GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Nowadays the guys they use their high picks on [Boucher, Eliasson, Yakemchuk] don't even look like they have much going on.
And that's your interpretation after one meaningless game? come on man really?? What was your expectations today? I don't understand that after one game that means absolutely NOTHING!!! You have come to the conclusion that those players "have not much going on" You need to give those young players time.

Reactions: bert

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
People are seriously reading into an exhibition prospect game featuring mostly guys with no NHL potential? Come on now...

I don't care how prospects play right now, they're chosen for what they have the potential to turn into, not how good they are at the moment. The point of these games are to allow these prospects a chance to work with thr Ottawa Senators staff. Hopefully they can take away some things to learn going into the next game.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
You know how when you're a kid and you get a gift that you don't really like from a relative, but you try to make it seem like you do like it because you want to be polite?

That's how I think Eliasson fans act when they see him throw a big hit and ignore literally every other part of his game.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
People are seriously reading into an exhibition prospect game featuring mostly guys with no NHL potential? Come on now...

I don't care how prospects play right now, they're chosen for what they have the potential to turn into, not how good they are at the moment. The point of these games are to allow these prospects a chance to work with thr Ottawa Senators staff. Hopefully they can take away some things to learn going into the next game.

Sure but these guys were several tiers below NJ guys.

How does that happen? The difference level in skill and hockey sense was wild.

Reactions: SNES and SENStastic

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
"Hard to play against hockey" right there.

Domited in cross checks, slashes and penalties, got dominated everywhere else.

You know how when you're a kid and you get a gift that you don't really like from a relative, but you try to make it seem like you do like it because you want to be polite?

That's how I think Eliasson fans act when they see him throw a big hit and ignore literally every other part of his game.

Multiple undisciplined penalties, responsible for several goals against, and obviously brought nothing offensively, but I'll bet you money ol' Donny Boyd and the scouts got many thrills up their legs after all those cross checks and slashes he threw.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Couldn’t watch. From what I gather from the Bell interview, the real question is did the sens back down?
No they took bad penalties until the very end!

"Hard to play against hockey" right there.

Domited in cross checks, slashes and penalties, got dominated everywhere else.

Multiple undisciplined penalties, responsible for several goals against, and obviously brought nothing offensively, but I'll bet you money ol' Donny Boyd and the scouts got many thrills up their legs after all those cross checks and slashes he threw.
Eliasson is undoubtedly hard to deal with after the whistle.

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Prior to 2021 they've had decent record even with some depth picks. But after the 2020 draft its been brutal at all levels.
Lots of teams have Ridley Greig level guys. And kleven level guys. I think we’ve been conditioned to be reaaalllyy stoked about 2nd rounders that could potentially one day be steady bottom pairing guys

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Lots of teams have Ridley Greig level guys. And kleven level guys. I think we’ve been conditioned to be reaaalllyy stoked about 2nd rounders that could potentially one day be steady bottom pairing guys
I was also considering guys like Chabot, Bath, Pinto etc.. They've had decent value for their later draft picks past the top 5 before, but not in the recent years.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Yes it was an exhibition game, but it was also a statement game for Boucher and he was invisible as far as I could tell (I only watched pieces).

Hamara is another guy that is being quickly passed by other prospects and I thought he stunk (again only in the small parts I watched).

I think our goaltending was also shite.

The intensity may have been dialed down for most but for some, they needed to show something and they didn't.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Yes it was an exhibition game, but it was also a statement game for Boucher and he was invisible as far as I could tell (I only watched pieces).

Hamara is another guy that is being quickly passed by other prospects and I thought he stunk (again only in the small parts I watched).

I think our goaltending was also shite.

The intensity may have been dialed down for most but for some, they needed to show something and they didn't.
Exactly this. This is not analogous to some established roster player, with multi-million dollar contract already on the books just taking a preseason game off and just going through the rounds. These tournaments are for rookies to showcase what they've got to offer to the club and stand out, they're suppose to try their hardest to earn a second and third look from the higher ups and force their consideration for the big club in the future.

None of them succeeded in doing any of that, and they were playing against their equals. It was a gong show.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
9-1, wow. That is an embarrassing beating.

When you are that thoroughly outclassed, have to think it raises some eyebrows in management.

Will be interesting to see if the group can bounce back and be competitive against the rest of the teams. A one-off blowout is whatever, but if they keep getting trounced that could lead to amateur scouts looking for new jobs.

Reactions: gab6511 and OD99

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Question to the experts here: What is it about Yak's skating that is holding him back? Pure mechanics issue? Lack of strength? Or is he simply a big body who won't ever move fast?

And most important....is it fixable?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad