Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
after sleeping on it, i think my number 1 takeaway for Silayev is that the 10th pick was found money. Silayev would not have been my choice but there’s no arguing his ceiling is through the roof. Does it make sense for a ceiling to be through a roof?

This is not a complaint about the player, but the only thing that kinda bothers me is for a 17yo Russian whose value will likely come from his defending, i think we need to accept the likelihood that Silayev won’t be a legit NHL asset for maybe another 5 years. There’s gonna be a big adjustment period for him, especially as he fills out his frame.

And finally i think the Chara and Hedman comparisons are completely unfair. It’s just as likely he’s Tyler Myers or Jamie Oleksiak. But that’s still a valuable player to have cost-controlled while the Devils aim to reach contender status. And hopefully by the time he gets here, it’s not a question of “if” OR “when.”

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Noticed he was playing RD this whole game. Does he normally play both ? (see him listed as LD).
Yea I noticed that during the clips on TSN last night. Makes what he was doing last year as a top four defenceman in the KHL even more impressive.

can anyone tell anything from a 17 year old? i’m just going off what i’m reading
Unless it’s an actual scout that can project offense, what you’re reading is the thoughts of 17-year-old in most circumstances

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
People misconstrue offense with one on one skills and flashiness when realistically most offense is created via a stretch pass, a breakout pass to a player like Hughes, making yourself an option off the rush and shots on goal from the point. He is already very good jumping into the rush, probably elite given his skating and length. To say he isn’t able to improve those other two skills is quite humorous. He will likely be a 30-40 point Dmen with zero PP time.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
People misconstrue offense with one on one skills and flashiness when realistically most offense is created via a stretch pass, a breakout pass to a player like Hughes, making yourself an option off the rush and shots on goal from the point. He is already very good jumping into the rush, probably elite given his skating and length. To say he isn’t able to improve those other two skills is quite humorous. He will likely be a 30-40 point Dmen with zero PP time.

I agree with the fundamental point here about offense but let's be a little realistic here, only 20 defensemen had 30 or more 5v5 points this season and only 5 had 40. So that's a lot of 4v4, 3v3, and empty net stuff to get him over a line.

20-30 is realistic, 40 is an incredible season.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I agree with the fundamental point here about offense but let's be a little realistic here, only 20 defensemen had 30 or more 5v5 points this season and only 5 had 40. So that's a lot of 4v4, 3v3, and empty net stuff to get him over a line.

Yea maybe so, I just think Ryan McDonaugh in terms of production.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I am just happy it wasn’t Sennecke, Yakemchuk, Parekh.

I was shocked at some of the picks before the Devils. Best draft for defenseman and only 1 gets taken in the top 5. Then the riverboat gamblers go before the two way defenseman.

Once the pick wasn’t traded and Silayev fell, I knew he was the pick. It was not a surprise in any sense.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Silayav-Nemec pairing is going to eat

That will open up Nemec offensive rover tendancies

I would’ve said this if I hadn’t seen Luke-Nemec absolutely decimate teams together this year

If he mixes well with Luke, Nemo and potentially Casey with great to hopefully elite D, that’s a crazy top 4 even with Casey making it.

You say “even with Casey” making it as if he’d be dragging down a top 4

Reactions: Guadana

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Yea maybe so, I just think Ryan McDonaugh in terms of production.

Reactions: My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Having a player like this, with the size, defensive ability and high compete/physical play really adds diversity to our back end.

I'm curious if he can make a good breakout pass at this stage, but either way, this could add a great element to our team down the line.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I will say one thing

Fitz has done an incredible masterful job at building this teams defense.

I do wish we started this way 10 years ago given the extra time that it takes defenders to truly hone their craft...

But we went from absolutely nothing with the big club or in the pipeline to some of the best defensive prospects that we seen since the 1990's

So even though I am not 100% thrilled with the idea of a defensive Defenseman at #10 overall, I do love what the organization has done to build a fantastic D.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
When will Devils draft pick Anton Silayev play in North America? Not as soon as you’d like

IMG_3698.jpeg

Plans to play out his 2 years. I think that’s fine. He should come over and step right into the NHL and already be effective and helpful.

IMG_3699.jpeg

Nemec is already my Lidstrom comparable. I don’t think I can handle watching a 6’7” version. :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad