Confirmed with Link: TJ Brodie - 2 x 3.75M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Hoping for two things to happen:

1) trading Murphy is coming
2) NHL GM’s are weird - let’s hope a solid bounce back season from Brodie, retain on him at deadline and get a 1st. The extra year for like $2,5M can be appealing

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Zaitsev needed a replacement I guess.

Makes me think KD doesn't think he's got a whole lot with his young dmen coming up. If he's right, good call to move on rather than wait and not force NHL toi if it's a waste of everyone's time. This would be a huge step forward for KD after watching the botched decisions of KK, Reichel, off-side defense, and Soda plugged into big roles last year. If this is a shift by management, correcting some errors last year, I'm good with this signing, otherwise I have to cringe.

Can't imagine a team wants Murphy now, old, injuries, no experience winning things. Might not be a trade except to dump some prospects.

Other bonus, keeps Richardson away from more young players on Brodie's side.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
would have preffered a 1 year deal. his father did pass away right before the season so maybe he is a little better this year then last. but 2 years does not make much sense IMO

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Adding Martinez and Brodie may be a hard reset to the approach Davidson had last season when the Hawks started the year with three open spots on D and with far less than repalcement level players(Tinordi and Zaitsev). Remember the video with Davidson and LuRich telling Vlasic, Kaiser, and Korchinski that they made the roster out of training camp? Almost seemed like fait accompli. They were fortunate with Vlasic.

Hindsight is 20/20 and they put some of their young players in a difficult position. But perhaps they learned a hard lesson:

“Well, you see how hard the playoffs are and if you can compete in this league every night, you have to have the veteran depth to help on a nightly basis,” Blackhawks coach Luke Richardson said on Monday. “Also, building the depth up in the organization, we saw with injuries last year and I know it was an abundance of injuries at once or trickled together, you have to have a better depth market. You can’t just bring up all young guys when they’re not ready. The idea for Rockford is to develop and if you pull them out of that too early, it’s hard. It kind of takes them out of their timeline and sometimes puts them back even further behind.

I don't know if a trade is brewing or if Korchinski is heading to Rockford. But I don't want him being a 7th dman since that won't help his growth. The same for Kaiser, EDM, and Allan. They need to earn it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Adding Martinez and Brodie may be a hard reset to the approach Davidson had last season when the Hawks started the year with three open spots on D and with far less than repalcement level players(Tinordi and Zaitsev). Remember the video with Davidson and LuRich telling Vlasic, Kaiser, and Korchinski that they made the roster out of training camp? Almost seemed like fait accompli. They were fortunate with Vlasic.

Hindsight is 20/20 and they put some of their young players in a difficult position. But perhaps they learned a hard lesson:

“Well, you see how hard the playoffs are and if you can compete in this league every night, you have to have the veteran depth to help on a nightly basis,” Blackhawks coach Luke Richardson said on Monday. “Also, building the depth up in the organization, we saw with injuries last year and I know it was an abundance of injuries at once or trickled together, you have to have a better depth market. You can’t just bring up all young guys when they’re not ready. The idea for Rockford is to develop and if you pull them out of that too early, it’s hard. It kind of takes them out of their timeline and sometimes puts them back even further behind.

I don't know if a trade is brewing or if Korchinski is heading to Rockford. But I don't want him being a 7th dman since that won't help his growth. The same for Kaiser, EDM, and Allan. They need to earn it.
Agreed but you don't need to commit two years at over seven million dollars to do that. We went from leaving two spots open to a bunch of potential kids to one.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Agreed but you don't need to commit two years at over seven million dollars to do that. We went from leaving two spots open to a bunch of potential kids to one.
what does the money really matter to this team on this time frame though? and what's the opportunity cost? no real good way of answering that second question without being privy to info none of us is. the two years is fine. anything off the books before bedard has to get a real contract is just gravy.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
what does the money really matter to this team on this time frame though? and what's the opportunity cost? no real good way of answering that second question without being privy to info none of us is. the two years is fine. anything off the books before bedard has to get a real contract is just gravy.
I don't really care about the money on short term deals it's the opportunity cost more than anything. We're rebuilding and you've given a coach who loves his vets more vet toys.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I don't really care about the money on short term deals it's the opportunity cost more than anything. We're rebuilding and you've given a coach who loves his vets more vet toys.
no reason whatsoever to rush the kids into the show, and like i said no real way of knowing who else was out there in FA for what number willing to come to this dumpster fire for low term. sounds like splitting hairs to me.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
no reason whatsoever to rush the kids into the show, and like i said no real way of knowing who else was out there in FA for what number willing to come to this dumpster fire for low term. sounds like splitting hairs to me.
At two years and 3.75 you're not providing stability you're creating an obstacle with a large dollar amount to overcome. With a coach that overplayed an absolute traffic cone like Tinordi. In a perfect situation I'd get it but in the Golden Era I didn't like the Handzus or Rozi extensions because you're giving a guy bad veteran options he'll play over kids with potential.

It made some sense when we were trying to win cups. A thirty five year old playing over a twenty one year old of roughly similar ability doesn't make sense when we're trying to finish fifth worst.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
At two years and 3.75 you're not providing stability you're creating an obstacle with a large dollar amount to overcome.
whose stability are we worried about here? it also seems like a bit of a stretch to me to call 3.75 a large dollar amount, especially when it comes off the books before anything matters.
With a coach that overplayed an absolute traffic cone like Tinordi.
i get that, but also brodie isn't tinordi. like not even close. brodie at his worst has never been as bad as tinordi at his absolute best.
A thirty five year old playing over a twenty one year old of roughly similar ability doesn't make sense when we're trying to finish fifth worst.
i'd rather the 21 year old play good hockey and develop his game in the A. let the 35 year old get caved in at the pro level until the 21 year old doesn't give management a choice but play him (ala vlasic), even if management is made up of the dumbest hockey meat head simpletons (like i am constantly told lurich is even though it's KD giving him his "toys"). i'm not worried about d prospects seeing significant ice time with the top club until ages 23-24, and even then there's no shame in splitting time.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
My optimistic take - TJB is only 33 YO and was dealing with his father's death last year in a difficult situation. He was over-relied upon and should be deployed in a more limited role this year. Hopefully he bounces back and could be moveable with retention at the deadline for an asset. Hawks have a bunch of fragile blueliners so 100% believe that there will still be opportunities for the young kids.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Isaak Phillips is the only D, 22 under prospect guy who I think has no value to go back to Rockford. Even Crevier I would say still can develop more there.

So I don't see a glaring issue if some guys make it or some guys are still down there.

If Phillips/Crevier will sign their tenders or kinda try to nudge themselves off the team is a question though. They might see it like a better opportunity if they can get elsewhere.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Vlasic-Jones
Martinez-Brodie
EDM-Murphy
Phillips

Any longer injury puts Kaiser or Korchinski in. Seems like a good rotation.

Rockford

Korchinski-Allen
Kaiser-Crevier
?-Maniscalco

Last edited:

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
just to be clear, i don't even like the brodie signing. i called it the worst news of yesterday, and i can easily see why someone might want to see edm or kaiser get that ice time. i can also see the logic behind loading up on vet d, and i am happy with any incremental improvement on a d-core that included jared f***ing tinordi last year.

Reactions: bwana63

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Vlasic was great last year, Kaiser was quietly quite good too IMO. Zaitsev settled in after being rough at first.

Korchinski needs more development, hopefully as much on the offensive side as that's where he should be most confident.

Seth Jones being an offensive quarterback is a HUGE problem with our D because he's terrible at it.

Murphy was bad last year but health could be a factor there, Megna/Tinordi were outright tank commanders, Phillips wasn't very good either.

Just have to wait and see if this guy bounces back but there's clear improvement on paper.

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
My optimistic take - TJB is only 33 YO and was dealing with his father's death last year in a difficult situation. He was over-relied upon and should be deployed in a more limited role this year. Hopefully he bounces back and could be moveable with retention at the deadline for an asset. Hawks have a bunch of fragile blueliners so 100% believe that there will still be opportunities for the young kids.
Brock Boeser's (Canucks) father was ill for last few years and passed away May 2022. BB had 18 goals 22/23. Bounced back with 40 last season. These are still young men in very difficult circumstances.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Random fact. I've had dinner with TJ Brodie.

Super nice guy. Very low key and you'd never know was a multimillionaire.

Hope he can find his game again this season and be an effective leader.

1719930610603.jpeg

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
whose stability are we worried about here? it also seems like a bit of a stretch to me to call 3.75 a large dollar amount, especially when it comes off the books before anything matters.

i get that, but also brodie isn't tinordi. like not even close. brodie at his worst has never been as bad as tinordi at his absolute best.

i'd rather the 21 year old play good hockey and develop his game in the A. let the 35 year old get caved in at the pro level until the 21 year old doesn't give management a choice but play him (ala vlasic), even if management is made up of the dumbest hockey meat head simpletons (like i am constantly told lurich is even though it's KD giving him his "toys"). i'm not worried about d prospects seeing significant ice time with the top club until ages 23-24, and even then there's no shame in splitting time.
I don't care about the money and LuRich shouldn't care about the money but it absolutely carries weight in the dressing room. Given this same roster construction Vlasic doesn't make the team out of camp over Korchinski and we can both agree that would have been a huge mistake.

I'm not saying Brodie is anywhere near Tinordi. I'm also not saying LuRich is a meat head simpleton. I don't ascribe anything to you because of what others have said do me the service of reciprocating the favor. My complaint is Brodie is so much better than Tinordi that we don't have a veteran depth defenseman. Vlasic/Jones/Murphy/Martinez/Brodie are our top five defenseman. When healthy they will play every night. We've got room for one prospect and room for a middling prospect to eat popcorn from the press box.

There's less room for diamonds to harden. I don't like that with the amount of guys ready to play in the NHL that we have.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Given this same roster construction Vlasic doesn't make the team out of camp over Korchinski
i honestly don't even know what this is supposed to mean.
I don't ascribe anything to you because of what others have said do me the service of reciprocating the favor.
i wasn't intending to ascribe anything to you. i was using an aside to air one of my bug bears because it is adjacent to the conversation, and bolsters my point.
My complaint is Brodie is so much better than Tinordi that we don't have a veteran depth defenseman.
if that's the complaint, it sounds like a pretty good problem to have. to the point that it doesn't even really sound like a complaint.
We've got room for one prospect and room for a middling prospect to eat popcorn from the press box.
again, i don't really see much of a problem. let them play in the ahl until they can show unequivocally that they deserve to play over a 35 year old brodie or a 36 year old martinez.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad