Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
All I can say, is watching him, its clear his offensive game may never really develop...but honestly, who cares? Take the offensive aspect of his game completely out of the picture. Can anyone who watches him say he doesnt have elite defensive upside?

That size, with that skating, with the way he plays in the defensive zone equals potential elite defense. And the best part is...the NJ Devils do not need a great offensive dman at this point, we have a star offensive dman in the making in Luke Hughes, we have a potential dominant two-way dman in Simon Nemec, and we even have an undersized offensive dman prospect in Casey...hmmm, almost like Silayev may fit in perfectly with that crew.

Someone like Buium may be a better prospect in some people's eyes, but I honestly don't understand how he would be a better prospect for the Devils.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
All I can say, is watching him, its clear his offensive game may never really develop...but honestly, who cares? Take the offensive aspect of his game completely out of the picture. Can anyone who watches him say he doesnt have elite defensive upside?

That size, with that skating, with the way he plays in the defensive zone equals potential elite defense. And the best part is...the NJ Devils do not need a great offensive dman at this point, we have a star offensive dman in the making in Luke Hughes, we have a potential dominant two-way dman in Simon Nemec, and we even have an undersized offensive dman prospect in Casey...hmmm, almost like Silayev may fit in perfectly with that crew.

Someone like Buium may be a better prospect in some people's eyes, but I honestly don't understand how he would be a better prospect for the Devils.
Those are all good points, but posting well over 10 times a year? It's getting tiresome, slow it down.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

There’s a lot of game in between just straight offense and defense. My biggest concern is whether he’ll be an effective enough puck mover and transition player.

Buium IMO definitely have been a far better prospect for the devils.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
There’s a lot of game in between just straight offense and defense. My biggest concern is whether he’ll be an effective enough puck mover and transition player.

Buium IMO definitely have been a far better prospect for the devils.

Disagree...give me the player with huge defensive "unicorn" upside (as so many scouting reports, plus my eyes, say) vs a player who duplicates so much of what we already have.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Disagree...give me the player with huge defensive "unicorn" upside (as so many scouting reports, plus my eyes, say) vs a player who duplicates so much of what we already have.
Buium doesn’t duplicate what we have. He’s elite in all 3 zones and great in every aspect of the game.More complete of a prospect than Luke was and more skilled and complete than Nemec.

Calling him a unicorn is just another way of saying he’s big. I don’t disagree with the pure defensive potential. I’m concerned about the other aspects which are important even as a defensive guy. Doesn’t have the poise, skill and puck moving ability it takes to be a top defensemen right now. He’s a bit of project so hopefully he develops well and him playing well in the KHL is pretty impressive.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
How has mukmahdali looked in San Jose? Trying to see if the khl scouts got that right
He looked great in the AHL and was an Allstar there. didn't play with the Sharks because they wanted to keep him from that tire fire for last year.

He's better then a couple players drafted before him and only players drafted after him I would have rather had with the knowledge we know now is Faber and Peterka.

So I think its a clean hit by the scouts.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Buium doesn’t duplicate what we have. He’s elite in all 3 zones and great in every aspect of the game.More complete of a prospect than Luke was and more skilled and complete than Nemec.

Calling him a unicorn is just another way of saying he’s big. I don’t disagree with the pure defensive potential. I’m concerned about the other aspects which are important even as a defensive guy. Doesn’t have the poise, skill and puck moving ability it takes to be a top defensemen right now. He’s a bit of project so hopefully he develops well and him playing well in the KHL is pretty impressive.
If that was the case buim certainly would have went in the top 5 like Luke and Nemec did

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I mean you have to see how the defense is made up....how can you be upset with this pick?

Seems exactly what this team needs....very excited and he can skate!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad