OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The term "golden generation" is so overused. I was watching the American broadcast (f***ing atrocious bush league commentary btw) and they were talking about how this is USA's "golden generation."

USA's best player is just a starter at AC Milan and only worth 40m. The totality of the "golden generation" squad is worth 345.6m. This team is not going to challenge for the World Cup or even do anything in the Copa America to begin with. The ego in American soccer media is absurd.

Don't even get me started with the American broadcast of which I fell victim to. The nonsense calling out the referee by full name because you don't like a few calls that didn't go your way. He made some bad decisions but they called him out by his full name and they knew exactly what they were doing when they did that. It's to make sure he is harrassed. Disgusting behavior.

The handwringing of the VAR, even when the line was drawn proved them wrong that it was either too close to call or onside. The entitlement from the Americans is ridiculous. I hope they continue to lose till their whole media team retires.

I almost forgot to mention a time when there was an absolute crystal clear yellow on a tackle by an American on a Uruguayan player. Nothing, zip, nada, from the commentators. I think the federation should step in and tell them that this is unacceptable. In contrast the TSN broadcast is just night and day.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I watched the Uruguay goal and saw nothing wrong. Man who's offside doesn't partake in the goalscoring play, goalscorer is close but definitely onside. Nothing controversial.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Quite hilarious really. USA and Mexico both crash out of of Copa America in group stage....meantime Canada moves on, but still gets almost zero respect.

USA ranked 11th in the FIFA World rankings; and Mexico is 15th. Surely after this flop those ratings have to take a beating.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
A long time ago—a long, long time ago—I coached a team of 16-year-olds. They were terrible. A kid from Venezuela joined mid-season, and ... he was even more terrible. I've doubted Venezuela ever since.
More of baseball country.. but like Canada, starting to get better at futbol

Reactions: Lindgren

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The term "golden generation" is so overused. I was watching the American broadcast (f***ing atrocious bush league commentary btw) and they were talking about how this is USA's "golden generation."

USA's best player is just a starter at AC Milan and only worth 40m. The totality of the "golden generation" squad is worth 345.6m. This team is not going to challenge for the World Cup or even do anything in the Copa America to begin with. The ego in American soccer media is absurd.

Don't even get me started with the American broadcast of which I fell victim to. The nonsense calling out the referee by full name because you don't like a few calls that didn't go your way. He made some bad decisions but they called him out by his full name and they knew exactly what they were doing when they did that. It's to make sure he is harrassed. Disgusting behavior.

The handwringing of the VAR, even when the line was drawn proved them wrong that it was either too close to call or onside. The entitlement from the Americans is ridiculous. I hope they continue to lose till their whole media team retires.

I almost forgot to mention a time when there was an absolute crystal clear yellow on a tackle by an American on a Uruguayan player. Nothing, zip, nada, from the commentators. I think the federation should step in and tell them that this is unacceptable. In contrast the TSN broadcast is just night and day.

It's an accurate term though. They have a young team that are top level players. They have won the CONCACAF Nations League twice.

Canada is also in their golden generation at the moment. But again, I doubt they will win anything.

TSN just uses the BBC feed I think so they've always got the best ones.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
It's an accurate term though. They have a young team that are top level players. They have won the CONCACAF Nations League twice.

Canada is also in their golden generation at the moment. But again, I doubt they will win anything.

TSN just uses the BBC feed I think so they've always got the best ones.
I would argue they have almost no top-level players. How many players play important roles for their clubs in the top 5 leagues? Pulisic, that's it. Canada at least has David and Davies who play at a top level on top 5 teams.

There really isn't much quality there for USA to say that they have anything close to a golden generation. Good enough to beat Mexico and Canada, but not good enough for the WC.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I would argue they have almost no top-level players. How many players play important roles for their clubs in the top 5 leagues? Pulisic, that's it. Canada at least has David and Davies who play at a top level on top 5 teams.

There really isn't much quality there for USA to say that they have anything close to a golden generation. Good enough to beat Mexico and Canada, but not good enough for the WC.
Belgium's golden generation was also not good enough. Same with England's golden generation a little while back.

More parity in football would be a good thing, but it's pretty hard to break through. Argentina is not new to the party, but even they felt like a breath of fresh air as WC winners. Only 8 different winners since 1930, which includes 2 Uruguay wins from 1930 and 1950. Would love to see a team win it for the first time. Happens more often with the Euros of course.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Golden generation - Wikipedia

Key players include Giovanni Reyna, Weston McKennie, Folarin Balogun, Brenden Aaronson, Sergiño Dest, Yunus Musah, Timothy Weah, and Tyler Adams. The new young group has widely been described as America's golden generation.

All those players play for top 5 leagues in Europe. I'm far from an US supporter but they do have more of their players play for top clubs than Canada.

A golden generation is only compared to previous generations of the same country, you can't compare other countries "GG" to US. Comparably, the current gen of US players has accomplished way more than any previous, so I think they can be fairly called the golden generation.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Wondering if Colombia can give Brazil a run for their money here? First place is worth pushing for, as the loser faces Uruguay and the winner Panama. Colombia may of course play for a draw.

Reactions: Lindgren

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Golden generation - Wikipedia

Key players include Giovanni Reyna, Weston McKennie, Folarin Balogun, Brenden Aaronson, Sergiño Dest, Yunus Musah, Timothy Weah, and Tyler Adams. The new young group has widely been described as America's golden generation.

All those players play for top 5 leagues in Europe. I'm far from an US supporter but they do have more of their players play for top clubs than Canada.

A golden generation is only compared to previous generations of the same country, you can't compare other countries "GG" to US. Comparably, the current gen of US players has accomplished way more than any previous, so I think they can be fairly called the golden generation.
If that's how people see a golden generation that's fine. But I think if you are going to call your team a golden generation it's got to be able to be a top 5 nation or maybe even a top 10 nation in the world.

Like, that list could easily include several Netherlands teams. 1988 Euro winners: Ruud Gullit, Van Basten, Ronald Koeman, and Frank Rijkaard. Apparently not a "Golden Generation." I reject that list of teams, and I reject that you just need to be much better than your previous generations. Does every team that gets better over time have a golden generation when they get better?

Cambridge says that a golden generation is "used, especially in sports reports, to refer to a group of skillful soccer, rugby, etc. players of similar ages who achieve success or are expected to achieve success for their country."

This group of American players has not experienced success at a high international level and they should not expect to achieve success at a high level since their players are simply not good enough. The Netherlands is also not expected to achieve at a high level, but the quality of players is light years ahead of what the US has now.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If that's how people see a golden generation that's fine. But I think if you are going to call your team a golden generation it's got to be able to be a top 5 nation or maybe even a top 10 nation in the world.

Like, that list could easily include several Netherlands teams. 1988 Euro winners: Ruud Gullit, Van Basten, Ronald Koeman, and Frank Rijkaard. Apparently not a "Golden Generation." I reject that list of teams, and I reject that you just need to be much better than your previous generations. Does every team that gets better over time have a golden generation when they get better?

Cambridge says that a golden generation is "used, especially in sports reports, to refer to a group of skillful soccer, rugby, etc. players of similar ages who achieve success or are expected to achieve success for their country."

This group of American players has not experienced success at a high international level and they should not expect to achieve success at a high level since their players are simply not good enough. The Netherlands is also not expected to achieve at a high level, but the quality of players is light years ahead of what the US has now.
I can see what you are saying but I would argue that Luxemburg has a golden generation now. Never have had anything close and will take a long time before it is this good again.

Iceland had theirs the last 10 years and now back to their middling form.

I think it is all relative.

Whitecaps question:

I have not really seen Ali Ahmed play recently. What position has he been playing (prior to international duty)?

Reactions: Bubbles

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I can see what you are saying but I would argue that Luxemburg has a golden generation now. Never have had anything close and will take a long time before it is this good again.

Iceland had theirs the last 10 years and now back to their middling form.

I think it is all relative.

Whitecaps question:

I have not really seen Ali Ahmed play recently. What position has he been playing (prior to international duty)?
That's fair enough, but there should be another name, bronze generation maybe?

Reactions: PanniniClaus

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently Messi will miss Argentina's quarter final match against Ecuador. And his return for the rest of the tournament is uncertain. About what you'd expect for a guy who's now 37. And all these games are being played in crippling heat.

It's quite hilarious to read some of the on-line comments about the performance of the USA and Mexico in this tournament. And I thought hockey fans were a tough audience.

Both these coaching staffs need to keep their heads down until furore dies down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad