Prospect Info: 2nd Round Pick #57 Kings Draft: Carter George, G

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kings Draft: Carter George, Owen Sound OHL G

Height: 6-foot-1 Weight: 182 pounds

From Hockey Writers: While not the prototypical size for a goaltender in the NHL, Carter George has proven that size is not everything when it comes to being a goalie in today’s game. While playing on an Owen Sound Attack team that has underperformed this season, George has stolen wins for his team, having had numerous games of 40 or more saves, including a 50-save shutout against the Barrie Colts on Nov. 23, 2023. He has been one of the Ontario Hockey League’s (OHL) best goaltenders in his first full season of junior hockey after a strong showing in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup with Team Canada. He was also a standout at this year’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects game.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Thanks that’s my knowledge on him increased, added to what I read on hockey writers. To be fair it’s a useful write up. Tracking, positioning and good seals are incredibly important and more so with lack of size because it can make up for it to some degree.

Edit: Just watched the video. I agree with the scouts, his tracking is exceptional. His stance is nicely balanced and he is strong both sides when covering the lower part of the net. His lateral movement is very good. Traffic doesn’t seem to bother him which is just as well as he was seeing a lot of it. At least 1 he’d want back, maybe 2 but he saw 50+ shots and made several ridiculous saves. A slight issue with stick position on 5 hole just as he sets, but that’s fixable. Glove hand is good, nice and high. I like to see it slightly more open but it’s not really a concern. That’s based on one video, I don’t have time to do more.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
between him and Hampton, I think we've set ourselves up goaltending wise. Both are going to take several years before they see AHL ice.

One thing that I've seen people say about him is how good he is at handling the puck, would be quite the contrast seeing a goalie handle the puck with ease versus someone like Quick who handled it like a grenade.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
between him and Hampton, I think we've set ourselves up goaltending wise. Both are going to take several years before they see AHL ice.

One thing that I've seen people say about him is how good he is at handling the puck, would be quite the contrast seeing a goalie handle the puck with ease versus someone like Quick who handled it like a grenade.
Yeah he looked good handling it. He came out into traffic on one play, I think he misjudged it, but he was calm and did a kind of fake and moved the puck nicely.

I like what I saw but what I’m rubbish at is predicting the trajectory of a goaltender’s development. Not a clue.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pretty spicy pick to be using on him BUT I since Gibson I have liked this regime’s goalie picks

As usual what they do after is often sketchy but at the time they’ve all looked good so I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt that this wasn’t just a freak out pick on losing a bunch of talent right in front of them

Villalta had a lot of potential but was in his own head here
Ingham great but injuries
Hrenak good soldier
Hammer is of course amazing
Parik had an immense ceiling and was misused here but is also looking like a bit of a goofball
Forget the dude who had domestic violence issues and went home but same as above

Might be missing one or two but the point is they typically seem to get good value out of their goalie picks relative to position…this one is a relatively high value pick so I’m hoping they nail it.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah he looked good handling it. He came out into traffic on one play, I think he misjudged it, but he was calm and did a kind of fake and moved the puck nicely.

I like what I saw but what I’m rubbish at is predicting the trajectory of a goaltender’s development. Not a clue.

Yep goalies are voodoo

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Yep goalies are voodoo
Just came to say the same thing. I think as long as a team grabs a goalie every couple of years that is projected to do well, one of them has to hit. All these goalies are at least five years away, so it will be quite a bit of time to know what we have.

This draft was deep, but not deep with high and skill, so it was probably a good draft to take a gamble like this

Considering with our third round pick in this year‘s draft, we basically took Eric Portillo

Nothing wrong with having lots of goalies in the pipeline as long as there are spread a few years apart from one another

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
idk why, but it makes me feel better about this pick knowing they identified him prior to the draft and that's a big reason why they made the Mtl trade back. It seems like it was down to two "smaller" goalies -- George and probably Gardener who went at 60. They were not interested in the 3-5 "bigger" goalies that were round 2-3 guys.

Hopefully they got this one right. Hitting on two goalies who are 18-19 years old would be great in 4-6+ years for the next GM.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I used to goalie coach at an academy in Winnipeg. In early 2022 two goalies from Thunder Bay came in for a week to train with us, they were both trying to make it to the OHL. One of them was Carter George. Normally the more sr coaches (this was just a part time gig for me) work with the top prospects but I filled in for a session with them.

A lot of these kids that come in looking to make major jr have dogshit attitudes. Not Carter... great dude, humble, hard worker. Talked to his parents a bit, seems like a nice family. Funny enough he's a Kings fan and wears 32 for Quick.

Anyway that's it for my cool story bro moment. Super happy for him and the Kings

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I used to goalie coach at an academy in Winnipeg. In early 2022 two goalies from Thunder Bay came in for a week to train with us, they were both trying to make it to the OHL. One of them was Carter George. Normally the more sr coaches (this was just a part time gig for me) work with the top prospects but I filled in for a session with them.

A lot of these kids that come in looking to make major jr have dogshit attitudes. Not Carter... great dude, humble, hard worker. Talked to his parents a bit, seems like a nice family. Funny enough he's a Kings fan and wears 32 for Quick.

Anyway that's it for my cool story bro moment. Super happy for him and the Kings
That's awesome bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2