Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Remember that the Bluejays were hovering around. 500 in 2015 and at the trade deadline made a couple of trades and then they went on a winning streak everyone jumped on the bandwagon and they won their division. I hope that may happen again.
This team doesn't have a Bautista, Edwin or Donaldson. that hit for power and can actually get on base. No chance that happens.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That team was underachieving big time and certainly deserved a better record. They had something ridiculous like a +100 run differential despite the .500 record. Most runs scored by a mile in the first half, and while the pitching wasn't great, it was due for some better results

This current team is exactly where they should be given how they've played. Highly doubt they'll be able to turn it around
There is truth that the 2015 was underachieving, if remember correctly their run differential was good.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
They aren't anywhere near the point of blowing it up. This is sort of like asking why the Canucks didn't just blow it up last season when they were mediocre and like 20 points away from any of the playoff teams in their division.

Take it from someone whose NHL team is in the midst of a scorched earth rebuild: It's not pretty, nor is it a reasonably quick fix or the thing you want to do unless you know that the pain is coming one way or another. Sure it's nice having Celebrini on the horizon but it's still going to be a 5-7 year process by the time things are said and done. Plus it's not even a guaranteed path to success because you could easily end up the Blue Jackets, endlessly running around in the basement hoping that one day you might actually make some progress.

I see Columbus as the cautionary tale from the opposite perspective. That's a team that kept expending futures for years in order to try to stay competitive, and it produced a team with no present or future.

They seem to have changed their course only recently with the firing of Jarmo and embracing a rebuild.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I see Columbus as the cautionary tale from the opposite perspective. That's a team that kept expending futures for years in order to try to stay competitive, and it produced a team with no present or future.

They seem to have changed their course only recently with the firing of Jarmo and embracing a rebuild.

They're kind of both things. They were awful at the start. In 9 years they only got like 2 top shelf players from their top 10 draft picks (Nash and Voracek). After that it's like they got antsy and would draft high for a couple of years before deciding to push their chips in and accelerate the rebuild only to have it fail because they made dumb moves that didn't pay off, but also because they have largely sucked at drafting and can't build that strong backbone from within the organization that is necessary.

Given that basebaseball drafts are obscene crapshoots and the spectacular bust rate of prospects, I'm wary of expecting a teardown to be the "obvious" path forward. Sure we could be Baltimore, but we could also be the White Sox. Or the Marlins. Or the Rockies. Or the Tigers. This team needs fixing, but burning things to the ground is premature.

Reactions: MS and canucksfan

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The Jays will never be a contender with Schneider at the helm

..and I've also seen enough from Beeston, Atkins and Shapiro

If I owned the Blue Jays, I'd have a massive house cleaning, replacing many inept front office employees, to downsizing and reorganizing the entire baseball operations, player development and scouting departments

There are way too many employees in the organization who reek of ineptitude

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Interesting. He's not on the 40 man so a move might need to happen.
I assume just Manoah to the 60-day IL.

Berroa's seems like a fun guy. Switch-hitter who's hit pretty well at all levels, apparently is a good defender, and is a legitimate base-stealing threat. I doubt the ceiling is particularly high - a solid 4th OF seems like it would be a positive result - but maybe a fun guy to watch play.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Not a lot of good news lately but prospect Leo Jimenez is having another breakout year. Taking walks, hitting for more power, and not striking out as a 23-yearold playing primarily shortstop (only 1 error in 40 games).

159ab 7hr 22rbi 8(2b) 30bb 31so .296/.437/.478

He's looking like an underrated prospect. Since May he has a 175 wRC and his ISO is excellent.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This says it all about the season the Jays are having: Toronto Blue Jays' Orelvis Martinez suspended 80 games for PED violation | TSN

It also says a lot about the Jays' season that this drug is frequently used to bring about ovulation.

Can somebody explain why this would be on MLBs banned list? It seems like a strange way to mess with your hormones.

I'm assuming , and making an uneducated guess but quick google search said it ramps up testosterone so that's likely why. Can likely be used for other purposes to get a boost.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'm assuming , and making an uneducated guess but quick google search said it ramps up testosterone so that's likely why. Can likely be used for other purposes to get a boost.
It looks like he's been working with a fertility clinic - would they be able to clear things up or would there be privacy issues in play?

Did Shapiro and Atkins kill a bus full of nuns in the offseason or something? :sarcasm:
They were too busy driving the organization over a cliff.

This all happened pretty quickly, did the Jays really not know this was coming before his call up?
Excellent question. Teams should be proactively testing their players. Why weren't the Jays testing their own players and prospects?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad