Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season V - Joe Castiglione announces retirement after 2024 Red Sox season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
On the bright side, Story homered and did not strike out all night!

Yoshida loves The Stadium. Now tied with Duran for team leading BA at .288.

14 more K's for the Sox.

O'Neill, with 3 whiffs, has caught Duran for the team lead with 147. O'Neill has 379 at bats to Duran's 614.

Rafaela up to 142 K's while still holding at 15 walks.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Classic line from Pete Abraham’s Globe column today: “But the Red Sox bullpen has become that uninvited guest who shows up at the party, eats all the food, and falls asleep on your couch.” :popcorn:

Spot on! At least this miserable denouement of the season brings out the wit in our journalists. Like in theater and movies, bad reviews are always more fun to read. About the only fun to be had related these Red Sox:skeptic:

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed, Kelly was also ahead on the count to Verdugo.

But, he was sent down after the game because you cannot be considered a major league pitcher if you come into a game with a 4-run lead and walk the first batter. Let alone the first two batters. Let alone the 8 and 9 hitters.
Send entire bullpen down

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Cora not happy, he says that intentional walk means the hbp in the first AB was on purpose. And I agree with him
Without a doubt

Kids finally get to eat again.
Screenshot_20240328_235246_Gallery.jpg

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
For us old timers here - Dwight Evans is the guest on tonight's " Game Time with Boomer Esiason " show. It's a syndicated show so it will air on a bunch of channels but since I get this channel I know for sure that is on WSBK tonight at midnight.

EDIT: That should read midnight ( Eastern )

EDIT #2: So the airing on WSBK was JIP and only showed about 5 minutes due to the College Football game that aired earlier running long. Fortunately since it's a syndicated show I'm sure that those that are interested can find another channel airing this episode.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
$300 mill and Gerrit Cole still wakes up in the middle of the night from Raffy nightmares

One of the most gutless things I've ever seen a player do during a game. What a loser.
Cole says that the intentional walk gave the momentum to the Red Sox.

from espn.com:

"They grabbed the momentum. It inspired them," Cole said. "I think, looking back, it's the wrong move."

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said he and Cole discussed in the leadup to the game being more aggressive in the use of intentional walks -- Cole hadn't issued one in seven years. Cole said he talked out the possibility with pitching coach Matt Blake while in the tunnel before the fourth inning, viewing it as a way to get the starter deeper into the game on a day when the Yankees' bullpen was thin.

Yankees catcher Austin Wells wasn't made aware of the plan.

"I was a bit caught off guard," he said. "Thought he had some good momentum."

Wells said he didn't think about trying to get Cole to reverse his decision.

"We're just kidding. We don't actually walk him," Wells proposed. "I don't know if that's a thing."

Cole and Boone both took an unusually long time before speaking with reporters after the game.

"Just a rough day," Cole said.

Cole (6-5) gave up seven runs, his most since June 9, 2022. He hit a career-high three batters and left after 4⅓ innings.

Saturday marked the first time a Yankees pitcher intentionally walked a batter with the bases empty and less than two outs since intentional walks became official in 1955, according to ESPN Research.

"He caught me by surprise," Devers said through an interpreter. "I didn't expect that from a future Hall of Famer and I feel like he panicked a little bit."

Cole retired nine of his first 10 batters, allowing his only batter to reach when he hit Devers with a cutter in the first.

"I felt like the first at-bat he hit him on purpose," Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. "He doesn't want to face him. That's the bottom line. He told us with the intentional walk that the first at-bat he hit him."

Full story: 'Wrong move': Cole's IBB of Devers sparks Boston

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Cole says that the intentional walk gave the momentum to the Red Sox.

from espn.com:

"They grabbed the momentum. It inspired them," Cole said. "I think, looking back, it's the wrong move."

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said he and Cole discussed in the leadup to the game being more aggressive in the use of intentional walks -- Cole hadn't issued one in seven years. Cole said he talked out the possibility with pitching coach Matt Blake while in the tunnel before the fourth inning, viewing it as a way to get the starter deeper into the game on a day when the Yankees' bullpen was thin.

Yankees catcher Austin Wells wasn't made aware of the plan.

"I was a bit caught off guard," he said. "Thought he had some good momentum."

Wells said he didn't think about trying to get Cole to reverse his decision.

"We're just kidding. We don't actually walk him," Wells proposed. "I don't know if that's a thing."

Cole and Boone both took an unusually long time before speaking with reporters after the game.

"Just a rough day," Cole said.

Cole (6-5) gave up seven runs, his most since June 9, 2022. He hit a career-high three batters and left after 4⅓ innings.

Saturday marked the first time a Yankees pitcher intentionally walked a batter with the bases empty and less than two outs since intentional walks became official in 1955, according to ESPN Research.

"He caught me by surprise," Devers said through an interpreter. "I didn't expect that from a future Hall of Famer and I feel like he panicked a little bit."

Cole retired nine of his first 10 batters, allowing his only batter to reach when he hit Devers with a cutter in the first.

"I felt like the first at-bat he hit him on purpose," Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. "He doesn't want to face him. That's the bottom line. He told us with the intentional walk that the first at-bat he hit him."

Full story: 'Wrong move': Cole's IBB of Devers sparks Boston

Kermit Cole!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
4.5 back with 12 to play. If the Twins go just over .500 at 7-6 in their remaining 13 games, you have to go 10-2 to catch them.

The year went somewhat better than expected but it's basically over.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For us old timers here - Dwight Evans is the guest on tonight's " Game Time with Boomer Esiason " show. It's a syndicated show so it will air on a bunch of channels but since I get this channel I know for sure that is on WSBK tonight at midnight.

EDIT: That should read midnight ( Eastern )

EDIT #2: So the airing on WSBK was JIP and only showed about 5 minutes due to the College Football game that aired earlier running long. Fortunately since it's a syndicated show I'm sure that those that are interested can find another channel airing this episode.

Dewey was the best RF in Red Sox history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad