Prospect Info: 2024 prospect tournament in LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Literally came in to say Cagnoni looked like Boyle out there. I hope he gets some time with Boyle in general during camp because I think he’s exactly the guy he should emulate — both in play and with the chip on the shoulder.

What I really liked about Cagnoni is he was really confident - he’s really skilled but he made sharp, confident, quick decisions with the puck and looked like an NHL PP quarterback out there. If he was 5 inches taller he’d be a star. I predict he’s going to be on the Cuda this year for sure.

Mack seemed a little nervous to me at first but then calmed down and looked great. He’s fast and powerful out there and just never stops moving, I don’t know that I’ve seen players of his skill level be so active all the time, everywhere. It’s like a high end energy 3rd liner wished for skill on a monkey paw, it’s really fun to watch. It also just feels like Grier made him in a lab (HE WILL NEVER STOP WORKING HARD, HE GOES TO THE GYM AFTER THE GAME, HIS FATHER IS A TRAINER, it’s alive, it’s aliiiiiive!!!)

I have always wanted a player like Smith on the Sharks and I’m so excited to see him keep growing. The best thing that could’ve happened to Smith is that the Sharks got Celebrini — it allows him to play his game with far less pressure on his shoulders. He’s so fun to watch.

After the prospects scrimmage, I was a little unsure why Dickinson was so highly thought of but I saw it tonight. His skating is fantastic, and he’s controlled and smart. I think he needs more development but he has so so so many tools.

I liked Laroque too. I hope he stays healthy and finds his game, he’s an interesting player.

Musty was okay, he does look faster to me.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Not much to add to the good summaries y'all have put forth, just a few additions:
  • Smith and Mack looked pretty good in the dots.
  • One signal of the 2-way elite hockey sense Mack has is how often he's just perfectly on time to cause a turnover, pick up a puck off the boards or on the breakout, or breaking behind a defender. I was also super impressed with a few super needle-thready passes in transition. I think he's still gripping his stick a bit but the goal will help and more games under the belt should help. It's why I also think (as many have said) he should be sheltered on the 2nd line. He's still 18 - needs to learn how to shoulder pressure and intensity without getting gripped, helps not to have to be "the" guy.
  • PP with Musty, Luca, Smith, Celebrini, Graf was hella fun to watch.
  • Drew said it - Sharks were very quick to go north-south and made it hard on UT. Very fun, very fast, very skilled.
  • Man, it was good to watch a game where the team in teal dominated chances and possession. First time in 5 years.
  • Agreed re: Musty leaving a bit to be desired. Felt a bit like watching Timo out there -- some flashes and great chances, but also some times where you're like "how are you not using your frame more" or "how are you behind the play right now, come on man, keep up." Especially a few bad decisions on possession in the D zone and failing to make the right play to give ourselves a chance at a breakout, leading to more board battling or turnovers.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
We could really use a Maveric Lamoureux in our system. Too bad we drafted Bystedt two picks ahead of him.
I think looking back on the 2022 draft, we'll think "good trade, wrong picks". Although hindsight is 20/20, I will say that my draft day picks would have been Kulich/Firkus/Casey. With hindsight, Lamoureux/Luneau/Hutson look like the right picks.

Reactions: Patty Ice and Hodge

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Not much to add to the good summaries y'all have put forth, just a few additions:
  • Smith and Mack looked pretty good in the dots.
  • One signal of the 2-way elite hockey sense Mack has is how often he's just perfectly on time to cause a turnover, pick up a puck off the boards or on the breakout, or breaking behind a defender. I was also super impressed with a few super needle-thready passes in transition. I think he's still gripping his stick a bit but the goal will help and more games under the belt should help. It's why I also think (as many have said) he should be sheltered on the 2nd line. He's still 18 - needs to learn how to shoulder pressure and intensity without getting gripped, helps not to have to be "the" guy.
  • PP with Musty, Luca, Smith, Celebrini, Graf was hella fun to watch.
  • Drew said it - Sharks were very quick to go north-south and made it hard on UT. Very fun, very fast, very skilled.
  • Man, it was good to watch a game where the team in teal dominated chances and possession. First time in 5 years.
  • Agreed re: Musty leaving a bit to be desired. Felt a bit like watching Timo out there -- some flashes and great chances, but also some times where you're like "how are you not using your frame more" or "how are you behind the play right now, come on man, keep up." Especially a few bad decisions on possession in the D zone and failing to make the right play to give ourselves a chance at a breakout, leading to more board battling or turnovers.
It's worth remembering Timo and his somewhat slow adjustment to the NHL when thinking of Musty (not to mention Timo had a stronger pedigree). These kinds of guys tend to need extra time to figure these things out once dealing with the grown--and skilled--men of the NHL. I'm all aboard the Musty train, but even so I feel like there are going to be a few years here of keeping enthusiasm in check while he figures things out. But I still love so much about him, even with a more lukewarm performance this afternoon.

(The same goes for Halttunen, although he's even more boom/bust and has more to figure out--though we're still talking about a kid who just turned 19 this summer, so I'm okay seeing baby steps from him at this point instead of massive jumps.)

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
If he was 5 inches taller he’d be a star

He is going to be a star regardless IMO.

I didn't get a chance to catch the game but I'm glad everybody got to see just how awesome this kid can play and I'm super stoked they had him playing RD because that is what I've been envisioning for him as his pathway to the Sharks. He has a lot of elements to his game but most of all intelligence and confidence which is why I think he'll succeed wherever you put him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wish the stream was a little better on what we could see but it was fun seeing them play and it's getting me excited for the season. I know they won't be good but Celebrini and Eklund will make it fun for me to watch. I hope Cagnoni continues to impress. I'd love for him to make the team. He'd actually be a good answer to the PP if he did. Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli with Cagnoni and Smith on the points would be pretty ideal.

SacLandshark

Dec 27, 2010
where does one find these streams - every year they say that 'video will be streamed from our website' - I go to the website and click on absolutely everything and can't ever find it.

Is the stream still up? Where?

and in the future, where do you find a link?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
where does one find these streams - every year they say that 'video will be streamed from our website' - I go to the website and click on absolutely everything and can't ever find it.

Is the stream still up? Where?

and in the future, where do you find a link?
On the front page

• Wow
Reactions: Trow

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Luca got a lot of praise from Drew, but he also did get crunched a fair few times and I still think he's nowhere near ready for NHL. However, I do feel like he's got a solid shot to make the Cuda.

He got crunched - and he’s gonna get crunched in the NHL - but he jumped back up and kept going and I think that’s key.

I do agree he’s not NHL ready though. Let me him survive and thrive in the AHL.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He got crunched - and he’s gonna get crunched in the NHL - but he jumped back up and kept going and I think that’s key.

I do agree he’s not NHL ready though. Let me him survive and thrive in the AHL.
Cagnoni should definitely go back to junior. There’s no room for him on the Barracuda. Which of Mukhamadullin, Thompson, Carlsson, Schuldt, Laroque, Pulli or Guryev does he deserve to play over? Even Hache and Frisch are probably better defensemen right now than Cagnoni. I haven’t even mentioned Furlong.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Cagnoni should definitely go back to junior. There’s no room for him on the Barracuda. Which of Mukhamadullin, Thompson, Carlsson, Schuldt, Laroque, Pulli or Guryev does he deserve to play over? Even Hache and Frisch are probably better defensemen right now than Cagnoni. I haven’t even mentioned Furlong.

If he can play at camp the way he started his prospect tournament I think he can beat out one of those guys for the AHL (I’d also be willing to bet that Muhk is on the NHL roster to start the season unless he’s injured).

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If he can play at camp the way he started his prospect tournament I think he can beat out one of those guys for the AHL (I’d also be willing to bet that Muhk is on the NHL roster to start the season unless he’s injured).
If he beats out one of those guys and Mukhamadullin is on the NHL roster then Cagnoni would still be a bottom pairing defenseman without a path to PP time unless Carlsson or Thompson gets hurt. Even that is assuming Furlong gets sent back to the Q for his overage year and Cagnoni is able to earn a spot ahead of Hache, Frisch and other guys on AHL contracts. Wouldn't he be much better off as Portland's undisputed #1 D? He's only 19.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Trow

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
If he beats out one of those guys and Mukhamadullin is on the NHL roster then Cagnoni would still be a bottom pairing defenseman without a path to PP time unless Carlsson or Thompson gets hurt. Even that is assuming Furlong gets sent back to the Q for his overage year and Cagnoni is able to earn a spot ahead of Hache, Frisch and other guys on AHL contracts. Wouldn't he be much better off as Portland's undisputed #1 D? He's only 19.
It's a tough call; I can see the merits of either decision. Training camp will probably be pretty telling for management in terms of what will be better for Cagnoni, and at this point, honestly, I feel good enough about the way they've been operating with the team's young talent that I'll feel comfortable with whatever decision they make.

Even though Cagnoni is still young, the things he needs to most learn (and learn to deal with) are likely to come once playing against men. If they deem him to be strong enough (both physically and emotionally) to deal with that for a full season, then why not go for it? And the numbers can work themselves out; a number of those guys aren't potentially-meaningful prospects in the way Cagnoni is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad