Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Yeah I just heard about the KK announcement... A bit surprised, but I guess he doesnt want to mess around with PTO's or minor league tryouts, given that he had trouble landing a team this year.

Anyway It was still a pleasure watching him play the outfield for the Jays 2 for 2 years. The hitting part has been painful this year, but last year he was pretty decent.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yankees are pure booty cheeks other than Soto and Judge. After their hot start, they are absolute garbage. It chafes my ass they are so far ahead of us. #1 bullshit.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
According to Blake Murphy, Jays will need to shed about $30 mil in payroll (prorated) at the deadline to stay out of the more punitive area (50%) of repeater luxury tax next year and instead stay at the 20% threshold they are this year.

So probably won't be taking on much salary in deadline deals.
They need to move 10 million in real salary I believe. My understanding is it resets completely though if we get under.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Why did he need to announce this right before the deadline lol. Not that I think it changes anything but still

Yankees are pure booty cheeks other than Soto and Judge. After their hot start, they are absolute garbage. It chafes my ass they are so far ahead of us. #1 bullshit.
I cousins believe the season they were having. I said last off season that I didn’t get the hype with them even with their superstars but I looked like a clown at the start of the year for that take lol. They are more what I figured of late

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
As of now, Varsho should be the Gold Glove winner in LF, and there's really no contest. He leads in every advanced stat despite only playing there half the time. No one else even has a case.

In CF, he should probably be a finalist, but it's less certain. He's also been the best, but maybe not enough to make up for the lack of time there. He's first in DRS (insane that anyone can lead at two positions), 3rd in UZR, and 7th in FRV. Definitely a contender, but no guarantee.

Considering Kiermaier might be moved, there's still a chance he could win (or at least DESERVE to win) both.

Reactions: aingefan

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Thought Kiermaier was retiring effective immediately for a second and was going to say that's like the worst luck ever

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

I will say that, from the various conversations that I've had recently, Ross was very much in charge of the draft. Ross is very much in charge of the deadline. Nothing has changed about his involvements in these very high leverage decisions that the club is making at this time of year.

And I also haven't gotten the impression that he's going to be let go at the end of the season. And if anything, if I was betting, and this is my opinion now, this is just me saying if I had to wager, I would bet that Ross Atkins is going to be the Blue Jays GM in 2025.

Arden Zwelling said this on the latest At The Letters pod.

Fans need to stop showing up, otherwise ownership will not care without a big attendance drop.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So the negative naysayers of yesteryear were right all along? Imagine that.

A learning lesson for the youngsters to never trust toxic positivity.
I worry about those toxic positivity types. They're either internalizing all that to the point they're gonna snap at some point or they're letting it out in some actual real-world context.

Toxic positivity is the belief that people should maintain a positive mindset no matter how dire or difficult a situation is. While there are benefits to being optimistic and engaging in positive thinking, toxic positivity rejects all difficult emotions in favor of a cheerful and often falsely positive façade. Some even consider toxic positivity a form of gaslighting. This is because it creates a false narrative of reality, often causing you to question what you think and feel

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So the negative naysayers of yesteryear were right all along? Imagine that.

A learning lesson for the youngsters to never trust toxic positivity.

This season is a totally different season from last season.

The team had been in the playoffs for 3 years straight.

Things only unraveled after the playoff disaster last year undermined the confidence and credibility of the organization, nothing was done about it, and then it was backed up by a terrible offseason.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Things only unraveled after the playoff disaster last year undermined the confidence and credibility of the organization, nothing was done about it, and then it was backed up by a terrible offseason.
Yup. There wasn't a lot of positivity during the offseason.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

Jays did not make the playoffs in 2021, so 2.

Reactions: Vector and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup. There wasn't a lot of positivity during the offseason.

I'm a big believer in overall organizational direction and 'feel' and how teams with leadership and direction overachieve and teams without it underachieve.

The 2023-24 Jays offseason reminded me so much of the disaster 2007 and 2020 Canuck offseasons where the players were left bewildered, lost belief, and the team cratered in the standings. And the opposite of what happened with the Canucks when the hapless Benning crew were replaced by Allvin and Tocchet.

That 2023 Berrios game was an absolute gut punch to that locker room, and to the fanbase. It outed the team as a not-serious club out-of-touch with their players, made their manager look like a powerless puppet, and was just generally a total embarrassment. Heads needed to roll for that, none did, and everything that's happened since has come from there.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Pretty sure Richards will be a Jay still after the deadline. Can’t imagine too many teams are gonna be interested in him anymore

Reactions: horner

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I haven't checked hitters stats within the farm system in a long time. Fisher Cats and down the numbers are really bad. Bats that looked promising aren't producing at all. Arias looks good in Dunedin and Nimmala since his return looks decent although the k rate is way too high. Outside of that, it is slim pickings.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I haven't checked hitters stats within the farm system in a long time. Fisher Cats and down the numbers are really bad. Bats that looked promising aren't producing at all. Arias looks good in Dunedin and Nimmala since his return looks decent although the k rate is way too high. Outside of that, it is slim pickings.
Yeah it has been a pretty horrific year on the farm, which makes the year at the major league level hurt a tad more. Bonilla having a 35% K rate in the FCL with no power as a 4+ million signing isn't exactly great either. The farm is about as bare as I can remember it in atleast the last 10ish years at all levels.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad