Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He just erases guys along the wall and the middle of the ice with a knowing ease. I don't recall seeing many young guys, pre or post draft, do that.

Even if he tops out as a huge Paul Martin, that's a big win.

Martin was f***ing incredible and hugely underrated. If he played today I think people would recognize him as far better than he’s currently perceived to be. He was an analytical darling

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
By the way, a young Chara was nowhere near this far along defensively.

Yeah him ever becoming Chara is putting too high expectations on him but he’s way further along than Chara was at the same age. Chara was a gangly guy who moved like Bambi. Silayev’s skating is arguably even more standout than his size

Stevens and Niedermayer is a tough act to follow.

But I remember most of us here loved him and argued whether or not he was a #1.

I'm not doubting most people loved him and thought he was really good. I don't know if most people would've thought he was "this" good

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yeah him ever becoming Chara is putting too high expectations on him but he’s way further along than Chara was at the same age. Chara was a gangly guy who moved like Bambi. Silayev’s skating is arguably even more standout than his size

Not sure about all the Chara comparisons. It doesn't seem like he has the slapshot Chara had.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not sure about all the Chara comparisons. It doesn't seem like he has the slapshot Chara had.

He definitely doesn’t. His shot is pretty underdeveloped and Chara was Chara. With his skating and being willing to activate though it could result in him being able to pitch in somewhat from the backend. A shot also isn’t really that hard to develop. Won’t be a Chara shot but with his size and strength he should be able to develop a good shot

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He definitely doesn’t. His shot is pretty underdeveloped and Chara was Chara. With his skating and being willing to activate though it could result in him being able to pitch in somewhat from the backend. A shot also isn’t really that hard to develop. Won’t be a Chara shot but with his size and strength he should be able to develop a good shot
Watching his highlights on YouTube and his shot seems fine. Not a howitzer but his writer looked to have good velocity and placement. Frankly thr big bomb shot is less of a weapon than it used to be compared to the value of accuracy and getting it away quickly.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Watching his highlights on YouTube and his shot seems fine. Not a howitzer but his writer looked to have good velocity and placement. Frankly thr big bomb shot is less of a weapon than it used to be compared to the value of accuracy and getting it away quickly.

Yeah I agree it's "fine". Like you said he does a good job of getting the shot through which matters more. For a guy his size though his shot is definitely underdeveloped to this point. It could be a bomb as well and have both in his arsenal.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I heard mention that he usually keeps his shots low, which I think is a positive in terms of getting rebound opportunities. Nothing worse then when Dmen can't get their shot on net, or fire it off the glass.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I heard mention that he usually keeps his shots low, which I think is a positive in terms of getting rebound opportunities. Nothing worse then when Dmen can't get their shot on net, or fire it off the glass.
Or manage to hit the captain in the head

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There was obviously more to that story
Was our 3rd head coach of the year after the previous two got fired. I don’t remember exactly but I think he wanted the D scoring more and also felt like the forwards weren’t tipping pucks and being wimps out front.

So he told us to start firing them at their heads. I guess they’re either gonna start going in or the forwards were gonna find a way to tip them.

A lot of pissed of forwards when we started pegging them with shots in practice and they were trying to duck out of the way but we just told them the coach was standing behind us telling us to.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Watching EP's March ranking discussion (Silayev talk starts 21:09) and Mitch Brown said he really like Silayev's retrievals and breaking pucks out on smaller ice but on bigger ice he generally is flinging pucks around. I think his ability to make plays under pressure and break pucks out is the one thing that would really "make or break" him. It's the difference from him ending up as a dominant defensive player who forces one and dones and keeps the puck away from his own zone. OR him being a defender who is still great at actively shutting guys down but D zone turnovers and failed breakouts would result in him having to keep defending rather killing plays and moving things the other way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad