Patriots/NFL 2024 Regular Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Bertrand all fired up for no reason. There was never any need for Jerod Mayo to put too much on Maye too early. He looks like he's progressing. Keep ramping him up. I don't need to see Drake Maye week one. Keep adding more and more and make a caution decision on when you think he's ready. I do think we will see very clearly/early that Jacoby Brissett is just not good at football. With that said I prefer to see the OL in action to start the season before I turn things over to Maye. If they simply can't block anything I do not want Maye out there.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I *HOPE* I am wrong but Mayo looks to be overwhelmed right now.

They never should’ve put in his contract that he would be the heir apparent.

He’s not experienced enough to handle a situation like this. He has no chance with this team and is just going to be used as a scapegoat when they inevitably fail.

They should’ve just bought out Mayo and hired an offensive mind who could actually develop Maye. The Mayo/Van Pelt regime is just going to be a waste of 1-2 years of Maye’s rookie contract and development.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
They never should’ve put in his contract that he would be the heir apparent.

He’s not experienced enough to handle a situation like this. He has no chance with this team and is just going to be used as a scapegoat when they inevitably fail.

They should’ve just bought out Mayo and hired an offensive mind who could actually develop Maye. The Mayo/Van Pelt regime is just going to be a waste of 1-2 years of Maye’s rookie contract and development.

Lets look at it from the other side. What offensive minded coach would want to come into this situation? Would the Patriots HC job really been appealing to people?

Offense - maybe the worst in the NFL
Defense - above average
Fan Expectations - High

What coach really wants to come in and be the guy that has to replace one of the all-time greatest coaches? Not only that, but he has to essentially rebuild the entire offense. Its not like there are already 1-2 playmakers here on the offensive side and you can use them to keep building. No, you're build/hoping to find your playmakers this season.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Lets look at it from the other side. What offensive minded coach would want to come into this situation? Would the Patriots HC job really been appealing to people?

Offense - maybe the worst in the NFL
Defense - above average
Fan Expectations - High

What coach really wants to come in and be the guy that has to replace one of the all-time greatest coaches? Not only that, but he has to essentially rebuild the entire offense. Its not like there are already 1-2 playmakers here on the offensive side and you can use them to keep building. No, you're build/hoping to find your playmakers this season.
Come into a situation where you have the most cap space in the league and the #3 overall pick where you can draft a potential franchise QB? If Bob Kraft wasn't cheap I would find that a very enticing HC job! Plus there are only 32 of these jobs. We'll never know though and that's the problem. Kraft didn't even entertain the option of interviewing the best candidates out there. He simply handed things over to a guy who was already on the staff of this sinking ship. And he did the exact same thing at the GM position. Negligence from the owner.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
I know things don't look great right now but to take a crap on Mayo just isn't fair. He's a solid guy, with a reputation of a great leader in the locker room during his playing days, and someone who is probably trying to get up to speed as a head coach. It's not as if BB or the ghosts of Tom Landry/Bill Walsh/Vince Lombardi could do much with this roster as it currently stands. People either need to get on board with these transitional years or jump off the bandwagon that delivered six Super Bowl championships to this fanbase. You have to be willing to live through the rebuild as there is noone in their right mind that could have thought that this team could have been "fixed" by any head coach or in a short (one or two years) period of time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Come into a situation where you have the most cap space in the league and the #3 overall pick where you can draft a potential franchise QB? If Bob Kraft wasn't cheap I would find that a very enticing HC job! Plus there are only 32 of these jobs. We'll never know though and that's the problem. Kraft didn't even entertain the option of interviewing the best candidates out there. He simply handed things over to a guy who was already on the staff of this sinking ship. And he did the exact same thing at the GM position. Negligence from the owner.

You have a garbage o-line, no playmakers and while its great that you have the #3OA pick, that's just one piece of this big puzzle. Not to mention that QB's selected high in the draft don't typically live up to their draft position. A rookie QB isn't going to take this team from dumpster fire to a playoff team. Not with the o-line that's in the place and the lack of weapons to move the ball. Tons of cap space, awesome, except this isn't a destination that players are looking to come to anymore. That was pretty evident when they were throwing stupid money at WR's and those guys still didn't choose the Patriots.

So as an incoming HC....

-I have a #3OA pick that may or may not turnout into a piece to build around, but I won't know that for 2-3 years
-I have a ton of cap space but I'm not a destination that players are seeking out
-My current roster lacks any playmakers on the offensive side of the ball
-The fanbase has expectation of competing for titles
-I'm the guy that replaced one of the franchises & NFL all-time greatest coaches

At best I get the team into a playoff situation by year 3-4 and can buy myself another 1-2 years to see if we can get to the SB. A worst the rebuild is slower than expected and by year 3-4 the team is marginally better and I'm out of a job.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’m choosing to be patient. I think they should’ve hired an offensive minded coach, but I’ll give Mayo & co a chance to grow this program.

Maye looks like he’s improving. I’m predicting a 3-14 season, so another high draft pick next season (hopefully a left tackle). Cap space to add o-line and a #1 WR. I’m here for the rebuild. After 20 years of Brady I’ll give them a few to rebuild. Let’s just pretend the Mac Jones era never happened??

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Get someone to protect Maye. Otherwise he'll spend most of the season running for his life & wasting a year of development.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
You have a garbage o-line, no playmakers and while its great that you have the #3OA pick, that's just one piece of this big puzzle. Not to mention that QB's selected high in the draft don't typically live up to their draft position. A rookie QB isn't going to take this team from dumpster fire to a playoff team. Not with the o-line that's in the place and the lack of weapons to move the ball. Tons of cap space, awesome, except this isn't a destination that players are looking to come to anymore. That was pretty evident when they were throwing stupid money at WR's and those guys still didn't choose the Patriots.

So as an incoming HC....

-I have a #3OA pick that may or may not turnout into a piece to build around, but I won't know that for 2-3 years
-I have a ton of cap space but I'm not a destination that players are seeking out
-My current roster lacks any playmakers on the offensive side of the ball
-The fanbase has expectation of competing for titles
-I'm the guy that replaced one of the franchises & NFL all-time greatest coaches

At best I get the team into a playoff situation by year 3-4 and can buy myself another 1-2 years to see if we can get to the SB. A worst the rebuild is slower than expected and by year 3-4 the team is marginally better and I'm out of a job.
I still think if they had identified someone as a top tier offensive coaching prospect and offered them the chance to be a head coach they could’ve gotten them to come here. I just think it would’ve cost the Kraft’s money so they didn’t want to do it. Some of the best offensive coaches in the league were hired when their teams were in similar situations as the Patriots are now.

Shanahan took the 49ers job coming off them going 2-14 with the 3rd overall pick and Jeremy Kerley (who?) as their #1 WR.

McVay took the Rams job coming off them going 4-12 and they didn’t even have their 1st round pick in the draft for the upcoming year. Kenny Britt was their #1 WR when he was hired.

Even hiring Vrabel and then a younger offensive coach to be OC would’ve been better. Instead we have an inexperienced Mayo and a journeyman in Alex Van Pelt in charge of developing Maye.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Seeing the Jacoby injury. Jesus. Invisible OL

With the #3 overall selection you would think OL would have been a priority in the draft and FA
We probably got the best QB in the draft you don't pass on Maye.

Polk was a reach he was graded 3rd round but noone drafted and D players in the first everyone wanted tackles and WRs so we panicked. As long as him and Wallace are servicable we're OK.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
We probably got the best QB in the draft you don't pass on Maye.

Polk was a reach he was graded 3rd round but noone drafted and D players in the first everyone wanted tackles and WRs so we panicked. As long as him and Wallace are servicable we're OK.

I wasnt saying pass on Maye I was saying they have the 3rd overall selection they need to invest in protecting him instead of scrap heap OLs

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Seeing the Jacoby injury. Jesus. Invisible OL

With the #3 overall selection you would think OL would have been a priority in the draft and FA
Especially since Mac was destroyed for 2 years with that O-line. They should have made the o-line been the #1 priority for Drake.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad