Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You take Buium or Parekh and we're gonna have the same posters calling this defensive core too soft and too many of the same players. Both of those guys are good, I think Buium is a bit overrated but they have too many similar dmen in his mold already. And if people despised Year 1 Luke then yikes at seeing Parekh early on.
Buium and Parekh aren’t similar nor do we have a Buium. Personally think he shoulda have been a top 5 lock and could pretty quickly be a top 5-10 dman in the league.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Huh who in the world has said this? If his development goes as expectant it’s 3 years max. Hopefully only 2

Well I read he’s got two years on khl contract. Going to doubt and not expect him to make the jump right to the nhl that’s year 3. I would figure 4th is his rookie year. Even staying 1 year in khl isn’t moving the needle for me

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
From the Athletic first round draft grades (https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5599237/2024/06/28/nhl-draft-2024-first-round-grades-analysis/):

10. New Jersey Devils: Anton Silayev, LHD, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod (KHL)

April 11, 2006 | 6′ 7″ | 207 pounds

Tier: NHL All-Star

Player comparable: Zdeno Chara

Analysis: Silayev took a regular shift with power-play time on a KHL team this season as a 17-year-old and stood out for Torpedo in the KHL playoffs. When he went down to their junior team for their playoffs, he wasn’t as good as expected, although he was strong to end his year captaining Russia’s U20 team. He is a unique type of prospect who’s easy to dream on. He can play all situations and play on his off wing. Silayev is a 6-foot-7 defenseman who skates very well for his size. He has excellent footwork and a smooth stride, with strong four-way mobility. He closes gaps quickly on his check, plays a very physical brand of hockey and thus projects to be a premier shutdown type of defenseman in the NHL. He can skate pucks out of his zone well, makes a good first pass and shows strong hockey sense at the offensive blue line. Silayev has strong puck skills and can beat pro defensemen one-on-one often enough. His offensive play won’t blow you away, but it’s good enough to move pucks in the NHL and get points. He can be solid offensively to go with elite defensive play to be a potential No. 1 defenseman one day.

Pick grade: A

Thoughts on the pick: Silayev fell further than some expected in the draft, as teams were unfamiliar with him and had some offense concerns in his game. I didn’t share those concerns. I don’t see premier offense in his game, but I see enough with his size, mobility, and physicality for him to be a premier NHL defenseman.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well I read he’s got two years on khl contract. Going to doubt and not expect him to make the jump right to the nhl that’s year 3. I would figure 4th is his rookie year. Even staying 1 year in khl isn’t moving the needle for me
So him not playing for that long was entirely based on your assumptions.

He may very well may be able to jump in right away after 3 seasons in the KHL. Most likely won’t need 2 seasons in the AHL to adjust.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Looking at the shift by shift, seems likable. Defensively, he certainly looks more polished than most kids his age. Even if he didn't have the size advantage, his habits are pretty good. He does seem allergic to keeping the puck on his stick, but it's not like the reads are wrong.

It's funny to lose Bahl and Marino and draft a hybrid of those two in the same month.

EDIT: Probably goes without saying but you can disregard the opinion of anybody saying this kid has no IQ. Not true in the slightest.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
For more context, I went back to McKenzie's write up and looked at what his scout panel had to say about Silayev:

Bob McKenzie's Final NHL Draft Ranking: Many attractive and diverse options after Macklin Celebrini | TSN

Silayev is repeatedly referred to as a “unicorn.”

There are no 6-foot-7 defencemen in this draft who move as well as him. There aren’t many 6-foot-7 defencemen on the planet who skate as well as this behemoth. He started the KHL season with a flourish, getting eight points in eight games, but his offensive output really dried up as the season wore on. The early comparisons to Victor Hedman have mostly faded, but the excitement over his future NHL prospects have not.

“At the end of the day, all that really matters is that he’s a 17-year-old who played regularly in the KHL and played well and showed he has all the tools be a shutdown NHL defender who can still skate and carry or pass a puck up the ice,” said a scout. “That’s a unicorn.”

“He’s going to be an elite defender,” another scout said. “A huge minute muncher. That and that alone provides huge value, but he’s not without some offensive ability, but it’s most definitely secondary.”

There are certainly defencemen in the group of six who have way more offensive upside than Silayev. And the Russian Factor could come into a play to some degree as well.

“No doubt, none of us have had eyes [live] on him, so that can complicate a decision,” a scout said. “We won’t ever have met him until we get to Las Vegas. And if you’re picking in the top five or 10 and you want a defenceman, you’ve got a whole bunch of really good ones who you have seen live and who you have talked to and know pretty much everything about.”

It doesn’t hurt that Silayev was coached by Hall of Famer Igor Larionov, who is accessible and well connected with NHL GMs, scouts and executive.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My only issue with the pick is I came in wanting the big fast fwd, or the center we could plug into the 3rd line in year. It's purely that I had become set on the "best fit" fwd.

But once the high end d-men fell, I have to make that adjustment. And of the 3, the huge, defensive fist, excellent skating physical lefty d-man, is probably the best fit.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm amazed that the guy McKenzie had at #4 dropped all the way to 10.

I'll admit I wanted Buium or Dickinson at this spot, but I can't fault Fitz for taking a faller who we didn't expect to be available.

Hoping it works out for the best.

Some of it has to do with scouts not being able to see him live due to the political climate currently in Russia.

How has mukmahdali looked in San Jose? Trying to see if the khl scouts got that right

He's looked amazing in the games he played late in the year and the Sharks fans think he'll be a regular next year

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My only issue with the pick is I came in wanting the big fast fwd, or the center we could plug into the 3rd line in year. It's purely that I had become set on the "best fit" fwd.

But once the high end d-men fell, I have to make that adjustment. And of the 3, the huge, defensive fist, excellent skating physical lefty d-man, is probably the best fit.
NJ had a plethora of choices at 10. Maybe we can point to a couple of guys we would have preferred but clearly NJ wanted Silayev over them . Would not shock me to find out they had him as a top five prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad