Prospect Info: 2024 Round 7, 171 Overall - C Matyas Melovsky

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Players like him should be signed as free agents. I still like him as a pick more than Graham.
That’s if he makes it through the rest of the 6th/7th and chooses to sign with the Devils. I haven’t seen his tape but I trust when Dennehy says they had him way earlier than what they selected him at. He also hinted they may have reached at a couple players.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
First all, I'd like to say that I like Melovsky. He's a good defensive center who skates well and is not afraid of the greasy areas. He's got decent size and good skates.

But you also need to add that, when taking a double over-aged player in Round 6 you simply need to hope they're not taken in the next handful of picks and you can essentially sign them to a tryout contract for free.

Melovsky was still a better pick than Graham, as he has a good shot at paving his way as a bottom six center in the AHL and an outside chance at a 4th line C role in the NHL. But it's tough to fathom why an NHL braintrust of a team with $100 million dollars paying team and staff can't figure out that they essentially wasted two picks on players they could have just signed, and instead took the two highest upside available guys in the 5th and 6th rounds and wound up with 4 prospects instead of 2.

So ultimately, I'll say it wasn't a *bad* pick because Melovsky should play a role in the organization in some capacity. I like him as a player, he has heart and some sand and defends and skates well. But as good as our Russian scouting has been, I would've preferred the team to roll the dice on a Kol or Krutov, both of whom were taken by Carolina, and then sign Melovsky tomorrow.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That’s if he makes it through the rest of the 6th/7th and chooses to sign with the Devils. I haven’t seen his tape but I trust when Dennehy says they had him way earlier than what they selected him at. He also hinted they may have reached at a couple players.
Okay. They drafted 4th line center at best. We could find one on the market. Its harder to find developed version of Krutov. You know, at least one pick for upside in the 3-6 rounds. I think Traff has some potential , but still best case scenario is Zetterlund. And I really will be happy. Reason why I like this pick more than others. Even if finding winger for bottom line is even more easier task.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
First all, I'd like to say that I like Melovsky. He's a good defensive center who skates well and is not afraid of the greasy areas. He's got decent size and good skates.

But you also need to add that, when taking a double over-aged player in Round 6 you simply need to hope they're not taken in the next handful of picks and you can essentially sign them to a tryout contract for free.

Melovsky was still a better pick than Graham, as he has a good shot at paving his way as a bottom six center in the AHL and an outside chance at a 4th line C role in the NHL. But it's tough to fathom why an NHL braintrust of a team with $100 million dollars paying team and staff can't figure out that they essentially wasted two picks on players they could have just signed, and instead took the two highest upside available guys in the 5th and 6th rounds and wound up with 4 prospects instead of 2.

So ultimately, I'll say it wasn't a *bad* pick because Melovsky should play a role in the organization in some capacity. I like him as a player, he has heart and some sand and defends and skates well. But as good as our Russian scouting has been, I would've preferred the team to roll the dice on a Kol or Krutov, both of whom were taken by Carolina, and then sign Melovsky tomorrow.
Another oof.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't think this is strictly true - so sure, you can invite a guy to development camp, or even try to sign him to an AHL deal, but this gives the Devils control over his rights entirely. Chances are that they don't even sign one of these guys to an NHL deal, which, again, I agree that the Graham pick is terrible, but they were not willing to risk A: them being drafted by someone else B: them falling through the draft and then potentially signing with someone else C: having to sign them to ELCs when they may not warrant it. This also gives both guys the option of going back to junior for an overage season without it counting on an NHL contract, which is also nice.

As an example, Ondrej Palat was drafted by Tampa in the 7th round in 2011 as a double overager, with only 4 picks left to go in the draft. They could've let him pass through the draft possibly, and then competed with other teams to sign him. They didn't sign him to an ELC until the end of training camp that year, seeing enough to justify the investment.

I think drafting one of these guys is totally fine, but two is definitely a mistake. That said, I like having a list and sticking to it - yes, you can sign a guy, but there's no guarantees.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad