Prospect Info: 2024 Senators Development Camp

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

Here is Wallenius and Yakemchuk racing in a puck battle.

Mckeens and others have rated Wallenius as a good skater.
Wallenius is a gargantuan blueliner who can easily maul his opponents but is also a deceptively good skater

I wouldn't get caught up or extract too much from drills where the players are focusing on developing technique. They are not going full out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just adding any footage I find on twitter on here.

At first I thought it was Javon Moore vs Gabriel Eliasson. I didn't realize there was a Lucas Moore at camp until after I posted it.
He got under the shoulders and into the upper gut of Eliasson, who could not move fast enough to get by him. Impressive showing by Lucas Moore; unimpressive by Eliasson. :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Development Camp Day 2:

- Claire Hanna was at the rink today, along with the Sens Brass including Poulin, Bowness & Staois. Donovan seemed to have spent a lot of time today talking to Yakemchuk & Eliasson. Have yet to see Hamara, not sure he is at camp? Toure was there on crutches.

- it was all about skating today so not a lot to report. They were in two rinks today, one rink had the little skating coach & she was taking them through a number of drills & the other was also focusing on skating drills along with a number of one on one battles. It seems they are putting a lot of emphasis on puck battles & compete level.

- for those worried about Yakemchuk's skating, I didn't see anything today that led me to believe he would be behind anyone & out skated a few guys today & seems to pivot & turn on his edges well. These are drills & not game situations, but just from the drills he seems to be able to keep up with no problem & turn rather easily. It could be nitpicking, but he has plenty of time to correct any skating issues, I expect he will spend next summer in Ottawa working on his skating & take back everything he is learning here for next season.

- with the few puck battle drills I saw I really like the compete level in Rolofs, Ward & Javon Moore at forward. On defence Wallenius is really growing on me, he has a high compete level as does Yakemchuk & Eliasson.

- there is really no one at this camp that sets themselves out above everyone else so far, there are a lot of good big players who can all skate & have their own niches. Nordberg, Wallberg & Eliasson seem to be the three bigest guys at camp & Toure who was walking around on crutches today.

- Halliday is a guy I would like to see more up close, he has the size, he clearly has the talent, but is it bottom six talent or could it be honed & turned up to be a top six level remains to be seen. He clearly has very good vision, a knack for getting pucks through a crowd & plays a deceptive smart game. I'm also not sure about his compete level, but he does a lot of things well, same can be said for Petersson. Enjoy your day everyone.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yakemchuk’s skating IS FINE. It’s NOT A PROBLEM.
And he will improve even further.

The issue was that Dave Poulin was saying his skating was “Elite”.
It’s not.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yakemchuk’s skating IS FINE. It’s NOT A PROBLEM.
And he will improve even further.

The issue was that Dave Poulin was saying his skating was “Elite”.
It’s not.

His footwork, agility and backwards skating is a problem, and it's why he had issues with his gap control and got beat wide a lot last year.

And that was against junior players. The hope is that he'll improve it to a level where it'll be fine when NHL fowards are coming down on him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
His footwork, agility and backwards skating is a problem, and it's why he had issues with his gap control and got beat wide a lot last year.

And that was against junior players. The hope is that he'll improve it to a level where it'll be fine when NHL fowards are coming down on him.

Exactly. He's 18 years old and will grow but as it stands right now his skating is very much less than ideal by NHL standards.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

That’s not the hope. It’s what they’ll do. It’s just something he has to work on. All these young players have something they have to work on.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I'd like to be there for a couple Shelly Kettles skating sessions. Sens drafted him .. they will identify areas to improve and hopefully get him the support he needs to work on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samboni

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Development Camp Day 2:

- for those worried about Yakemchuk's skating, I didn't see anything today that led me to believe he would be behind anyone & out skated a few guys today & seems to pivot & turn on his edges well. These are drills & not game situations, but just from the drills he seems to be able to keep up with no problem & turn rather easily. It could be nitpicking, but he has plenty of time to correct any skating issues, I expect he will spend next summer in Ottawa working on his skating & take back everything he is learning here for next season.
One thing that's not often mentioned is that Yakemchuk regularly does successful spin-o-ramas (with the puck).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Development Camp Day 2:

- Claire Hanna was at the rink today, along with the Sens Brass including Poulin, Bowness & Staois. Donovan seemed to have spent a lot of time today talking to Yakemchuk & Eliasson. Have yet to see Hamara, not sure he is at camp? Toure was there on crutches.

- it was all about skating today so not a lot to report. They were in two rinks today, one rink had the little skating coach & she was taking them through a number of drills & the other was also focusing on skating drills along with a number of one on one battles. It seems they are putting a lot of emphasis on puck battles & compete level.

- with the few puck battle drills I saw I really like the compete level in Rolofs, Ward & Javon Moore at forward. On defence Wallenius is really growing on me, he has a high compete level as does Yakemchuk & Eliasson.

- there is really no one at this camp that sets themselves out above everyone else so far, there are a lot of good big players who can all skate & have their own niches. Nordberg, Wallberg & Eliasson seem to be the three bigest guys at camp & Toure who was walking around on crutches today.

- Halliday is a guy I would like to see more up close, he has the size, he clearly has the talent, but is it bottom six talent or could it be honed & turned up to be a top six level remains to be seen. He clearly has very good vision, a knack for getting pucks through a crowd & plays a deceptive smart game. I'm also not sure about his compete level, but he does a lot of things well, same can be said for Petersson. Enjoy your day everyone.
As a season ticket holder can I see all these practices?

Reactions: OD99

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Shean Donovan was on TSN1200 talking about Dev camp:

- Yakemchuk is very skilled. He was asked about Yakemchuk’s skating and Poulin’s comments about him being an elite skater vs scouting service comments, he couldn’t really assess as it’s been one day but said the prospects will meet with Shelly Kettles today and talked about how much guys improve their skating nowadays if they put in the work. Did say he doesn’t think his skating is an issue.

- He sat in on scouting meetings and Gabriel Eliasson came up over and over again. Sens were really high on him.

- Asked to highlight a couple prospects he’s been impressed by and he mentioned Hoyt Stanley. Said he had an incredible year in Cornell. He’s a big RD, smooth skater and plays hard. He’s a really good prospect, believes he’s gonna have a real chance to play in the NHL for a long time. Cornell doesn’t typically like to play younger guys and he was playing a lot by the end of the season and they’ll have a chance to win next year.

- The next guy he mentioned was Andonovski. Apparently he’s grown. Talked about how he plays big minutes in Kitchener and he plays mean, very tough kid.

Said those two in particular are stand-outs.

- He was asked about Halliday. He has high-end skill. Great hands and mind for the game. Everything ran through Halliday on a very average Ohio State team. Also mentions Wallberg made big strides too running their PP.
I thought Dono was done working with the team? Great to see him still in the fold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad