2024 Prospect Poll #1

Who is the Jets #1 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am kind of schocked by the vote actually...Brad Lambert puts up 26 points in 17 games in the WHL playoffs, on a championship team, at same age. Mc Groarty put up 8 more points in the WJC last year, and +11 differential between him and Salomonsson. Salomonsson SEL stats aren't that different from Simon Lundmark's, there has to be something here that I don't see.
Salomonsson was a top pair RD on the best Swedish pro team at 19, and he was terrific all around. His team really didn't get much offense at EV from their D.

He got no PP time but his EV points rate was among the highest among D on his team, and higher than the highly-touted Sandin-Pellika.

Lundmark had 3 assists as a 19 year old in 40 SHL games, so Salomonsson produced at 4 times the rate.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Salomonsson was a top pair RD on the best Swedish pro team at 19, and he was terrific all around. His team really didn't get much offense at EV from their D.

He got no PP time but his EV points rate was among the highest among D on his team, and higher than the highly-touted Sandin-Pellika.

Lundmark had 3 assists as a 19 year old in 40 SHL games, so Salomonsson produced at 4 times the rate.
Ok sorry similar stats to Lundmark at 20 years old. 1 year difference. Still when you compare his output to Mc Groarty, or Lambert at the same age, it's not even close...I hope you guys are right, for your sake, just seems odd that a 2nd round pick from the same draft as Mc Groarty and Lambert who have both performed better since, is suddenly our best prospect. I think it's wishful thinking, but people voted for Trudeau 4 times, so I can believe anything is possible.

Reactions: Cypruss and Bigfish

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Me too
Do you like his prospects?
I think he should have been on the Jets 3 years ago... his gap control and zone exits were solid - if he gets his confidence back, I think he's top 4...

If he's paired with Stanley, he ends up a bust - I think Miller is the perfect pairing for him though

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ok sorry similar stats to Lundmark at 20 years old. 1 year difference. Still when you compare his output to Mc Groarty, or Lambert at the same age, it's not even close...I hope you guys are right, for your sake, just seems odd that a 2nd round pick from the same draft as Mc Groarty and Lambert who have both performed better since, is suddenly our best prospect. I think it's wishful thinking, but people voted for Trudeau 4 times, so I can believe anything is possible.
Can we avoid politics in this forum, please?

Salomonsson is a D and played in a top, low-scoring league so I don't expect him to have the same scoring stats as Lambert and McGroarty.

As I noted, I think they are close but I think Salomonsson's progression and tools make him a potential very good NHL RHD.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Salomonsson is a D and played in a top, low-scoring league so I don't expect him to have the same scoring stats as Lambert and McGroarty.

As I noted, I think they are close but I think Salomonsson's progression and tools make him a potential very good NHL RHD.
Exactly.
Do we expect a D in that league to keep up, points wise, to Barlow and McG?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
To me our top prospect is Lambert. This particular organization has sought to address any barriers to reach his potential and I think he is taking full advantage. I think his ceiling is the highest of all prospects and my bet hedges on the organization being very good, for the most part, at developing players after the draft.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
To me our top prospect is Lambert. This particular organization has sought to address any barriers to reach his potential and I think he is taking full advantage. I think his ceiling is the highest of all prospects and my bet hedges on the organization being very good, for the most part, at developing players after the draft.
It's an interesting point and part of the difficulty with this particular year's rankings.

Lambert is that guy that was bypassed in the draft by most organizations and the Jets development plan seems to have fit him rather perfectly. Took a look at the guy and figured out west was best for his confidence for a year and he bought in. Another year in the A and he again bought in and performed very, very well. He certainly impressed in his shot in the spring, albeit a nothing game (as did Chibrikov - novel approach, show up, be hungry, play hard, hope management notices). Lambert knows where he was ranked a year prior to the draft and he wants to prove himself. Novel concept.

Heinola seems like he shouldn't actually be a prospect and as such I don't know where to place him. Injury not happening and he likely isn't eligible for ROY (and we likely move on from Tree). The Jets, through improper management (IMO) and bad luck, overcooked this prospect and I think it may hurt them down the road, but credit to tiny Heiny he's kept his mouth shut the whole time from what I can see. Really, he should be the guy that makes it this year, above anyone else and he should be able to have an impact once he settles in.

Salmonsson is a fave of mine. If you dig out the polls from last year you'll see me voting for him way, way earlier than everyone else until he finally got his spot. He did some pretty good things overseas and should show really well here. But the Jets, as seen with Heinola and Morrissey really slow cook their D prospects, to the dismay of many. Perhaps he knocks down the door, but I'm thinking he easily sees a year in the A, if not more. I'm still really excited by him, but based on impact in the NHL he's probably number five, if not six (Chibrikov).

Barlow is a bit of a wild card. Not sure how his year will play out but I think it's in a dominant role in the juniors because of his age and how thinks work. I think he'll be an NHLer but I wonder if he doesn't become something of an heir apparent to Lowry in style though obviously on the wing. So he's got a while, though lots of promise in the middle six. I'm just not convinced he'll be top six.

McGroarty would be the top prospect but for the current situation. Where that will end up nobody knows. Hoping he still ends up a Jet and if so he's #1.

Chibrikov is being overlooked (it's really early) but I think this guy can be a bit of a Swiss army knife for the Jets. That motor reminds me of Tanev but with more talent. That to me is a guy who runs anywhere from 4th to 2nd line without missing a beat. If he's waiver exempt, then he probably ends up down on the Moose but I think he's real close and can contribute in a variety of roles.

How long does Rashevsky have left on his KHL deal? No guarantees but maybe he's the next Russian that steps in and is something of a star. His highlight reals are something else and he'll be quite mature when he comes over so he might be a very nice wildcard.

Too early on Freij but he gives me Morrissey vibes. Probably three years out but he's very interesting.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Can we avoid politics in this forum, please?

I can do that...

But I have to go back to what irks me...Lambert at the same age is playing against top prospects, the likes of Edvinsson, Wallinder, Kasper....Kemell, Tomasino...Bourque, Lambos...on and on. In a higher talent league and was recognized for his play...watching him play his size is going to be less of an issue than Ehlers, because he will go to the dirty areas. Mc Groarty captained a successful US team and dominated in the same tourney that Salomonsson was in...I like the kid but I wouldn't rate him a Brock Faber prospect yet...let's see how he handles the smaller ice, and faster pace first. For me he is not even ahead of Heinola this year and maybe Barlow too. It's a democracy though so everyone votes according to their own perspective.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Looks like a tie...do you go on to 3 or 4 from here?

I'd like to see Chibrikov, Lucius, Frej and Milic get into the next rounds...does Parker Ford qualify?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
McGroarty is dead to me. Voted Salomonsson.

Can't exactly disagree.
But - He can be our best prospect without being OUR prospect at all if he can return more value than the next best prospect. Right now, I'm not too optimistic for his trade value though. So I voted Salomonsson.

Reactions: TS Quint

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
McGroarty....

star-wars-you-were-the-chosen-one.gif

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
My knee-jerk response is McG. But when I really think about it, look at the progression, and consider Lambert’s numbers in the AHL last year (and his age at the time), I’m gonna say Lambert.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00