GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In terms of players on amateur tryouts, and based on the NHL-CHL agreement, the following players are only eligible to sign an ELC:
David Egorov, Anthony Cristoforo, Lucas Moore, Ryder Boulton, Matthew Buckley, Eliot L'Italien, and Landen Ward.

The following players on amateur tryouts are eligible to sign an AHL contract:
Niall Crocker, Mark Duarte, Ryan Humphrey, and Stuart Rolofs

All amateur try out players can earn an invite to the Ottawa Senators training camp if they perform well. Last season only 4 amateur try-out players received an invite to main camp and the rest were released after the rookie tournament.

Why this is important, is that for the first list of players they need to try to earn an ELC. If they get sent back to the CHL without a contract then (to the best of my knowledge) they can't be signed at a later date, they can only be potentially drafted by the Sens.

If an amateur try-out player earns an ELC and is eligible to play in the CHL and is assigned there (which includes all the players from the first list) that ELC will slide which means that it will not count against the NHL contract limit.

Look for the first list of players to fight hard to demonstrate they are worthy of an ELC. Look for the second list of players to fight hard for an ELC but also fight hard to demonstrate that they could be worthy of an AHL contract.
I don't know much about Boulton or Buckley, but from the other guys who were at development camp I thought Ward & Rolofs had a good camp, the others were hardly noticeable. Should be interesting if any of these invites get to go to training camp with Ott or Belleville. Ott is going to have a pretty tough team at this tournament.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I am "wowable" by a "wowable" player; I hope you are correct in your assessment of him.

Why would the Ottawa Senators "shut down" Tyler Boucher after 1 game? After all of the issues he has had, he should get as many games as possible to show what he can do.

I'm not saying he will be, but often the top guys do not play all three games. Now, everything about Boucher's situation is unique at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're sending him down there thinking he'll play one game to knock off some rust before main camp.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If a brawl breaks out in this Rookie Tournament, the team playing the Senators is in deep trouble.
This team is going to have no shortage of scrappers.
Smart on the Sens part. There's a lot of meat heads in these tournaments that will try to impress by taking a run at the other team's best prospects. I like that the Sens are bringing in some protection for them.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I don't know much about Boulton or Buckley, but from the other guys who were at development camp I thought Ward & Rolofs had a good camp, the others were hardly noticeable. Should be interesting if any of these invites get to go to training camp with Ott or Belleville. Ott is going to have a pretty tough team at this tournament.
Last year at the rookie tournament only 4 camp invites earned an invite to the main training camp. They were Djibril Toure, Tarun Fizer, Conner Clattenburg and Jackson Stewart. Toure ended up earning an ELC and Fizer earned an AHL contract.

Interesting enough there were only three camp invites that got into fights at the rookie tournament and all three earned invites to main camp. That was Toure, Clattenburg and Stewart.

If I were to make a prediction about who could earn contracts from the camp invites I would say Landen Ward and Ryder Boulton could earn ELCs, and Jackson Stewart, Niall Crocker and Mark Duarte could earn AHL deals.

The Senators might want an enforcer type of prospect and they didn't have a 6th or 7th round pick in the last draft to take a flyer on one. Ward is a better prospect than Boulton but they both could get consideration for an ELC if they impress in the rookie tournament, earn invites to main camp and continue to impress. If the Sens like them and believe in their upside then they will want to keep their rights so they could get an ELC. They also have only been passed over in one draft so there is a lot more development room available if the Sens see some potential in them.

Dave Bell seemed to like and trust in the play of Stewart last year. I could see him getting an AHL deal and then splitting the season between the ECHL and AHL. I could see something similar for Crocker and Duarte. They seem like they could carve out a role for themselves. Crocker could go back to the WHL but the Sens would need to sign him to an ELC to retain his rights otherwise they could track his performance through the season but then he can sign with any team.

There is always a chance for someone to make a name for themselves in a tournament like this. The whole management team and likely the whole coaching staff will be in attendance. A strong performance here can earn a look in main camp and a strong performance there can earn them a contract.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So no excuses this year, it's make or break for him.

Don Boyd, in his TSN1200 interview, said they still see the same upside in Boucher as they did when they drafted him and that he just needs to get reps in playing games.

It likely helps a prospect like Boucher a lot that Andlauer is now the owner and there is competent management in place. Look how much bigger the athletic staff of trainers and therapists are. There is a much better chance of keeping players healthy than the bare bones staff the previous management team and ownership had in place.

Boucher says he is fully healthy now and he has made adjustments in his training methods, now he has a chance to show what he can do. It is certainly a very big year for him and it is important that he takes a big step forward in development.

Reactions: LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Don Boyd, in his TSN1200 interview, said they still see the same upside in Boucher as they did when they drafted him and that he just needs to get reps in playing games.

It likely helps a prospect like Boucher a lot that Andlauer is now the owner and there is competent management in place. Look how much bigger the athletic staff of trainers and therapists are. There is a much better chance of keeping players healthy than the bare bones staff the previous management team and ownership had in place.

Boucher says he is fully healthy now and he has made adjustments in his training methods, now he has a chance to show what he can do. It is certainly a very big year for him and it is important that he takes a big step forward in development.
Andlauer talked about this on the Coming in Hot podcast. He said it was pretty abysmal and a bit shocking for a pro org. and got a total overhaul this summer. Lots of renos from the sound of it to go along with the staff bolstering. He said he hopes it helps his team stay healthier and at least now they'll be properly supported.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Andlauer talked about this on the Coming in Hot podcast. He said it was pretty abysmal and a bit shocking for a pro org. and got a total overhaul this summer. Lots of renos from the sound of it to go along with the staff bolstering. He said he hopes it helps his team stay healthier and at least now they'll be properly supported.
If it was an isolated incident where all these injuries were happening in the Sens care, I “may” buy that

It has been happening:
- Before he was drafted with the NTDP
- In the NCAA with BU
- In the OHL with Ottawa
- In the World Juniors with Team USA
- In the AHL with Belleville

Regardless of who he has been playing with, the lack of development or training staff in Ottawa had nothing to do with him getting injured.

It remains to be seen if the needed improvements in those areas are going to help, but I’d have very serious doubts.

Reactions: OD99

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

IN the DAN BOYD interview , I m not sure if I have understand correctly. Is he said we have expect that with Boucher pick, in the 2 - 3 years following the pick. People would have said , how this kid was not pick earlier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad