Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Watching his shift by shift videos, that defense is legit NHL caliber, today. At least as far as I can judge those things.

Good positioning, good stick work, knows when to take the body and when to ease off, and he’s really hard to catch flat footed for obvious reasons. Little bit of seasoning and experience and you can set him and forget him on 3 PK minutes a night and a top 4 ES pairing and just grind down opponents.

And Im not even sure the offense is that sketchy. The instincts are there, tighten up the execution and you get Slavin but big and more physical.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I’m coming around on this pick a bit. I love defensemen with good positioning, and Silayev seems to have that down intuitively. Reminds me of Larsson in that regard.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m coming around on this pick a bit. I love defensemen with good positioning, and Silayev seems to have that down intuitively. Reminds me of Larsson in that regard.

Way better skater than him too but if he ends up as a Larsson type, I think most of us would be thrilled considering people have been pining (I'm people lmao) for his return until the RHD got situated very nicely in recent years

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Way better skater than him too but if he ends up as a Larsson type, I think most of us would be thrilled considering people have been pining (I'm people lmao) for his return until the RHD got situated very nicely in recent years
If he ends up a Larsson type, he'll be Hal Gill lol

I hope that's not the case :laugh:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Or he, Buium, could be another Drysdale.

It has been discussed at length here that the formula to Stanley Cup level success is building a team full of players that compliment each other. And that means not having 4-5 of the same type of tweeners. Fitzgerald's approach is the correct one. Get the right fit and the puzzle will come together eventually.
This team needed muscle and size in the back end. It's exactly what we got. Next step is to get a power forward. Fit and grit is what you need to win Stanley Cups, not the Drysdales of the world.
It's not the right approach if Silayev doesn't turn into an impact player.

Freshman NCAA defensemen who perform at Buium's level almost always become impact defensemen, many being high, high-end. I rated him in the 2nd tier of prospects with Demidov (1st tier being Celebrini). That's just a different level of player that, IMO, warrants the overkill in skillets. Trade your way out of it with the others, like Casey, who simply will not have a place on the roster as it is.

I don't view Buium as a purely offensive guy either. He's very strong defensively (much stronger IMO), relative to the non-Silayev defensemen in the draft. Was on the primary matchup pair and #1 PK for the NCAA championship winning team.

Again, like I said, I don't mind the pick. Silayev fills a big need and I still had him rated top-10 (and above like Dickinson and Yakemchuk). I just think Buium is a different tier of player. If Buium were already off the board, my view of this pick would be a home run.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I changed my mind. I'm good with this pick. I really wanted Nygard and I think he's going to a the kind of player we could really use very soon...but the more I watch him skate the more I like the pick.

I think also there is potential offense there with how well he skates.
People greatly underestimate your vision. It's a compliment. Honest. But don't make that mistake either. It's great to hear this from you. I believed you will like this kid.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It’s an even better pick for us with our D makeup. The kid doesn’t need to hit his absolute development peak to be money with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad