GDT: 2024 Prospects Challenge, 9/13-16 at Harborcenter (BUF, BOS, CBJ, NJ, OTT, PIT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wish Neuchev was 3 inches taller and 20lbs heavier. I really like his game. I saw a few times where his instincts were spot on and he went or put the puck where it needs to be. I worry that he might not be able to weather the physicality of the NHL game. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, when it clicked for him mid-way through last year, his game took off. I am curious if he's going to ride on that line with Kulich and Rosen because he does have the talent to compliment those two.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don’t mean to rain on the Kulich parade. But this is what we should expect from him in a tourney like this. He’s playing against prospects after two very good years in AHL and with his linemate of two years (Rosen) with him. A level of well established chemistry you rarely see in a tourney like this.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I wish Neuchev was 3 inches taller and 20lbs heavier. I really like his game. I saw a few times where his instincts were spot on and he went or put the puck where it needs to be. I worry that he might not be able to weather the physicality of the NHL game. Fingers crossed.
Since the Sabres already had a first round grade on him, he probably would have been in their top 5 if he were 6'3 190.

He has some special movement nuance that hints at legitimate ceiling. Whoever scouted him has a sharp eye.
I don’t mean to rain on the Kulich parade. But this is what we should expect from him in a tourney like this. He’s playing against prospects after two very good years in AHL and with his linemate of two years (Rosen) with him. A level of well established chemistry you rarely see in a tourney like this.
The chemistry is nice, but that's not what the parade is about for me.

He showed a level of doggedness on the puck that comes solely from individual intent. It's a good indication that the message about imposing his will on the opponent from Appert, Prospal, Adams, and Co. may finally be seeping into his game. It's what could separate him from being Vic 2.0 to low-carb Pasta.

And the finishing is deserving of a float. It's world class if gets to his spots, no matter the quality of opponent. I think he'd score 25 easily if he hypothetically played line 1 and PP1 82 games for us this year.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Since the Sabres already had a first round grade on him, he probably would have been in their top 5 if he were 6'3 190.

He has some special movement nuance that hints at legitimate ceiling. Whoever scouted him has a sharp eye.

The chemistry is nice, but that's not what the parade is about for me.

He showed a level of doggedness on the puck that comes solely from individual intent. It's a good indication that the message about imposing his will on the opponent from Appert, Prospal, Adams, and Co. may finally be seeping into his game. It's what could separate him from being Vic 2.0 to low-carb Pasta.

And the finishing is deserving of a float. It's world class if gets to his spots, no matter the quality of opponent. I think he'd score 25 easily if he hypothetically played line 1 and PP1 82 games for us this year.
He is absolutely nothing like Pasta, i don´t see it. Pasta was elite playmaker in his draft year, who added his goalscoring much later. He reminds me of Vrana if he wasn´t lazy brat.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He is absolutely nothing like Pasta, i don´t see it. Pasta was elite playmaker in his draft year, who added his goalscoring much later. He reminds me of Vrana if he wasn´t lazy brat.
I've seen you point this out before. Wasn't looking to get into the fine details of Czech comps, I just couldn't resist the awful "low-carb" pun 😔 And mainly wanted to differentiate between an ineffectual player and a real well-rounded NHL forward.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Hey guys, I keep looking for a rundown about how the guys looked. I'm just overwhelmed with work/kids/band this weekend and won't get to watch so much as a minute. Would love to know how the youngsters look. Particularly Helenius, Whalberg, Ostlund, Komorov and Novikov.
Thanks

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Hey guys, I keep looking for a rundown about how the guys looked. I'm just overwhelmed with work/kids/band this weekend and won't get to watch so much as a minute. Would love to know how the youngsters look. Particularly Helenius, Whalberg, Ostlund, Komorov and Novikov.
Thanks
I didn't see it on YT last night but I'm hoping it pops up today before I get too bogged down

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Absolutely. But everyone has set the bar high for this kid, including the coaching staff, and his first outing he has met that expectation.

Ostlund was out there as well from the same draft year, but picked 12 spots earlier. So if I were to compare the two with similar draft profiles (2022/first round) but different development paths, Ostlund is in a different place in his development, and the window is not open for him to take an NHL spot I don't believe. Bar is also set lower from the organization - they expect him to need at least a year of pro, and I would even argue, want Helenius there right next to him on a line.

So I think people can be excited and the performance warrants praise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks

Some brief thoughts off last night's contest -

Helenius - "raw" was @old kummelweck 's term and that is apt. He looked like someone who is going to need time to adjust to the different ice size. Made some interesting passing choices, though may need to be drilled to shoot more. (It's still early.)
Wahlberg - had a nice backchecking moment followed by a dangerous rush, seemed the most settled of the three on that line to me.
Ostlund - played LW with Helenius at C and Wahlberg on RW, set up in his "spot" on the RW circle on the PP but didn't get his shot off cleanly off a nice cross-seam pass from Helenius. I was more interested that they have him on the wing.
Komarov - took a hit early but was good in transition and had a sequence where he did a quick give-and-go to wind up taking the return pass at the dot for a chance
Novikov - rambunctious would be the word that came to mind. C'bus tried to open physically and Novikov was one of the guys who seemed most interested in pushing back on that.

*Note to readers: nothing in here is overt criticism or an indication that the player is floundering or doomed or perhaps even already a broken husk of unrequited potential failing to manifest. It's just some observations on last night's prospect game.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Some honorable mentions:

Nadeau - He wants an AHL spot and looked ready for camp.
Ratzlaf - not sure where he slots in the org depth, but I love where he is from a development standpoint
Kozak - I think we are going to see the 2022/23 version and not the 23/24 version. Could be back in the discussion for a bottom-6 call-up by mid-season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some honorable mentions:

Nadeau - He wants an AHL spot and looked ready for camp.
Ratzlaf - not sure where he slots in the org depth, but I love where he is from a development standpoint
Kozak - I think we are going to see the 2022/23 version and not the 23/24 version. Could be back in the discussion for a bottom-6 call-up by mid-season.

Yeah, Nadeau on PP1 here is a likely indication of him being in the mix in Rochester. He did well in Jax, and with them not bringing Mersch back they need more net front than just Murray in Rochester.

I hope Kozak is able to stay healthy. That seems like the biggest hurdle.

As for Ratzlaff, he's on the radar for the Canadian U20 team. Slow cooking for sure like every goalie, but I love how he battles for everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad