Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season 3 - Affter 81 games the Sox are 43-38

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
honestly I’m not sure what the Sox could do if their priority is to continue getting the young guys playing time- maybe acquire one more starting pitcher? I think that’s the play. They’re pretty deep when Casas and Abreu return soon

Righty heavy rotation, my choice would be Trevor Rogers. Although on 2nd thought just checking his page his velo is down a couple ticks so maybe do not go there. Let’s go Braxton Garrett instead

Last edited:
Reactions: Mione134

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
In their latest MLB Mock Draft ESPN has the Red Sox taking a College 2B at #12 and a College CF at #50

12. Boston Red Sox

Christian Moore, 2B, Tennessee

There's been a lot of heat for Moore coming off the board with this pick during his rise throughout the end of the regular season into the college postseason. Boston seems to be in a similar spot to Detroit, hoping to grab one of the top 10 talents who happen to fall out of the top 10 picks, with a bias toward hitters with some power. Moore and Kurtz both fit that focus on hitters with power.

I think Boston is the floor for Griffin or Rainer should they fall. Trey Yesavage, Malcolm Moore and Tommy White are in consideration, but more outside looking in. Keep an eye on College of Charleston 1B Cole Mathis at Boston's second pick.

50. Boston Red Sox: Jared Thomas, CF, Texas

Full mock draft: 2024 MLB mock draft 2.0: Who is surging up draft boards at the Men's College World Series?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

This is the cutest thing I've ever seen and as soon as I saw it I went to StubHub and looked up that game and the lowest tickets with fees are about $140-150 each for upper upper deck. The game before and after are about $35.

I still might if I can talk someone into going with me

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Mazz today was saying that Cora is trying to win out of spite lol. I can see that. Just to put management in a precarious position.
I'm normally working during the day, so I don't have much of a chance to listen, but I had yesterday off and had to pick up my daughter, who spent the day at my mother-in-law's pool. I had 98.5 on the radio, and in the 25-minute round trip, I heard them talk about how Jaylen Brown would eventually ruin a potential Celtics dynasty by refusing to play 2nd fiddle to Tatum before switching gears to talk about how Red Sox ownership would eventually trade away all of their pending free agents before the trade deadline, no matter close to a playoff spot they were.

This is sports radio these days. If you can't be outraged at the product on the field, manufacture outrage by generating controversies about stuff that might happen.

*End Old Man Rant*

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm normally working during the day, so I don't have much of a chance to listen, but I had yesterday off and had to pick up my daughter, who spent the day at my mother-in-law's pool. I had 98.5 on the radio, and in the 25-minute round trip, I heard them talk about how Jaylen Brown would eventually ruin a potential Celtics dynasty by refusing to play 2nd fiddle to Tatum before switching gears to talk about how Red Sox ownership would eventually trade away all of their pending free agents before the trade deadline, no matter close to a playoff spot they were.

This is sports radio these days. If you can't be outraged at the product on the field, manufacture outrage by generating controversies about stuff that might happen.

*End Old Man Rant*
I was listening to the baseball show he does.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
How does someone "win out of spite", exactly? What does that look like?

Pretty simple actually. Your owner did nothing to make the team better, despite saying he would. He's been doing nothing for 4 years. He's openly talked about not improving the team. He has other areas he gives a shit about. Partnering with Pittsburgh. Soccer. And now golf. He doesn't care about the Red Sox. Only cares about tourists and the "Fenway experience ". He doesn't expect the Sox to compete this year, nor will he help them.

So, you win despite your owner being a piece of shit and you lacking top end talent. This is a scrappy team now.

• Love
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Pretty simple actually. Your owner did nothing to make the team better, despite saying he would. He's been doing nothing for 4 years. He's openly talked about not improving the team. He has other areas he gives a shit about. Partnering with Pittsburgh. Soccer. And now golf. He doesn't care about the Red Sox. Only cares about tourists and the "Fenway experience ". He doesn't expect the Sox to compete this year, nor will he help them.

So, you win despite your owner being a piece of shit and you lacking top end talent. This is a scrappy team now.

Was Cora not trying to win before? Would he not be trying to win if not for spite?

I actually thought last night during the post-game Cora looked more engaged and energetic than he had in years. Didn't seem like spite to me. Seemed like a guy who was more invested than maybe he has been.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Was Cora not trying to win before? Would he not be trying to win if not for spite?

I actually thought last night during the post-game Cora looked more engaged and energetic than he had in years. Didn't seem like spite to me. Seemed like a guy who was more invested than maybe he has been.

Agreed

If they are not going to sign big names long term. I bet this team is more fun to coach than 2022 or 2023's mercenaries.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
honestly I’m not sure what the Sox could do if their priority is to continue getting the young guys playing time- maybe acquire one more starting pitcher? I think that’s the play. They’re pretty deep when Casas and Abreu return soon

Righty heavy rotation, my choice would be Trevor Rogers. Although on 2nd thought just checking his page his velo is down a couple ticks so maybe do not go there. Let’s go Braxton Garrett instead
Yes - they should get pitching

This team is set up to rake and steal literally 1-2 games a month with speed

I’m F’n done with trading Nick Pivettassssss for prospects - they got all positions covered going forward already or with projected plus players

Time to buy pitching not sell it

Get arms arms arms

They could actually get a WC and get in and with their speed win close games

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
They're definitely in the WC hunt. As a neutral, I didn't expect them to be in this position by July 1, so Sox fans should be more than happy with how they've played.

That said, if you are the GM, do you add at the deadline, stand pat, or sell?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I think last year Cora was definitely resigned to everything. From all the reports, it was a mess bts.

Cora has been mum on his future here. But I can 100% say he's been engaged this year, players too. They know the deal. They know Henry is a putz. They're playing hard. Cora is determined to get into the playoffs despite everything. I love that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I mean, it helps that the pitching has kept them in it and while the offense is still lacking it has some really exciting players. Outside of one or two guys they also seem like a good group.

And there is still Bobby Dalbec for comic relief.

Though he has been a good late inning defensive replacement,

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean, it helps that the pitching has kept them in it and while the offense is still lacking it has some really exciting players. Outside of one or two guys they also seem like a good group.
They’re getting the most production in the league out of rookies, bodes well considering none of the major prospects have graduated to the bigs yet

Reactions: EverettMike

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They're definitely in the WC hunt. As a neutral, I didn't expect them to be in this position by July 1, so Sox fans should be more than happy with how they've played.

That said, if you are the GM, do you add at the deadline, stand pat, or sell?
They're probably going to trade Pivetta and quietly dump the news during the Celtics parade

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sure, but that wasn't the question.

The question was: What would YOU do if you were GM? Buy, Sell or Stand Pat?
I'd stand pat, or more accurately make some lateral moves for guys with term to optimize the roster over the next few years.

This team is plucky enough and close enough that I don't want to sell (and they don't really have a lot for assets of expiring contracts. Really Pivetta and Kenley are all you'd get anything for), but they're nowhere near contenders yet that I'd trade the future for anything major right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad