Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I'm always a little hesitant with players who play alongside superstars. I know he continued that pace in Carolina, but I question how inflated some of those stats are with Crosby and Malkin. I suppose he will continue that with Point and Kuch
He maintained his P/PG playing mainly with Evan Rodrigues and Zucker in 20-21 while Malkin and Sid were injured to start the year.

This is more of a Panarin/Kane situation than anything else.

When was the last time you saw a Canes skater put up 1.5 ppg?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Patrick Laine who's on a clearly terrible contract? As another poster pointed out, most of his comparables are making 8-10. The ones making more are just overpaid.

1.) comparing raw figures is silly. Gas used to cost a nickel. It’s the aav%

2.) players generally get paid market value. It’s easy to say players are overpaid and on bad contracts. But they got that money for a reason it’s market comparables.

Guentzel got paid Patrick Laine/bo Horvat money.

Tampa got a good deal here.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm unsure why there's a constant desire to debate whether every contract is either a steal or an overpay. There is a lot of middle ground that exists between those and that's where the majority of contracts actually fall. This one just seems like pretty fair market value based on how his peers have been compensated.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Not going to happen, and taxes have jack shit to do with it. This is a myth, that has been refuted numerous times by different agents and actual accountants.

Only people still moaning about taxes are Canadian fans and media, who can't get over the fact that there are more attractive places to play hockey than Canada.

Naw, we’re just fed up paying these high as f*** taxes without getting anything for it

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
1.) comparing raw figures is silly. Gas used to cost a nickel. It’s the aav%

2.) players generally get paid market value. It’s easy to say players are overpaid and on bad contracts. But they got that money for a reason it’s market comparables.

Guentzel got paid Patrick Laine/bo Horvat money.

Tampa got a good deal here.
Laine got paid for what he was supposed to become, not what he was. Still not sure how this is a crazy tax deal.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I like how Tampa had that insane run few years back with 3x finals and then it seemed like their window was closed, and basically decided they needed to make some reshuffling. Just needed to do something to change the look of the team as the old group was not getting it done anymore.

So now they made pretty bold moves here and their team looks very different going into next season. We'll see if they can get back there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm very curious to know what people saying this is an overpay think that Guentzel should have gotten as a free agent.
7-8 is where I would be comfortable with him. He's a great complimentary offensive player, but 9 is too much for him IMO.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He hasn't scored 40 the last 2 seasons and he's getting old

Sure. But again look at the comparables. It’s not about your or my subjective views. It’s about market value.

He got
Bo horvat/PLD/Schiefle money on. 7 year term.

That’s an under pay for what he has done.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reinhart clearly wants more cups and is giving Florida a chance to get them. That deal would have been good 5 years ago.
Absolutely, I also read that Florida room is super tight. Players love playing with each other. For 18.6M, I don't think there is a better 2 way duo in the NHL right now at that cap hit than Reinhart and Barkov.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Guentzel has the higher rate of production across their respective careers, and especially at 5on5. Plus he got one less year of term than Reinhart.

Would you be surprised to know that Reinhart has played 176 more career games with only 47 more points?

Reinhart never had his numbers pumped by playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Reactions: Paulinbc

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
1.) Domi is a 9 goal 47 pt player who has been on a series of 1 year 3 million contracts. I like the deal. But it’s not like he got paid Less than before. And it was 4 years. Still the longest contract of his life.
Let’s see what the market holds

2.) guentzel as a 7 year ufa signed for 10.2% aav. That’s harder to compare. Still seems light to me. But will have to see what others took on 7 year deals.

3.) if there was no state tax advantage. Played may still take a discount. Sure. But there is. That’s like saying “sure I had the answers to the test, but I know them all anyway so I would have still got perfect”

It’s silly
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad