Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1.765 WHIP in AAA is barf but the K/9 is excellent so yeah, they must be hoping that changing his pitch selection would help.

No idea why he's being called up over Ryan Burr, though, who has been absolutely gassing guys in AAA this year.

Quoting myself, but it seems like they called up a guy with a million options to give them an inning or two between now and when Rodriguez starts in a couple days ... gave him 2 innings today and he'll probably get optioned to activate Rodriguez tomorrow.

Burr has fewer options so wasn't the guy called up. Makes sense.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Wow, I'm a bit surprised by that tbh. I wonder how much of a chance he will actually get. There's a lot of competition at 3B with Clement and Barger and 2B as well with Horwitz and Schneider.

I guess IKF will be the full time SS for the next 10 days

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It would be really cool if Toronto could play a bunch of the kids in the same game

Maybe something like:

Horwitz 2B
Jano C
Schneider LF
Vlad 1B
Varsho CF
Turner/Springer DH
IKF SS
Barger RF
Martinez 3B

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It would be really cool if Toronto could play a bunch of the kids in the same game

Maybe something like:

Horwitz 2B
Jano C
Schneider LF
Vlad 1B
Varsho CF
Turner/Springer DH
IKF SS
Barger RF
Martinez 3B

How about Clement?

2B - Horwitz
LF - Schneider
1B - Vlad
C - Jansen
CF - Varsho
DH - Turner
SS - Clement
RF - Barger
3B - Martinez

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
How about Clement?

2B - Horwitz
LF - Schneider
1B - Vlad
C - Jansen
CF - Varsho
DH - Turner
SS - Clement
RF - Barger
3B - Martinez
IKF has played pretty well. You could theoretically have both in the lineup if you wanted to remove Turner.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
IKF has played pretty well. You could theoretically have both in the lineup if you wanted to remove Turner.
Yeah, I just mean if we are playing on fun mode, let's get Clement in there, lol. IKF will be the SS most days though.

Maybe tomorrow we will see Martinez at 3B.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Yeah, I just mean if we are playing on fun mode, let's get Clement in there, lol. IKF will be the SS most days though.

Maybe tomorrow we will see Martinez at 3B.
What is interesting is that if Horwitz's D at 2B is real (and not small sample), then he could theoretically be an every day 2B (Schneider isn't expected to field well enough to be every day and Barger isn't expected to hit well enough). Martinez is expected to have enough D that he could also be an every day candidate (likely at 3B).

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What is interesting is that if Horwitz's D at 2B is real (and not small sample), then he could theoretically be an every day 2B (Schneider isn't expected to field well enough to be every day and Barger isn't expected to hit well enough). Martinez is expected to have enough D that he could also be an every day candidate (likely at 3B).
You don’t think Schneider can play the field every day even if we trade for a LF and put him at 2B? Or you mean only LF?

I have Horwitz as 1B/DH/2B, Schneider at 2B, Barger as a platoon RF, backup 3B. Hopefully Martinez can make it work at 3B. We definitely need a LF no matter what.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What kind of defender is Martinez?

Not good. Started at SS but was bad so was moved to 3B but wasnt good either so they moved him to 2B thinking that would be easier but he was somehow worse. So he moved back to 3B. I think that is his best spot and they should give him a full year there. If not, he might be just a 1B/DH type.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not good. Started at SS but was bad so was moved to 3B but wasnt good either so they moved him to 2B thinking that would be easier but he was somehow worse. So he moved back to 3B. I think that is his best spot and they should give him a full year there. If not, he might be just a 1B/DH type.

It seems slightly odd that they've never tried him for a single inning in the OF because everything about him just kinda *seems* like a corner OF power bat.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
You don’t think Schneider can play the field every day even if we trade for a LF and put him at 2B? Or you mean only LF?

I have Horwitz as 1B/DH/2B, Schneider at 2B, Barger as a platoon RF, backup 3B. Hopefully Martinez can make it work at 3B. We definitely need a LF no matter what.
Schneider's glove isn't good enough to be every day 2B. He could be every day LF if the Jays skimp, but his best role would be 2B/LF/DH where he plays every day, but moves based on other guys.

If Horwitz is truly a plus defender at 2B, he's playing 2B every day. If not, he's 1B/2B/LF/DH.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
How about Clement?

2B - Horwitz
LF - Schneider
1B - Vlad
C - Jansen
CF - Varsho
DH - Turner
SS - Clement
RF - Barger
3B - Martinez
DH Horwitz
LF Schneider
1B Vlad
SS Bichette
C Jansen
CF Varsho
2B Orelvis
RF Barger
3B IKF

Turner (92 wRC+/124 ISO) and Clement (75 wRC+/135 ISO) are both weak side platoon bats who suck vs RHP, and Springer is straight up washed. The above might be the team's best lineup at the moment when also factoring in that top prospects like Orelvis/Barger should see regular playing time and get to play through their warts.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sucks that he had it so far into the season knowing it’s essentially two seasons lost now.

His most recent start might've been his last ever as a Blue Jay.

What a complete and utter nosedive after such a promising 2022 campaign, too. Dude went from Cy Young finalist and projected ace of the rotation, to multiple demotions and now longterm surgery and recovery.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I was at the game last night. I had to post to comment on the renovations. The fan experience is much improved at the dome. The crowd seemed to be more engaged and the renos look great . If you have not gone to the dome, I highly recommend you do. Really enjoyed the game experience. I will be definitely going a lot more to the games this year.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
His most recent start might've been his last ever as a Blue Jay.

What a complete and utter nosedive after such a promising 2022 campaign, too. Dude went from Cy Young finalist and projected ace of the rotation, to multiple demotions and now longterm surgery and recovery.
I would be shocked if he's done as a Jay. He showed significant signs of improvement his last few starts. They're not just going to cut him while he's rehabbing or something. At the very least he'll get a chance to work his way back and help out mid-2025.

Reactions: Starry Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad