Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I wasn't saying Nygard had those qualities over anyone... I'm saying that Nygard is the perfect top 6 forward that fits our needs perfectly and will be in North America after 1 SEL season.
I think this team needs a taller, heavier, stronger, faster, defensive d-man. But that's just me, I know how much you like your smaller, lighter forwards, so I won't try to change your mind.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
so, a very good one dimensional defenseman?
Going off my reading, I think, as the Devils you’re thinking he looks like potentially a very good modern defensive defenseman who has the chance to develop into a top 2-way defenseman.

Defenseman sometimes develop their offensive games late. His skating looks to already give him that potential for offensive impact if he develops the reads.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
From the Athletic:

10. New Jersey Devils: Anton Silayev, LHD, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod (KHL)

April 11, 2006 | 6′ 7″ | 207 pounds

Tier: NHL All-Star

Player comparable: Zdeno Chara

Analysis: Silayev took a regular shift with power-play time on a KHL team this season as a 17-year-old and stood out for Torpedo in the KHL playoffs. When he went down to their junior team for their playoffs, he wasn’t as good as expected, although he was strong to end his year captaining Russia’s U20 team. He is a unique type of prospect who’s easy to dream on. He can play all situations and play on his off wing. Silayev is a 6-foot-7 defenseman who skates very well for his size. He has excellent footwork and a smooth stride, with strong four-way mobility. He closes gaps quickly on his check, plays a very physical brand of hockey and thus projects to be a premier shutdown type of defenseman in the NHL. He can skate pucks out of his zone well, makes a good first pass and shows strong hockey sense at the offensive blue line. Silayev has strong puck skills and can beat pro defensemen one-on-one often enough. His offensive play won’t blow you away, but it’s good enough to move pucks in the NHL and get points. He can be solid offensively to go with elite defensive play to be a potential No. 1 defenseman one day

Pick grade: A

Thoughts on the pick: Silayev fell further than some expected in the draft, as teams were unfamiliar with him and had some offense concerns in his game. I didn’t share those concerns. I don’t see premier offense in his game, but I see enough with his size, mobility, and physicality for him to be a premier NHL defenseman.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
PXL_20240629_025740548.jpg

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Did I miss STI’s remarks on this pick?
Nvm, found it!
Lo

Love the pick. He's a unique player who is already outstanding defensively. I don't think I've ever seen a player 6'6 or over who skates so well. Good with the puck, though not on the level of a Parekh or Buium. The potential is huge.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'd say almost assuredly a very good defensive defenseman who can skate, who has the upside to be an elite defensive dman who can skate and maybe even develop enough on the offensive side to contribute 40-50 points as well.
All we need is for him to be good at transition and I couldn’t care less about offensive production

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad