Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season IV - Red Sox swept by the Blue Jays today and are now 29-37 at home.....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Need arms. Plural.

How big a trade can you make to get multiple difference-making pitchers?
That's what has me intrigued this week as the deadline approaches. You got 2 SP that I'd consider true aces: Crochet and Skubal. Both will cost a king's ransom. I don't think the Tigers trade Skubal (I wouldn't) unless someone just blows them away with an offer. Crochet can be had, but you have to have concerns about his ability to hold up through the rest of the season. He had TJ surgery and missed most of the last 2 years and he's never gone over 100 innings prior to this year.

After that, its solid, middle of the rotation and depth guys:
Fedde
Flaherty
Taillon
Montas
Eovaldi (If Texas sells, and I'm not convinced they will)
Eflin
Bassitt
Kikuchi? (I wouldn't trade for him)
Paxton? (Personally, I think Paxton is a stiff)

As a Brewer fan, I got my eye on Fedde. That's a classic 'under the radar' move that Milwaukee's known for.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
i think it would be silly to just buy or just sell

This is not a team you go all-in on at the deadline ala 2023 Bruins. Our best years are still to come. It makes sense to sell off some pieces that won’t be around long anyway while trying to buy on some pieces that have control-some sort of RHH bat, a lefty reliever (like Puk), a SP (like Taillon)
Sure, in theory that works. But who are you going to sell off that you'd be willing to lose AND has some value to another team making a playoff push?

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sure, in theory that works. But who are you going to sell off that you'd be willing to lose AND has some value to another team making a playoff push?
Kenley or Martin. Possibly TON but I think they need his righty bat at the moment (unless they go out and get one with control)

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Kenley or Martin. Possibly TON but I think they need his righty bat at the moment (unless they go out and get one with control)
I could see someone like Philly or St Louis maybe interested in Jansen as a setup guy/late reliever. I think Martin is old and damaged goods. Not sure there's much interest or return for him.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He's 3 saves away from being 3rd all time.

Edit: 4th all time*

Edit for 2nd time: looking at different lists and some sites have differing numbers/stats. Damn baseball.
I wasn't looking at it from Kenley's point of view. I was looking at from the point of view of a contending NL team who'd consider trading for him.

Not a lot of NL playoff contending teams looking to add a closer. Maybe LA?

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I would their big pitcher acquisition to be one under contract who they can get with Nick Yorke. But part of me thinks that's a better deal to do in the offseason.

I was big on getting Turner back but his OPS is worse than Yoshidas now.

Reactions: CDJ

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He's 3 saves away from being 3rd all time.

Edit: 4th all time*

Edit for 2nd time: looking at different lists and some sites have differing numbers/stats. Damn baseball.
LOL, I just checked Baseball Reference and when I saw that Frankie Rodriguez was 6th all time, I almost fell out of my chair. I forgot how unhittable that guy was early in his career. 62 saves in 2008.

He got passed around like a hot potato in the back half of his career but he had a couple of good years in Milwaukee. Never would have guessed he was 6th though.

Probably a Hall of Famer if not for his on/off-field issues....

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
i think it would be silly to just buy or just sell

This is not a team you go all-in on at the deadline ala 2023 Bruins. Our best years are still to come. It makes sense to sell off some pieces that won’t be around long anyway while trying to buy on some pieces that have control-some sort of RHH bat, a lefty reliever (like Puk), a SP (like Taillon)
My criticism is more about consistency. Breslow has been banging the drum loudly that they need to pick a lane — sell or buy. Perhaps it was the execution, but it certainly didn't work in the last two seasons. I also don't think the Sox should go all-in. That means trading away the likes of the big 3. That's foolish, unless they can acquire a legit top-of-the-rotation starter with term. I don't see it happening. The needs are obvious: right-handed hitter (Turner makes too much sense), starter (Taillon, Paxton or Kikuchi, the latter being the least desireable) and a reliever or two.

Reactions: CDJ

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
LOL, I just checked Baseball Reference and when I saw that Frankie Rodriguez was 6th all time, I almost fell out of my chair. I forgot how unhittable that guy was early in his career. 62 saves in 2008.

He got passed around like a hot potato in the back half of his career but he had a couple of good years in Milwaukee. Never would have guessed he was 6th though.

Probably a Hall of Famer if not for his off-field issues....
Ha, I (for just for shits) asked meta ai to see it's answer and unless I'm missing the boat on something, it straight up lies.

1000007640.jpg

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
The umpire got an obvious strike call wrong and you are blaming the catcher?
Yes. Understand, I think the umpire missed the call as well but that framing job was ridiculously bad. Whether we like it or not, oftentimes, a poor framing job creates more of an opportunity for the umpire to second guess the call. As I said, if the catcher just "stuck it" then there would be a better chance to get the strike call, instead it is so poorly done it looks as though he's trying to "get a strike". Bad call? Yes. Poor catcher work? Yes. There can be both.

Also, I am one of those people that don't think one pitch dictates the W or the L, there's nine innings of second guessing that could go on.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As with just about everyone on the roster, it depends on what another team wants to offer.
Exactly. They’re not just gonna give Pivetta away to do it but I can bet a bunch of analytically-inclined teams love him and would give up something of note for him that would be around to help us when we are truly contending for the WS

Reactions: Carl Hungus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad