Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Per Hayes:

Team sources said the Twins were in serious discussions with the Toronto Blue Jays about Kikuchi when Houston blew their offer out of the water late Monday, leaving team officials to mirror some in the industry who believed the Astros paid a significant premium.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It's fun to check minor league scores and start to see a lot of the deadline acquisitions and recent draft picks starting to get into lineups, along with some post-deadline promotions (Victor Arias was the first one I noticed moving to Vancouver after a fantastic season in Dunedin).

At the very least, the minor league system should be a lot of fun to follow the rest of the season.

(Also, Alan Roden has been on a tear for Buffalo lately after a slow start. That's been nice to see.)
Hoping Roden and Palmegiani finish strong. Bay first guys who aren’t far off.
Useful players or decent trade chips.

Speaking of players to watch. How bout Trenton Wallace, 25yo lhsp at NH. Putting up his fourth good year in the system, drafted as a senior out of Iowa (good college career too) basically moving up a level a year. Career pro numbers so far: 2.62era, 1.073whip, 11.3k/9ip over 220ip.

Not sure on his stuff, and not a huge frame for a starter - solid at 6’1/190, but the results are there. Hard to find info on him actually. He’s kinda hiding in plain sight.

In general, Jays seem hyper cautious about innings for their prospects and conservative with promotion. Odd that they were happy enough to take fast-tracked 2023 picks from other organizations at the deadline, but don’t do it much on their own.

I’ll be following this dude, he’s likely due to be protected on the 40 man this year; and seems worth it.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
BNS and Blake Murphy had an interesting discussion about the 2025 budget on the latest Jays Talk Plus:
It looks like there'll be about 165 to 175 million committed for what's here. And then there's all this work to be done that we laid out. So 241 million is the CBT line for next year.

How do you feel about how that would spread over? We're talking about multiple bats, a split-timer backup catcher, a couple of relievers, a couple of starters. Some of this will have to come from trade unless the budget comes in way higher than we anticipated.

Yeah, I don't think it will come in way higher. And we're going to hear from Mark Shapiro in a week, so we'll get clarity on this to some extent at that point. I think if anything, it might come in lower.

I don't think that it would come in a lot higher than the CBT line.

Sounds like Rogers could cut payroll a bit. Opening day CBT payrolls the last 2 seasons in a row were exactly 250M. If Rogers is capping spending at the CBT threshold for 2025, that means opening day CBT payroll from 2024 to 2025 will be down by at least 9M. Opening day payroll might even come in lower than 241M.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Nice to get Yesavage signed. With trading for mostly hitters, the Jays draft of mostly pitchers near the top of the draft compliments the deadline moves very well.

Also bodes well that as pitchers, Bloss and Yesavage are firmly in the Jays top 3 prospects. Possibly even 1-2 with Tiedemann and Orelvis out. Both Bloss and Yesavage could be contributors late next season which is what this staff needs. Then add in Manoah and Tiedemann as options in 2026 should help as well. Need at least 2 of Bloss, Yesavage, Manoah, Tiedemann and Yariel become legit 3 or 4 starters.

Macko will be in AAA next year as well. The increasing amount of depth at the SP position might allow them to slide someone like Dahian Santos permanently to the bullpen. His FB/SL combo could really play up.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
BNS and Blake Murphy had an interesting discussion about the 2025 budget on the latest Jays Talk Plus:

Sounds like Rogers could cut payroll a bit. Opening day CBT payrolls the last 2 seasons in a row were exactly 250M. If Rogers is capping spending at the CBT threshold for 2025, that means opening day CBT payroll from 2024 to 2025 will be down by at least 9M. Opening day payroll might even come in lower than 241M.
giphy.gif

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

We're staring at a real possibility where Mike Trout ends his career with a total of 3 playoff games and 12 playoff ABs

The word "deserve" is thrown around a lot in the context of professional sports to the point it kinda lost meaning, but man if anyone deserves a better fate, it's probably him.

The best player of his generation and this is how it goes down. Brutal.

Even if this was going to happen it was always going to be an offseason move.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
There were a lot of posts made this past offseason about how it was a swell idea to trade for Trout and pick up the entire remainder of his albatross contract lol.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Doctors will always try to repair the meniscus if possible, but the likelihood of re-tearing it is still higher than one would want.

Considering this isn’t a back issue, and that despite all the injuries there doesn’t seem to be any recurring ones, I’d still say he isn’t cooked.

But in an effort to try to preserve his body, maybe going full/majority DH should be the move.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If I'm reading the speculation correctly we have a limited amount of money (50-65 million) to get a catcher, 2 relief pitchers, and at least one big bat.

The free agent market is pretty weak at catcher. I can see us waiting out the market on Jansen and seeing if he wants to return or I would call up the Dodgers and see if they're willing to part with Rushing who might make for an interesting platoon/tandem behind the plate. Fermin from KC and Davis from Pitt would be decent targets as well.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
There were a lot of posts made this past offseason about how it was a swell idea to trade for Trout and pick up the entire remainder of his albatross contract lol.

I reckon we would have missed the playoffs and been faced with an extremely cloudy future had we made that move!

Really though, Angels still had him running around in the outfield. I wonder how much better he'd hold up as DH - he still puts up superstar numbers offensively.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I reckon we would have missed the playoffs and been faced with an extremely cloudy future had we made that move!

Really though, Angels still had him running around in the outfield. I wonder how much better he'd hold up as DH - he still puts up superstar numbers offensively.

I mean... yeah. It would be similar to now only with a MUCH cloudier looking feature.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

Atleast he wouldn't still being played in CF here.

Angels should have moved him from there years ago

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I mean... yeah. It would be similar to now only with a MUCH cloudier looking feature.

If he can fulltime DH next year, he'd solve our need for another big bat. And he draws an audience, which may be an issue next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00