2024 Prospect Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

PositionNameNumber
GoalieWaltteri Ignatjew40
GoalieMatt Radomsky50
GoalieConnor Murphy81
DefencemanArtem Grushnikov3
DefencemanHunter Brzustewicz48
DefencemanEric Jamieson55
DefencemanHenry Mews56
DefencemanJoni Jurmo57
DefencemanEtienne Morin59
DefencemanAxel Hurtig67
DefencemanZayne Parekh89
Left WingSamuel Honzek42
CentreSam Morton45
Left WingAndrew Basha49
Left WingMatvei Gridin51
Right WingHunter Laing53
Left WingJacob Battaglia60
Right WingTrevor Janicke63
Right WingWilliam Stromgren65
CentreJaden Lipinski73
Left Wing Lucas Ciona74
Left Wing Luke Misa 78
CentreDavid Silye83
Left WingParker Bell87
Left WingLuke McNamara 95

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Young Stars Schedule:

Friday: 5pm MT vs Jets
Saturday: 8:30pm MT vs Oilers
Monday: 3:00pm MT vs Canucks

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

A few changes from last year's roster...

Forwards
#39 – Matt Coronato – 20 Y/O – Calgary Flames (NHL)
#42 – Samuel Honzek – 18 Y/O – Vancouver Giants (WHL)
#43 – Adam Klapka – 23 Y/O – Calgary Wranglers (AHL)
#51 – Oliver Tulk (ATO) – 18 Y/O – Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
#56 – Oliver Peer (ATO) – 20 Y/O – Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
#65 – William Strömgren – 20 Y/O – Calgary Wranglers (AHL)
#73 – Jaden Lipinski – 18 Y/O – Vancouver Giants (WHL)
#74 – Lucas Ciona – 20 Y/O – Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
#77 – Ilya Nikolaev – 22 Y/O – Calgary Wranglers (AHL)/Rapid City Rush (ECHL)
#86 – Rory Kerins – 21 Y/O – Calgary Wranglers (AHL)/Rapid City Rush (ECHL)
#87 – Parker Bell – 19 Y/O – Tri-City Americans (WHL)
#92 – Nathan Pilling (ATO) – 19 Y/O – Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
#93 – Mark Duarte (AHL) – 20 Y/O – Soo Greyhounds (OHL)

Defence
#53 – Charles Cote (ATO) – 19 Y/O – Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
#44 – Mikael Diotte (ATO) – 20 Y/O Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
#36 – Tyson Galloway (ATO) – 20 Y/O – Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
#96 – Jarrod Gourley (AHL) – 24 Y/O – Utica Comets (AHL)/Adirondack Thunder (ECHL)
#37 – Yan Kuznetsov – 21 Y/O – Calgary Wranglers (AHL)
#45 – Donovan McCoy (ATO) – 18 Y/O – Peterborough Petes (OHL)
59 – Etienne Morin – 18 Y/O – Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
#72 – Jeremie Poirier – 21 Y/O – Calgary Wranglers (AHL) – Dealing with an injury so will not participate at the Young Stars Classic 94
#94 – Quinn Mantei (ATO) – 18 Y/OBrandon Wheat Kings (WHL)

Goalies
#40 – Jari Kykkanen (ATO) – 19 Y/O – Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
#81 – Connor Murphy (AHL) – 24 Y/O – Union College (NCAA)
#50 – Matt Radomsky (AHL) – 24 Y/O – U. of Alaska-Fairbanks (NCAA)

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just a reminder, for those that are curious, these classics generally generated between 3-6 NHL players for Calgary of various quality.
The best bet is to really focus on the big names at camp, or high production standouts on their junior teams.

Hate to say this, the guys where you go 'man he's responsible, good two-way guy' you can almost disregard at this tournament :laugh:

My recommendation:
Focus on the big 4D we have there:
Brzustewicz, Mews, Morin and Parekh

On offence focus on:
Honzek, Misa, Basha, Gridin and Stromgren.

A number of those guys will likely be the ones at camp who end up playing NHL games. Guys like Battaglia and Lipinski are also worth keeping an eye on.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Just a reminder, for those that are curious, these classics generally generated between 3-6 NHL players for Calgary of various quality.
The best bet is to really focus on the big names at camp, or high production standouts on their junior teams.

Hate to say this, the guys where you go 'man he's responsible, good two-way guy' you can almost disregard at this tournament :laugh:

My recommendation:

On offence focus on:

A number of those guys will likely be the ones at camp who end up playing NHL games. Guys like Battaglia and Lipinski are also worth keeping an eye on.

One of the guys who really blew me away at this tournament was Garnet Hathaway and while he won't have a 15goal season he's having a solid career with over 500 games and a new 2 year deal.

I think this gives some guys that aren't necessarily top 50 draft picks a chance to showcase themselves against younger players. I'd watch guys like Morton and Stromgren over a few others to see if they can really separate themselves from the under 20s.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

My recommendation:

On offence focus on:

I don't even focus that much, I just like to think of it as "f*** yeah, hockey is starting".

These guys skate together today for the first time (officially) and play their first game tomorrow, there is no time to prepare as a team.

Honestly the only thing that really stands out to me from previous tourneys was Ras not backing down from Nurse. He knew he was gonna get rag dolled but showed a ton of heart.

Edit:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

My recommendation:

On offence focus on:

These tournaments are also typically dominated by the older prospects, where a no name 22 year old is still 4 years of development and training ahead promising 18 year old. When our high end 18 and 19 year olds don’t dominate, it’s not the end of world. Edmontons camp has a 1999 born and a 2000 born for this tournament for crying out loud.

Reactions: Figgy44 and Volica

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
These tournaments are also typically dominated by the older prospects, where a no name 22 year old is still 4 years of development and training ahead promising 18 year old. When our high end 18 and 19 year olds don’t dominate, it’s not the end of world. Edmontons camp has a 1999 born and a 2000 born for this tournament for crying out loud.
So do we. Trevor Janicke was born in 2000, Matt Radomsky and David Silye were born in 1999. I'm sure teh Canucks and Jets have some too. They generally tend to be NCAA players that completed their full 4 years before going pro.... I still don't know how Janicke played 5 years in the NCAA

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’ll be there for the fourth year in a row.

Last year standouts for me were E. Morin and Chibrikov. The player I thought that was most outstanding was Bruzstewicz with Vancouver.

Really like the depth of our blue line. We’ve got some older guys in net which should help.

Most looking forward to see if Honzek takes a big step this year because he was pretty brutal last year (saw him live 4 times). I’ll try to write some reports for Misa, Basha, Stromgren, Gridin and Battaglia, Lipinksi, and Ciona. Lots of potential but hard to expect too much from most of the guys in their first Young Stars.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty wild they went from 6 AHL/ATO guys last year on the blueline to none for this one. Curious to see how Ignatjew looks in his first NA action.

Forward I'm most excited to see in action is Gridin.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I would but every time I try to read his name I go boss eyed.

??

Is that when you run into a situation that causes you to turn into Super Nintendo Chalmers?

93babg.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Young Stars Classic... what a misnomer. A lot of these guys won't even make it as a regular nhl'er let alone be recognized as a star.
They should drop a lot of these guys and replace them with players who aren't on the list but are definitely fighting for a Flames roster spot and are better players than some that on this year's roster. Guys like Coronato, Pelletier, Klapka, Kerins possibly, Poirier, Kuznetzov.
Not sure if adding players that Ive listed is somehow against the rules but if it is, they should change the rules.
It certainly would be more entertaining hockey to watch and pay to see.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Young Stars Classic... what a misnomer. A lot of these guys won't even make it as a regular nhl'er let alone be recognized as a star.
They should drop a lot of these guys and replace them with players who aren't on the list but are definitely fighting for a Flames roster spot and are better players than some that on this year's roster. Guys like Coronato, Pelletier, Klapka, Kerins possibly, Poirier, Kuznetzov.
Not sure if adding players that Ive listed is somehow against the rules but if it is, they should change the rules.
It certainly would be more entertaining hockey to watch and pay to see.

I think you're missing the entire point of the tournament

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think you're missing the entire point of the tournament
Pre-season hockey entertainment for the fans while giving the opportunity to our younger potential NHL players to show their stuff? I get it... I just would rather see games where players that I mentioned were in the lineup too instead of a number of nobodies that will be lucky to become career AHL'ers let alone NHL stars.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Pre-season hockey entertainment for the fans while giving the opportunity to our younger potential NHL players to show their stuff? I get it... I just would rather see games where players that I mentioned were in the lineup too instead of a number of nobodies that will be lucky to become career AHL'ers let alone NHL stars.
Like it is a prospects tournament, but it's a prospects tournament for guys who don't have a lot of (NA) pro experience. Being able to throw in Klapka, and Coronato would defeat the point of this tournament.

Reactions: Lunatik

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Like it is a prospects tournament, but it's a prospects tournament for guys who don't have a lot of (NA) pro experience. Being able to throw in Klapka, and Coronato would defeat the point of this tournament.
there players were also likely "stars" on the teams they are leaving.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
You say you get it… then you show us you dont get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad