2024 Prospect Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
I have such heat with players initiating contact or going into the boards back first then getting crushed (Ciona didn't even hit him that hard) and drawing a penalty. Those shouldn't be penalties.

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Parekh turns it over leading to a 2 on 0 in OT and the Jets win it. Unfortunate.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Team definitely improved after the 1st, Brzustewicz was great in the 2nd and 3rd.
Liked what I saw from Mews, Morton, Lipinski, Stromgren, Misa, Laing, Ciona, and Battaglia.
Wanted to see more from Gridin, Basha, Honzek, Morin, and Parekh.

Lambert could play in the NHL for the Jets this year. That big D Salomennson or something looked good for them too.

Reactions: salwan

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Team definitely improved after the 1st, Brzustewicz was great in the 2nd and 3rd.
Liked what I saw from Mews, Morton, Lipinski, Stromgren, Misa, Laing, Ciona, and Battaglia.
Wanted to see more from Gridin, Basha, Honzek, Morin, and Parekh.

I thought Basha looked pretty decent after the 1st period and Gridin showed flashes off the rush.

I know I said I put little into this tourney and it's early, but Honzek is pushing on bust status more and more. I don't know which one of our scouts thinks there is anything remotely resembling Rantanen there.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I thought Basha looked pretty decent after the 1st period and Gridin showed flashes off the rush.

They weren't terrible or even bad really but both were trying to do too much themselves. Which whatever it's a for fun scrimmage. I don't think either got a dangerous shot on goal despite having lots of opportunities to do so. Just wanted to see more.

I know I said I put little into this tourney and it's early, but Honzek is pushing on bust status more and more. I don't know which one of our scouts thinks there is anything remotely resembling Rantanen there.

I did not like that pick. Wanted Musty or Ritchie. But big skinny prospects like him take more time than others do and he's lost a lot of development because of injury. I don't know what the plan is there with him, he can play in the AHL but probably won't get the big minutes he would in the WHL.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I missed the first but here were some thoughts.

Brewski was a machine. Wouldn’t surprise me if in 5 years he ends up the best prospect of this bunch.

I live in BC so I tend to see the BC guys a lot. Lipinski just impresses me every time I watch him.

Mews played pretty well.

Gridin and Basha showed flashes.

Honzek was largely invisible but didn’t make any bad plays. Just not a top prospect imo.

Parekh was brutal but the puck just follows him around. So much skill there. He’ll figure it out. Saw him after the game out for dinner along with a few other prospects, I think Strongren was one. Huska was there at the bar too.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Just my two cents adding to what others said.

Stromgren looked strong. Was not expecting that reverse hit where he leveled the Vancouver defender. He looks like he could be a year or two away from being a difference maker with his mix of size and skill.

Don’t agree with Gridin not looking great. The man has high end puck skills and offensive instincts. Had some turnovers from trying to do too much, but as young 18 year old he looked very noticeable all game which is a great sign. Has some real jump in the offensive zone.

Anyone criticizing Brzustewicz skating hasn’t seen him recently. Will never be a strength or elite attribute but he can definitely move out there. Offensively you can see the hype, he is phenomenal in the offensive zone.

Basha and Parekh looked 18. Can tell the high end puck skills were there (I knew Basha had skill but was honestly still surprised by what he can do), but both made mistakes that will be coached out of them.

You can tell Morton is too old for this tournament. Doubt he projects as an everyday NHLer, but was definitely the stand out of the game.

Honzek is still figuring out his size. Sounds like he added a lot of weight this offseason working out with Pospisil, I imagine he struggles in the AHL this season then slowly starts to put it together a la Stromgren. I actually liked his hockey IQ this game, he’s definitely a smart player.

Ciona looked speedy and had a bit of skill with the puck on his stick. Might have a bottom 6er on our hands in 2-3 years.

Mews showed his potential. Can skate himself out of trouble and made some nice plays. Still think he projects as a 2nd pair defender, despite what looks like a log jam ahead of him as Brzustewicz and Parekh will definitely reach the big leagues before him.

Overall, great two periods of hockey. First period was an unmitigated disaster, but all the timings looked off. Pretty easy to suppose it’s a matter of lack of time together as a group, and considering Winnipeg is probably the best team in this tournament in terms of age of talent, I think we should do pretty great from here forward as chemistry builds. None of these players are contenders at all for playing time to start the season though.

Reactions: salwan

Ledge And Dairy

I missed the first but here were some thoughts.

Brewski was a machine. Wouldn’t surprise me if in 5 years he ends up the best prospect of this bunch.

I live in BC so I tend to see the BC guys a lot. Lipinski just impresses me every time I watch him.

Mews played pretty well.

Gridin and Basha showed flashes.

Honzek was largely invisible but didn’t make any bad plays. Just not a top prospect imo.

Parekh was brutal but the puck just follows him around. So much skill there. He’ll figure it out. Saw him after the game out for dinner along with a few other prospects, I think Strongren was one. Huska was there at the bar too.
I'm not at all worried about Parekh. His playstyle is very hit or miss for a tournament like this. He will either dominate by skating circles or look awful because he has nobody to pass to and just gets shut down. Lack of set plays, familiarity, and knowing when to cover his pinching will lead to that. Winnipeg has a very good prospect pool, especially among the forwards, expect him to be more dominant against the weaker pools of Edmonton and Vancouver

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm not at all worried about Parekh. His playstyle is very hit or miss for a tournament like this. He will either dominate by skating circles or look awful because he has nobody to pass to and just gets shut down. Lack of set plays, familiarity, and knowing when to cover his pinching will lead to that. Winnipeg has a very good prospect pool, especially among the forwards, expect him to be more dominant against the weaker pools of Edmonton and Vancouver
Vancouver's prospect pool is actually underrated. Even without their best prospect, they dominated Edmonton. I absolutely do think we're better than them in prospects, especially in depth, but Canucks aren't to be taken lightly.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Honzek yet to do something impressive in flames silks, but I guess he’s 5 years younger than a guy like Morton, who looked like a borderline nhler himself.

Parehk with the reminder of why he dropped to us, yet he still was a threat on offence.

Besides that I liked Stromgren/Bruz/lipinski

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
How did that pair of Grush & Brzust look?
Guessing that'll be the 2nd pair on The Wranglers.

Some good and some bad moments. Our best pairing which wasn't saying a whole lot. Grushnikov did not play very well. Bru had a tough start with several bad giveaways but then was making a lot of good plays as the game went on. I don't think the ice was very good.

Could definitely make for a decent AHL pairing but I kind of hope they try Poirier and Brzustewicz together for a bit. Force Poirier to slow down and Hunter to speed up and be responsible.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Yeah Grush was pretty bad. For someone CP has been slobbering over how good defensively he supposedly is, his defense last night was a dumpster fire, getting beating to pucks, losing puck battles, bad passes, turnovers. Just one game, hopefully looks better tonight with a game under his belt playing with Bru.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Anyone see Morton getting some NHL games this year?
magic-mystery-ball.gif

Yeah Grush was pretty bad. For someone CP has been slobbering over how good defensively he supposedly is, his defense last night was a dumpster fire, getting beating to pucks, losing puck battles, bad passes, turnovers. Just one game, hopefully looks better tonight with a game under his belt playing with Bru.
I don't even think "it's just one game" applies. It's the 1st game in 4-5 months? One practice together before the game with a partner he probably just met within the last week.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Some good and some bad moments. Our best pairing which wasn't saying a whole lot. Grushnikov did not play very well. Bru had a tough start with several bad giveaways but then was making a lot of good plays as the game went on. I don't think the ice was very good.

Could definitely make for a decent AHL pairing but I kind of hope they try Poirier and Brzustewicz together for a bit. Force Poirier to slow down and Hunter to speed up and be responsible.
I'm hoping for
Poirier - Kuz
Grush - Aspirot
Tinordi - Bruiser

Poirier and Bruiser together would be a defensive trainwreck of epic proportions.

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Missed the first period, but Flames up 2-1 on the Oilers from goals by Basha (on the PP assisted from Misa and Bru with a nice play) and Morton (good rush, assisted by Stromgren and Honzek). Flames on the PP now.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
McNamara has hands of whatever is harder than stone lol

Missed the first period, but Flames up 2-1 on the Oilers from goals by Basha (on the PP assisted from Misa and Bru with a nice play) and Morton (good rush, assisted by Stromgren and Honzek). Flames on the PP now.
Bruiser has really looked incredible on the PP, he and Basha have really stood out with their PP work

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Parekh off the post after dominating forecheck from manlets Basha and Misa. I really like these two together, look really quick and highly skilled.

More good plays from Basha and Misa, almost get another one off a good shift. Ciona fits well with them, big body who wins his puck battles to get it to the little guys who dance around. Really fun line to watch.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
Misa gets an empty netter to end the game. 3-1 Flames over the DISGUSTING Edmonton Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad