Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Tiedemann is gone for all of 2025.

I'd trade Bassitt if the value is an overpayment. The team can sign a FA to replace him. I have very little confidence Francis can start.
Yeah, that’s what I meant by rehabbing….I should have separated my thoughts better. Meant starters under control….rehabbing.

That’s my take on dealing either of - but not both - Gausman/Bassitt. Get the assets to help reload dealing one, and then backfill in FA. Despite their warts , and pending they’re still even around, this FO has shown they can nab an FA starter a year. Would be good asset management.

I get your hesitation about Francis, but he’s been killing AAA, has had some MLB success, and Bassitt among others rave about his stuff. He still might pull it all together. At least as a long man, spot starter.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
2 of the 3 players Jays got in the Kikuchi trade were James Click draft picks with the Astros. Might be Click who is driving the bus now.

This is actually my suspicion. If they were firing Atkins it would have been done by now or his role was already diminished. Otherwise, you don’t let him make these trades at the deadline.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So far it's been a pretty good trade deadline.

Tomorrow I would like to see KK traded. Give him a last chance at a WS. I would also like to see at least one of IKF, Green, and Bassitt traded. I would really like to think beyond 2025 but I am not sure that's going to happen.
Be interesting on IKF... He has a year left.. I wonder if they hold him to have a veteran around and can deal next year if they are not in it.

I think almost anyone can be had if the offer is right.

Positively no reason for KK to be on this team as of tomorrow. None.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think the 40 man has enough spots available? Not sure if Wagner needs to come up yet but I’m sure they can move off of KK/Berroa for Loperfido.

Another question I have is what do they do with Barger now that Loperfido and Clase are in the system. Does he go back to 3B?
He’s a versatile guy, like most of these young jays.
There’s also a chance that TO will finish their selling, and maybe even look at a volume value deal buying.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This offseason is shaping up to be a pretty damn good time to commit some FA dollars. Plenty of pitching will be available, plus a potential Bo replacement in Adames/Kim.

I’d say sell all but giving up guys with control (Bassitt/Gausman) would send some bad optics out there. At the very least they might be able to find some 1 year reclamation projects (Bieber) to fill in the gaps.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
1. Who was the reporter earlier today who very incorrectly opined that the Kikuchi market was drying up?
2. How much would one of those west coast teams pay for Kevin Gausman? He was pretty dominant in that division for quite some time.
3. Is there a blockbuster out there for Bo? There were reports that ‘the industry’ felt his value hadn’t really changed despite his rough year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh shit. the plot thickens.

Also lol, everyone knew that Soler was a bad signing but the Giants went and did it anyway. Atlanta should require Will Smith and Joc Pederson if they want to have a redux of 2021

I have a feeling that Kikuchi trade caused a lot of teams on the fence to go "wait, we can get that type of value for mid assets? what can we get for actual good assets?"

Teams to watch might be squads like the Reds, Cubs, Nationals and Rangers on top of the Giants.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Were they asking for Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez?

If it was for Skubal it would make sense. But i'm morbidly curious to see what a "Too high" price tag looks like for Flaherty.

Methinks someone is going to outstupid the Astros trade tonight later today....Does AJ Preller still have some prospects to desperately burn on a deal?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's because the White Sox are ran by idiots, to be fair.

True, but in the overall picture it’s really only the Kikuchi trade that has surprising value coming back.

Michael Lorenzen has an ERA a run lower than Kikuchi and he was traded for a 26 y/o bullpen prospect.

Reactions: Vector

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
That's a good trade to pick up some depth pitching (with control and upside) and a useful roster player. It's hard to comprehend how Kikuchi got that.

The Jays weren't bringing back Kikuchi so this trade is money.

2025:

1. Gausman
2. Berrios
3. Bassit
4. Free agent in the 12-16 m range i.e Andrew Heaney
5. Rodriguez/Bloss/Francis

IL: Manoah and Ricky

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
2 of the 3 players Jays got in the Kikuchi trade were James Click draft picks with the Astros. Might be Click who is driving the bus now.
Or it could simply be Click being a voice in the room. Is it your view that Atkins would blatantly ignore comments from Click that these were guys going after? Or is it your view that Click would only be partaking in these discussions if he was n charge?

Now it's always possible that Click is indeed driving the bus, but I fail to see how the players acquired in this deal would actually be evidence of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad