the most penalized team in the world last year. A better puck-moving D core will likely help there.

In 2025-26 the first PK duo will likely be Beck and Roy. Who cares if Armia, Dvorak, RHP and Evans all leave, there will be enough younger players or cheap 4th line signings to kill penalties going forward.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Anderson killed penalties in Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to squeeze some value out of him by putting him on the PK this year. Roy will likely be a regular penalty killer too.
MSL tried Anderson on the PK the last two seasons, he never lasted long there.

Reactions: Rapala

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Evans is not underrated, He just sucks at almost everything. If we are excited to have Evans because he could score a goal from time to time, on odd days of half moon with a 15 km wind outside, I mean, we were not 28th for no reason. It's because we suck with Dvorak and Evans being #3 and #4 centers. Habs sucks a lot after Suzuki #1 C, Habs desperately need Dach as 2nd center and a legit 3c is needed: Beck or an ufa signing.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Armia would be a top 6 player if he play with intensity for the whole season.
We have Armia for how many years? Yes he have good sequences from time to time and we think : yeah hes a good player to keep if we can be constant. The thing is : he's never constant. You may hire a doctor of the head to solve his problem, but it will be a waste of time. Armia is Armia. He have all the tools but he doesn't use it often. He's a Ferrari limited to 2000 rpm.
Just get rid of him. a 4th round draft at tdl will be fine. Anything, just let him go away. Bye-bye !

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Anderson on the PK now that's funny guys

I'm off to the cottage don't expect nothing

1000005857.jpg

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Evans is not underrated, He just sucks at almost everything. If we are excited to have Evans because he could score a goal from time to time, on odd days of half moon with a 15 km wind outside, I mean, we were not 28th for no reason. It's because we suck with Dvorak and Evans being #3 and #4 centers. Habs sucks a lot after Suzuki #1 C, Habs desperately need Dach as 2nd center and a legit 3c is needed: Beck or an ufa signing.

I don't think you have an accurate representation of what 4Cs are in the NHL. Jake Evans had to play 2C at points last year so obviously that is the wrong chair.. but as a 4C he is one of the better ones in the league.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And who play the PK in 2025-2026, because those 4 players are UFA and unlikely to be back after next season.
Who cares? All 4 of those guys are replacement level players except for maybe Armia (if we get the one from the second half). Plus it’s obvious Beck will be there in 2025-26

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
We have Armia for how many years? Yes he have good sequences from time to time and we think : yeah hes a good player to keep if we can be constant. The thing is : he's never constant. You may hire a doctor of the head to solve his problem, but it will be a waste of time. Armia is Armia. He have all the tools but he doesn't use it often. He's a Ferrari limited to 2000 rpm.
Just get rid of him. a 4th round draft at tdl will be fine. Anything, just let him go away. Bye-bye !

Seriously, we needed to send him to the AHL to wake him up. Trade him at the trade deadline or let him go in the summer.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't think you have an accurate representation of what 4Cs are in the NHL. Jake Evans had to play 2C at points last year so obviously that is the wrong chair.. but as a 4C he is one of the better ones in the league.
You watched the last PO won by the Panthers and you think Evans would be better than their 4th center? Or better than Avs, Stars, Bruins, Rangers, etc, 4th center? Evans is barely an nhler, he barely deserve to be there, he doesn't dominate, he just is an nhler who will have to prove he deserves to be there for the rest of his career. Habs were 28th for a reason.

I expect way more than Evans. If we are satisfied with Evans, we will be satisfied with a lot of mediocrity, like in the Houle-Gainey-Bergevin era. We need to change mentality and become winners.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Seriously, we needed to send him to the AHL to wake him up. Trade him at the trade deadline or let him go in the summer.
And despite his time in AHL, he ended the season with better stats than players who were with the big team all year long. This team have a lot of deadwood, players who shouldn't play in the nhl or wear the Habs jersey. There are too many of them and some foks here accept and like those mediocre players.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
We have too many guys on the wrong chair. I mean
Suzuki is a legit First C (good chair)
Caufield is a second line winger playing on a first (wrong chair)
Slaf first line winger to become playing on first line (good chair)
Dach expect second center (good chair)
Newhook is a middle six playing on a second line (wrong chair)
Anderson and Gallagher are 3rd line winger
Evans, RHP, Armia, Dvorak. All of those are shit. This is why we suck haha we miss 2 second line player and a first dman

Reinbacher and Demidov in 2 years will be more than welcome

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You watched the last PO won by the Panthers and you think Evans would be better than their 4th center? Or better than Avs, Stars, Bruins, Rangers, etc, 4th center? Evans is barely an nhler, he barely deserve to be there, he doesn't dominate, he just is an nhler who will have to prove he deserves to be there for the rest of his career. Habs were 28th for a reason.

I expect way more than Evans. If we are satisfied with Evans, we will be satisfied with a lot of mediocrity, like in the Houle-Gainey-Bergevin era. We need to change mentality and become winners.

The Oilers used Sam Carrick as their 4th center, which Jake Evans is better than.
I'd say yes that Evans is better than Kevin Stenlund who was the 4th line center for Florida.
Colorado used Wagner as their 4C, unequivocally that Evans is better than him.
Stars used Sam Steel and yes, Evan is a more suitable 4C than Sam Steel.
Bruins have John Beecher who is better than Evans because he's bigger and stronger.
Goodrowe who was the Rangers 4C was better than Evans, I don't think we can say he is anymore as they waived his ass.

Evans over his last 3 seasons has averaged ~30 pts, his face-off percentage has been 52% and 52.2% in the last two seasons and was a huge part of our PK revitalizing itself over the last few months of the season. He does exactly what a 4C is supposed to do - provide defense at even strength, chip in some offense, win face-offs and provide surplus value on the PK.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The Oilers used Sam Carrick as their 4th center, which Jake Evans is better than.
I'd say yes that Evans is better than Kevin Stenlund who was the 4th line center for Florida.
Colorado used Wagner as their 4C, unequivocally that Evans is better than him.
Stars used Sam Steel and yes, Evan is a more suitable 4C than Sam Steel.
Bruins have John Beecher who is better than Evans because he's bigger and stronger.
Goodrowe who was the Rangers 4C was better than Evans, I don't think we can say he is anymore as they waived his ass.

Evans over his last 3 seasons has averaged ~30 pts, his face-off percentage has been 52% and 52.2% in the last two seasons and was a huge part of our PK revitalizing itself over the last few months of the season. He does exactly what a 4C is supposed to do - provide defense at even strength, chip in some offense, win face-offs and provide surplus value on the PK.
Agreed. Thanks for an honest evaluation of Evans, which has been inxeplicably rare on these boards.

As for Stenlund, his size had an impact during the latest playoffs. I think the Panthers were very comfortable with him out there and he did very good work on the PK, but overall, as players, Evans does very well on the PK and is a much more interesting player to follow the flow of the play offensively than Stenlund. While no magician, he can definitely do more than Stenlund. The one thing Stenlund has over Evans, which has played a relatively important role was the physical presence. All things considered, Stenlund was the right player to play the role he had to play at that moment. In general, I believe Evans is a slightly better hockey player.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed. Thanks for an honest evaluation of Evans, which has been inxeplicably rare on these boards.

As for Stenlund, his size had an impact during the latest playoffs. I think the Panthers were very comfortable with him out there and he did very good work on the PK, but overall, as players, Evans does very well on the PK and is a much more interesting player to follow the flow of the play offensively than Stenlund. While no magician, he can definitely do more than Stenlund. The one thing Stenlund has over Evans, which has played a relatively important role was the physical presence. All things considered, Stenlund was the right player to play the role he had to play at that moment. In general, I believe Evans is a slightly better hockey player.

Yes, Stenlund was exactly what they wanted and what they got. But Evans is slightly better or at least it's a wash. So that's a cup winning 4C. Evans is not a problem, the only problem with Evans is when he has to play higher or people have an unreasonable expectation of what a 4C is supposed to be or do.

There's a salary cap, your 4C has to be a cost efficient role player who does enough offensively but is there for the niche items of face-offs and penalty killing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad