OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
They're through! The CWNT is just full of brilliant players. Jessie Fleming might be my current favourite athlete. What a motor! @#$%^ amazing!

The players continue to bail out the incompetent losers involved with Canada Soccer.

• Love
Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canada/Germany kick off in a few minutes.

I'm more nervous/excited than I've been for a Canucks game in years.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
0-0 going into halftime. This German team will be a tough out for Canada, they're playing some tough defense
Look for Janine Beckie to come on in the second half and be a difference-maker.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Scoreless after regulation, but just riveting! Canada had most of the play and the chances in the second half.

Fleming out with what looks like a concussion ...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sadly, the only thing this Canadian Olympic Women's Soccer team is going to be remembered for--is the drone spying scandal.

That's because the appointment of a special investigator in Canada, along with investigations by the IOC and FIFA, will probably ensure this investigation drags on for years. I suppose the only 'positive' is that John Herdman is no longer around to face the music, and Jesse Marsh is now leading the men's program.

But it's still a 'black' mark for Canadian soccer, and compromises so many of the positive things that have happened this year with both the men's and women's programs.

Reactions: TruKnyte

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Canada’s luck ran out.

That’s what happens when you can’t finish.
Lack of finishing was just due to overall fatigue. The 6 point deduction was a killer which forced them to play at a higher intensity during the latter two round robin games.

It was a major ask to proceed any further. The Americans would have probably beat them anyways.

f*** Bev Priestman.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It was a great game from Canada, who looked stronger throughout the second half and into extra time.

I hate penalties.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Big win for the Caps. As much as they piss me off on young player development.. I still like to see them win.

Reactions: Lindgren

Frostage

May 23, 2014
The difference in the penalties was huge. Germans put everything in corners, while the Canadians put it in the middle around chest height.

Agreed, the Canadians took poor penalties and the Germans were good, apart from the miss.

Penalties are about composure and executing under pressure. Sad they couldn't move on, would've added to their story.

Reactions: Bubbles

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Big win for the Caps. As much as they piss me off on young player development.. I still like to see them win.
I honestly would rather they go away. It's embarrassing for a world class city being a have not team in a crap league.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I honestly would rather they go away. It's embarrassing for a world class city being a have not team in a crap league.
I'm confused by this....it's really the MLS or nothing for cities in NA. As frustrating as the Caps can be at times, surely you aren't saying Vancouver would be better off without a team at all?

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'm confused by this....it's really the MLS or nothing for cities in NA. As frustrating as the Caps can be at times, surely you aren't saying Vancouver would be better off without a team at all?
I'm saying that I personally would prefer no team over being a second class MLS citizen.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I'm saying that I personally would prefer no team over being a second class MLS citizen.

I used to think this way but we have options here. You can root for the CPL team out in Langley or Vancouver Island. The games are generally cheaper, more family friendly and more intimate due to the smaller stadium.

Having the Whitecaps nearby at least helps with the exposure of the game. You also get the additional scouting and development benefits which benefits Canadian football.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Also, the transfer window closes today and there appears to be little being done on our front....

But hey, at least we maybe get to see Reus with the LA Galaxy!

Edit: They signed Édier Ocampo. Not really anything to get excited about though. The plan is probably to play this season out and hype up future plans....as things go in Whitecapsville.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We’re 8th of 29 teams in MLS this year and you want the team to fold because they aren’t Inter Miami?

To each their own, but this is a bizarre take.

We’re also very clearly not a ‘world class city’ on par with NY/LA/Miami.

Reactions: Red and Jyrki21

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7