Boston Bruins 2024 Rookie Camp and Prospects Challenge Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rookie Camp and Prospects Challenge Schedule:

Wednesday, September 11 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)
- Practice, 10:45 a.m.
- Select players and staff available to media after practice

Thursday, September 12 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)
- Practice, 9:30 a.m.
- Travel to Buffalo, NY

Friday, September 13 (HarborCenter, Buffalo, NY)
- Game vs. Pittsburgh Penguins, 12 p.m.
- Select players and staff available to media after the game

Saturday, September 14 (HarborCenter, Buffalo, NY)
- Game vs. Columbus Blue Jackets, 3:30 p.m.

Sunday, September 15 (HarborCenter, Buffalo, NY)
- Practice, 11 a.m.
- Select players and staff available to media after practice

Monday, September 16 (HarborCenter, Buffalo, NY)
- Game vs. New Jersey Devils, 10 a.m.
- Travel to Boston, MA

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The kids show up Wednesday, full of hope and promise, dreams and maybe a few healthy doubts, as a new hockey season gets under way on Guest Street. It’s Day 1 of Bruins rookie camp in Brighton, with some 25 fresh faces trying to secure a foothold on their NHL careers.
Truth is, though it’s not officially a closed shop, the Black-and-Gold varsity roster this season looks like it will be no country for young men. Job openings are few, most likely zero.

Be that as it may, what’s important in the days ahead for “the young bucks,” as captain Brad Marchand referred to them, is for them to be aware their every move is being watched, on and off the ice.

Compete matters, perhaps more than anything. Conditioning and work ethic matter. Attitude matters, on the ice, in the gym, even when lining up in the chow hall, noted Marchand.

Eyes. Everywhere, eyes. It’s the sports version of “Person of Interest.” Be careful, kid, that ballpoint pen peeking out of team president Cam Neely’s gabardine suit pocket? Could really be a camera.

“Everything is about leaving an impression,” noted Marchand, who was 20 years old when his rookie camp of 2008 led him straight to Providence for his first pro season. “Maybe you don’t make the team out of camp, but the impressions you leave here can dictate the opportunities you get in the future.”

As of Tuesday morning, the Bruins had yet to make public the names of the two dozen or so starry-eyed hopefuls who’ll take the ice under the charge of Providence coach Ryan Mougenel. For the most part, the emphasis for roster composition is expected to be on first- and second-year pros, perhaps augmented by a sprinkling of kids from the three top Canada junior leagues likely destined for more seasoning in the amateur ranks.

It was at this camp a year ago that Matthew Poitras, age 19 and expected to be kicked back to OHL Guelph for the season, earned himself an invite to the following week’s varsity camp … and then went on to become one of the youngest players in the NHL for 2023-24.

A shoulder surgery ultimately cut short Poitras’s rookie season, but his case proved that there’s work there for the taking. Poitras, who this year will report directly to the varsity shop that opens a week from Wednesday, should be a source of inspiration for the kids about to arrive.

A handful of the likely rookie camp attendees:

Jackson Edward (defenseman). A physical, 6-foot-3-inch backliner whose game is framed on thumping. Reporting from OHL London, where he learned the game’s nuances from Dale Hunter, a man of few, shall we say, subtleties.

▪ Frederic Brunet (defenseman). Second-year pro. Played 48 games for Mougenel’s WannaB’s last season after moving up from QMJHL Rimouski. Also 6-3. Noticing a trend?

Brett Harrison (center). Another second-year pro, following up his 5-9—14 rookie season in Providence. Again, 6-3, and spent most of his junior career in Oshawa, the launching pad decades ago for Bobby Orr.

John Farinacci (center). Played three seasons at Harvard before signing and spending all of last season at Providence (71 games: 12-26—38).

Trevor Kuntar (center). An ex-BC Eagle from Gronk’s part of Western New York (Williamsville). Collected 10-10—20 in his first year at Providence, turning pro after his three seasons at The Heights.

▪ Riley Duran (center). Grew up in Woburn (on Duran Drive). He’s 6-2, shoots from the right side, was drafted at No. 182 in 2020, and turned pro with Providence last spring after his three seasons with the Providence Friars.

A smattering of the prospects will advance to varsity camp, while others will be shipped out or designated for Providence.

According to Marchand, it’s important for the kids to lean on the skills that have served them well to this point.

“You can’t come in and change now, try to be something else,” mused the veteran of 1,029 NHL games. “Play with what has allowed you to have success. If you’re a scorer, don’t try to be a checker. If you’re a checker, don’t try to be a scorer. Play within the confines of your game.”

Above all, he noted repeatedly, be aware that those who are watching, those who have a say in where their careers go, have an eye for detail.

In a world where all the little things matter, there’s no such thing as the inconsequential moment.

“The biggest thing for me is, when I see young guys come in, they treat practice like practice,” he said, “rather than it’s like a tryout. You’re being watched. Sometimes guys don’t finish drills, they don’t push back hard enough in one-on-one drills. They treat it like a practice.

“What they don’t understand is, no matter where you are, no matter what you’re doing, you’re being watched, whether it’s in the gym, the way you clean up after yourself when you’re eating, the way you walk in the dressing room and what you’re wearing. Everything is an about example and leaving impression.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1726065251179.jpeg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Ryan Bischel is a Golden Domer through and through.

And like any loyal Notre Dame fan, he’s not over last week’s loss to unranked Northern Illinois on the gridiron.

“I was actually at the game. I left at halftime. I couldn’t watch,” said Bischel, a former standout goalie for the Irish, following Wednesday’s first practice of Bruins rookie camp at Warrior Arena. “It’s bogus. It was tough. You’ve got to win out now. They’re making it hard on themselves.”

Bischel is one of two goalies — he’s the one with the shiny gold mask — competing at camp as part of the Bruins contingent that will head to this weekend’s Prospects Challenge in Buffalo.
An undrafted player, Bischel played three seasons in the USHL before turning in a decorated career in South Bend, where he appeared in 105 games with a 47-44-7 record, a 2.46 goals against average, and a .924 save percentage. Among his accolades were Big Ten Goalie of the Year and second-team All-American.

“Just kind of a roundabout journey for me,” said the Medina, Minn., native. “I played three years up in Fargo, N.D., and then five years at Notre Dame before landing here. So yeah, I guess everyone’s path is a little different and took me a little longer than some other guys, but I feel prepared now. I feel like all those years kind of prepared me well for this.”

Bischel, who signed a one-year deal with Providence in the spring, turned 25 over the summer. He is the oldest player on the rookie camp roster as he looks to jump-start his professional career. He had other offers but liked what he heard from the Bruins.

“This just seemed like such a good organization,” he said. “My agent and I felt like this was the best opportunity for me depth-wise and development-wise as well. The goaltending staff here is top-notch, and that’s something I kind of looked for and it seemed like a good fit.”

He has worked with Bruins goalie development coach Mike Dunham a lot and had some initial interactions with goalie coach Bob Essensa.

“He was here at development camp this summer and I’ve chatted with him a little bit this week and he’s a really good dude,” said Bischel. “He’s had a few pointers for me, so a lot to learn from him for sure.”

Providence coach Ryan Mougenel said Bischel came highly recommended by a pal of his, former NHLer Keith Primeau.

“He said, ‘You’re going to love this kid. He’s a big-time competitor and he is a fantastic goalie,’ ” Mougenel said. “So I just know there’s a lot of people that speak very highly of, that’s one thing we’ve had is great goalie depth. And I am a big believer you’ve got to have that in the NHL and the American League and the East Coast League. I think those guys are such a valuable part of it.”

Bischel is eager for the weekend and to start playing games after a summer full of training. He counts skating and athleticism as his biggest assets.

“I think I always put myself in a chance to make a save and just try to let pucks hit me and not be too overaggressive,” he said. “But I think my compete level and work ethic is kind of what’s gotten me here.”

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
2024 Rookie Camp
Goaltender
No.NamePositionCatchesHtWtDoBPlaceContractAcquired
85Ryan BischelGLeft6.0119107-05-99MinnesotaAHL-1U 23
60Keegan WarrenGRight6.0217510-06-05NFLDQMJHLInvitee
Defense
No.NamePositionShootsHtWtDoBPlaceContractAcquired
41Jackson EdwardDLeft6.0318802-27-04Ontario27th 22
57Drew BavaroDRight6.0219906-10-00Florida1UFA 24
59Frederic BrunetDLeft6.0319608-21-03Quebec35th 22
76Tomas CibulkaDLeft6.0018604-02-04CzechiaQMJHLInvitee
78Jack BrautiDLeft6.0015605-24-06OntarioOHLInvitee
81Parker Von RichterDRight6.0118905-17-06OntarioOHLInvitee
84Felix PlamondonDLeft6.0116503-18-06QuebecQMJHLInvitee
86Loke JohanssonDLeft6.0321112-14-05SwedenQMJHL6th 24
87Ryan MastDRight6.0521701-14-03Michigan26th 21
Left Wing
61Trevor KuntarLW/CLeft6.0020106-20-01New York13rd 20
65Owen PedersonLW/CLeft6.0419703-27-02AlbertaAHL-1UFA 23
72Brett HarrisonLW/CLeft6.0219106-07-03Ontario23rd 21
96Charlie HiltonLWLeft6.0520409-15-06OntarioOHLInvitee
Center
32John FarinacciCRight5.1119502-14-01New Jersey1UFA 23
56Evan VierlingCLeft6.0017806-20-02OntarioAHL-1UFA 23
62Riley DuranCRight6.0219801-25-02Mass26th 20
82Jaxon NelsonCRight6.0421903-30-00Minnesota1U 24
89Adam MechuraCLeft6.0521301-31-03CzechiaAHL-1UFA 23
92Carlin DezaindeCLeft5.1116612-29-04AlbertaWHLInvitee
97Markus VidicekCLeft5.1017003-21-04QuebecQMJHLInvitee
Right Wing
83Connor HvidstonRWRight6.0216509-11-04SaskWHLInvitee
93Jake SloanC/RWRight6.0321302-13-04Great BritainWHLInvitee
94Lucas RomeoRWRight6.0320703-24-05OntarioQMJHLInvitee

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Keep an eye on Connor Hvidston guys. I think Anaheim made a mistake letting him go...hoping he has a great rookie camp for you guys.
He is one of four to watch for AHL contracts on my list

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad