Jan 24, 2022

Attachments

• IMG_0095.png
    IMG_0095.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 1

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
no AA Game tomorrow due to weather in Manchester last night forcing the suspended gm which the Fisher Cats win 3-2; unknown if NH/POR will make up the regularly scheduled gm tonight;

speaking of Criswell, Worcester shutout Syracuse 4-0

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
new addition to the bullpen as Detroit sends Trey Wingenten to Sox for pitcher CJ Wiens currently in Salem; no move announced yet as to when Wingenten will be added to the roster

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Anybody following what Jose Miranda is doing with the Twins?

He's hit safely in 12 consecutive at bats. Just tied the MLB record.

That’s crazy.

Wonder how much his average jumped in that span?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
The MLB Draft is a week from today, so I've been looking at Mock Drafts.

Quick philosophical question... is there ever a scenario where you pass up a superior talent due to need? And I ask this because I keep seeing mocks where the Sox pass on Wake Forest 1B Nick Kurtz, and I can only assume analysts are doing this because in a lot of ways, Kurtz is Triston Casas 2.0. They're both tall, left-handed power hitters who are both limited athletically and locked into playing 1B for at least the near future.

So, if pick #12 rolls around, and Nick Kurtz is the highest-rated player on your board, do you take him knowing that if he works out, you're probably going to have to make some sort of trade down the line? Or do you take a slightly lesser player at an area of greater organizational need?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Quick philosophical question... is there ever a scenario where you pass up a superior talent due to need? And I ask this because I keep seeing mocks where the Sox pass on Wake Forest 1B Nick Kurtz, and I can only assume analysts are doing this because in a lot of ways, Kurtz is Triston Casas 2.0. They're both tall, left-handed power hitters who are both limited athletically and locked into playing 1B for at least the near future.

So, if pick #12 rolls around, and Nick Kurtz is the highest-rated player on your board, do you take him knowing that if he works out, you're probably going to have to make some sort of trade down the line? Or do you take a slightly lesser player at an area of greater organizational need?
I’m picking Kurtz, I think he’s the best bat available and worst case scenario you cash in on him or Casas down the road in a trade (or just DH one)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Baseball picks are too far away from contributing and too unpredictable to base a draft pick on todays need.

With so many picks and players in the system, todays perceived need could be next spring’s strength if they pick up a guy at the deadline and one or two guys already in the system progresses faster or further than expected.

Plus, there’s always free agency.

I’m always for the BPA, provided there is enough of a gap between him and the guy who fills a need.

Now, just for easy numbers/discussion…If the BPA rates as a 7 and the next guy is what your system “needs” at the moment, and rates as a 6.75….then I have no problem taking him.

Reactions: SPV

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Baseball picks are too far away from contributing and too unpredictable to base a draft pick on todays need.

With so many picks and players in the system, todays perceived need could be next spring’s strength if they pick up a guy at the deadline and one or two guys already in the system progresses faster or further than expected.

Plus, there’s always free agency.

I’m always for the BPA, provided there is enough of a gap between him and the guy who fills a need.

Now, just for easy numbers/discussion…If the BPA rates as a 7 and the next guy is what your system “needs” at the moment, and rates as a 6.75….then I have no problem taking him.

That is somewhat but not entirely true. We have seen in recent years college players jumping right in and having an impact in then majors. Skenes is a legit Ace already, and there are least a couple other players from the 2023 draft who are already fulltime major leaguers.

Top college players are closer to the majors now than before . A guy like Kurtz is likely pushing for a spot by the end of 25/early 26

I'm not sure on Kurtz, it is kind of a who else is there situation. There are others like Moore Tibbs, Smith,. It seems like a very good draft for college hitters

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
1.5 inning in…

Hamilton screwed in strike 3/ball 4

Wong called out on appeal while stealing and after 6 replays and I didn’t see a definitive one that proved he was out.

Anyone else?

It was real close…but I thought he was in by a finger tip.

Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
1.5 inning in…

Wong called out on appeal while stealing and after 6 replays and I didn’t see a definitive one that proved he was out.

Anyone else?

A very clear slant to this game, even in the commentary booth

Also the Yankees grounds crew f***ing with the basepaths by water logging them because they can’t throw a guy out almost lead to a Wong injury

Just a scumbag org through and through

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A very clear slant to this game, even in the commentary booth

Also the Yankees grounds crew f***ing with the basepaths by water logging them because they can’t throw a guy out almost lead to a Wong injury

Just a scumbag org through and through

Didn’t even think of that.

I hope they steal 8 more tonight.

Reactions: CDJ

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
1.5 inning in…

Anyone else?

The last angle they showed before the final call i thought looked pretty clearly out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad