Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season V - Joe Castiglione announces retirement after 2024 Red Sox season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Starting pitching has been fine, bullpen has been an absolute disaster in the 2nd half. An abomination the likes of which I’ve never seen before. Without looking pretty sure their era as a collective is like 6 in the 2nd half. It was when I checked out at least
Unsurprisingly, Pitching and Defense has been the issue again this season. Same as last season.

They've given up the 3rd most runs in the AL, and lead MLB in errors. They have 20 more errors than the next closest AL Team (Yankees & White Sox).

Offensively, they're a Top 5 club in OPS. The only MLB club in the Top 12 that isn't going to make the playoffs.

Not much has really changed over last season, other than them hanging around in the WC race a little longer. They gotta go 4-7 over their last 11 games to exceed last year's win total.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88 and CDJ

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Starting pitching has been fine, bullpen has been an absolute disaster in the 2nd half. An abomination the likes of which I’ve never seen before. Without looking pretty sure their era as a collective is like 6 in the 2nd half. It was when I checked out at least
We are 30th in the league in fielding, 22 of our 108 errors come from the OF.
20th in pitching and 5th in hitting.
It is very easy to see where we have to improve.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Unsurprisingly, Pitching and Defense has been the issue again this season. Same as last season.

They've given up the 3rd most runs in the AL, and lead MLB in errors. They have 20 more errors than the next closest AL Team (Yankees & White Sox).

Offensively, they're a Top 5 club in OPS. The only MLB club in the Top 12 that isn't going to make the playoffs.

Not much has really changed over last season, other than them hanging around in the WC race a little longer. They gotta go 4-7 over their last 11 games to exceed last year's win total.
Staggering amount of unearned runs, and this also puts a strain on the pitching too

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We are 30th in the league in fielding, 22 of our 108 errors come from the OF.
20th in pitching and 5th in hitting.
It is very easy to see where we have to improve.
Trevor Story's absence was huge and can't be understated. The whole first half of the year before they settled into regular positions in the middle infield was a disaster and punted a few games with unearned runs and extended innings.

But, again, if your whole season's success hinges on the health of a guy who's missed large chunks of the last four years essentially, you get what you deserve.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Kids don't starve. A win is a win.

Screenshot_20240328_235246_Gallery.jpg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Assuming we don't have a miracle push to the playoffs, I'd really like to see Detroit overtake Minnesota for the final WC. Best of three with Skubal and Olson starting the first two? That's going to be fun to watch.

Reactions: smithformeragent

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
A maddening guy to watch but I ask this without doing any research into what relievers are in...is he a hall of famer? Close to it?
Great Question. He's comparable to Kenley Jansen from a stats perspective. If it were me, I'd say NO to both of them.

Billy Wagner hasn't made it yet either, and I think he's got 2 years of eligibility left. He's another close call. I'd say if Wagner doesn't eventually get in, Jansen and Kimbrel don't either.

Frankie Rodriguez isn't getting in. Way to much on/off the field baggage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walkenthewalk

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
My Brewers clinched the NL Central today and won 2 of 3 from Philly with a walk off in the 9th. They lost their manager and their ace (Burnes) over the summer, had Woodruff out all season, didn't have their closer (Williams) back until the end of July, and lost Yelich for the season in July as well. They play in the smallest market in MLB and most non-Brewer fans couldn't name 4 guys on their roster. Yet they are still gonna win 90-95 games this season.

No way they make it to the WS, let alone win it, but they're in and anything can happen....

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My Brewers clinched the NL Central today and won 2 of 3 from Philly with a walk off in the 9th. They lost their manager and their ace (Burnes) over the summer, had Woodruff out all season, didn't have their closer (Williams) back until the end of July, and lost Yelich for the season in July as well. They play in the smallest market in MLB and most non-Brewer fans couldn't name 4 guys on their roster. Yet they are still gonna win 90-95 games this season.

No way they make it to the WS, let alone win it, but they're in and anything can happen....
I'm rooting for them just so 90 year old Bob Uecker can finally see a title

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm rooting for them just so 90 year old Bob Uecker can finally see a title
Me too. I grew up listening to him and Uke is one of the best there ever was, but he's really slowed down a lot this season. He's still pretty good, but this season is the first season where his decline is really noticeable.

BTW, if you've never heard Norm MacDonald tell his Uecker story on the Howard Stern show, you need to check it out. Its funny as shit...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Excellent story.

Of the early Mets teams Kranepool said, "We used to celebrate rainouts". Great line.

Got to see the legendary 1962 Mets in the Polo Grounds (great experience). Saw one of their 40 wins that season. Beat the expansion Houston Colt .45's, 13-2. Only time in his 15-year career Richie Ashburn hit two homers in one game. One was an inside the ballpark job that future Red Sox Roman Mejias misplayed. The other went about 280 feet down the right field line. The legendary Marv Throneberry played 1st base and hit a 2-run triple. Veteran outfielder Frank Thomas shagged flies during batting practice without a glove. Didn't drop a single one.
I wonder if he and Chico Escuala ever settled their differences.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I mean, it's basically what a lot of us were expecting this year, no?
Expectations change when you prove you can be better than that. I'm not just gonna say this is what the dorks projected so we can ignore a 2nd half collapse. A collapse that could have been prevented. The "additions" made at the deadline were atrocious.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Expectations change when you prove you can be better than that. I'm not just gonna say this is what the dorks projected so we can ignore a 2nd half collapse. A collapse that could have been prevented. The "additions" made at the deadline were atrocious.
Yeah, but in all honesty John, I didn't hear a whole lot of folks on this board clamoring for them to make a significant move prior to the deadline. In fact, I specifically asked the question on whether or not they should, and most were advocating making a secondary or tertiary addition if the price was right. And I actually agree with that decision too.

Boston's got 5 high end prospects and it would have cost them 2 to land a guy like Crochet. I specifically asked that question as well, and there weren't a lot of takers.

If they missed the boat at all at the deadline, it was the failure to add a quality arm or 2 in the bullpen. With the trend in how pitchers are being used these days, bullpen is starting to surpass starting pitching as the higher priority for a lot of clubs. You can still win with mid starting pitching if your bullpen is really good. You can't, the other way around.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, but in all honesty John, I didn't hear a whole lot of folks on this board clamoring for them to make a significant move prior to the deadline. In fact, I specifically asked the question on whether or not they should, and most were advocating making a secondary or tertiary addition if the price was right. And I actually agree with that decision too.

Boston's got 5 high end prospects and it would have cost them 2 to land a guy like Crochet. I specifically asked that question as well, and there weren't a lot of takers.

If they missed the boat at all at the deadline, it was the failure to add a quality arm or 2 in the bullpen. With the trend in how pitchers are being used these days, bullpen is starting to surpass starting pitching as the higher priority for a lot of clubs. You can still win with mid starting pitching if your bullpen is really good. You can't, the other way around.
To be honest I don't do a deep dive into who they acquired. I trust that the guys making the call know a lot more about players around the league I have never heard of. So I was willing to see how the moves would impact the team. I think it's fair to retroactively say Breslow got it wrong. It's not the end of the world but there was enough there this year with this team to not have them completely fall apart in 2nd half again and see other middling teams surge or stay afloat. It shouldn't have happened the way it has.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

There's a glut of top prospects in the system, should've used some of that capital to get Skubal at the deadline.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
There's a glut of top prospects in the system, should've used some of that capital to get Skubal at the deadline.
I don't think the Tigers were looking to move Skubal, unless they got a significant overpay. They were in the playoff race, just like Boston was.

You definitely could have had Crochet, though.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad